Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Discussion on 970 ESPN on OL

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great Discussion on 970 ESPN on OL

I just turned over to 970 ESPN to listen to Tunch and Wolf. They talked briefly about the OL and what they've been witnessing in camp. Now granted, it is early as they haven't even played a preseason game yet, but by all accounts, Tunch and Wolf are both loving what they are seeing at camp. Most notably, the discussion on Marcus Gilbert. They say he is having a tremendous camp so far, and his pass blocking has improved.. Tunch says he's noticed his stance has changed a bit and Wolf mentioned his hands are coming up alot quicker because of that and he's engaging his defender alot faster than in the past........

I would say this is the direct result in our change in OL coaches..... Kudos to the Steelers for bringing in Munchak.....Tunch is saying his presence alone has raised the bar......

They were also talking about the athleticism along the OL, they all have slimmed down a bit. DeCastro is a mean, slimmed down OG at 315lb ..... Gilbert is on a diet and doesn't even eat red meats....Any of you see Beachum eating water melon on his FB page? Gee whiz, the kid looks so young....

Looking forward to seeing if all this positive news follows through into the regular season.....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

If this is true about Gilbert's improvement, then we should probably try to extend his contract now, since it is up after the season. It certainly doesn't sound like Adams is the long-term answer, because reports seem to be indicating that he is actually regressing (if that was even possible).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's barely possible. I mean Adams had sub average skill and may be regressing to no skill. I am still baffled that some scouts had a first round grade on him.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If this is true about Gilbert's improvement, then we should probably try to extend his contract now, since it is up after the season. It certainly doesn't sound like Adams is the long-term answer, because reports seem to be indicating that he is actually regressing (if that was even possible).
    Adams is terrible. I am somewhat shocked that Gilbert is anything better than horrible too. I hope it's true. I swear every time I notice him he is either wiffing on a block, holding or committing a false start. He has been garbage so far.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Now let's just hope Pouncey doesn't get thrown around and dominated like he did in last year's preseason games.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Give it to him, gilbert looking lean and ready to go

Pouncey too

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I agree. I would try and sign him now to a long term contract. Jury is out on Adams, and it looks like Beachum has locked down the LT position and Gilbert the same at RT.

Wolf said this morning that the kid (Gilbert) looks and literally is always hungry because of the diet he's on and he's also 'hungry' to be a long term starter in the NFL..... I always liked the kid- I just thought he had to grow up some......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Give it to him, gilbert looking lean and ready to go

Pouncey too

There's a pic of my buddy Will Simmons--- #65. Would like to see him make the PS. He's a good OG/OT. Can play multiple positions...
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers do like their multiple positioned offensive linemen!

Anyways, it's good to see that there has been improvement by Gilbert! Glad to see that Pouncey and Gilbert are slimming down as well...just hope they can both stay healthy now.

Gilbert is naturally going to play for a contract this year....this season is a huge test for him. Adams on the other hand...waste of a second rounder, now that you look at it.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Adams needs to be motivated constantly, and maybe get linked onto Luminosity. Otherwise, it's wasted physical potential and #2 draft pick.