Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Something many of you didn't know about Wallace vs Brown...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Not to this extent. He missed two games, in 5 years, that he couldn't have played in. One in 2009 and one in 2011.

It's funny hearing Rooney, "Our priority is keeping Ben healthy"

But they have no clue how to do it.
    How do they do it? Ben has to be the hardest quarterback in the NFL to protect. You never know where he might end up on any given play. I love Ben, but sometime he is his own worst enemy when it comes to taking sacks. His never give up on a play attitude is awesome, but it does lead to hits, hits that can be avoided. Ben doesn't want to change, most fans don't want him to change and I hope he never changes, but protecting Ben is not an easy task.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

IT wasn't Haley's fault he was hurt.... it happens. The problem is Ben's style and guys like Crash think it's wimpy to avoid a hit or give up on a play that "appears over" to everyone but Ben.

Do I want him to change? Sure... not his hunger for winning but his appetite for contact. It's almost like Ben gets bored when he isn't hit or he isn't really playing football unless he is taking a few on the chin.

Most fans of Ben will say he is a great pocket passer who rarely does the sand lot thing but IMO the risk outweighs the reward. Trying to throw a pass in SF the 2 years ago when draped by 3 guys? For what? The never say die attitude isn't working out too well... I think it's time from Ben to grow as a player.

Legend

User Info Menu

How do they do it? Ben has to be the hardest quarterback in the NFL to protect.

It's rather simple.

Stay out of 3rd and predictable. Move the pocket. Slants, crossing patterns, mis directions, etc.

If you want Ben to use his RBs as pass catchers use them on DESIGNED 1st option plays which Haley at times did, but not nearly enough, instead of having them as mere checkdowns.

Trying to limit his hits via trying to limit his pass attempts doesn't work when you are in 3rd and pass all day.

And most important. KEEP HEATH MILLER OUT OF THE $%^&*( BACKFIELD!

That play takes too long to develop, always has.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wonder what Hines Ward's mother would have to say to Wallace after that: "Well Mike, your just gonna have to try harder to make them notice". A whole different perspective on how to approach adversity. Sadly, some of these young kids were never taught well by their mothers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    BROWN loves the game and is willing to do anything asked of him ... He will improve every year.

Mike Wallace peaked in his 2nd year ... other teams know his 1 strength and they've taken that away.
    You could also say Brown peaked in his second year.

Brown's 321 yard decrease from his second year (1108 yards) to his third year (787 yards) is much greater than Wallace's 64 yard decrease from his second year (1257 yards) to his third year (1193 yards).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Which Steeler had the best YAC? Would you guess Wallace? Brown?

Wrong.

Heath 23rd in NFL with 351 yds

Next:

Brown 32nd in NFL with 319. Yards/gm Brown 60.5, good for 34th.

Wallace? didnt make top 40 in either case..... oh that's right. he wasn't targeted enough to stay interested...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    You could also say Brown peaked in his second year.

Brown's 321 yard decrease from his second year (1108 yards) to his third year (787 yards) is much greater than Wallace's 64 yard decrease from his second year (1257 yards) to his third year (1193 yards).
    Brown missed three games with injury and wasn't effective probably parts of two or three other games because of injury. Wallace missed the last game for injury and was healthy the rest of the year. So I think that should be part of this equation, for 2012. Wallace could have had the contract they gave Brown but he didn't report. So, they gave it to Brown. Not a bad decision, since I think Brown's season was impacted a lot more this season by injury than Wallace's was. I think he will always outwork Wallace and be a better route runner. He has also has return ability that Wallace doesn't give you.

Wallace has rare speed but I don't think he is the complete receiver. He is bigger and stronger than Brown but I think Brown has better hands. Thay are different but Brown has rare work ethic and Wallace has rare speed. They are both a little cocky but I think Wallace is more money oriented. If he were not, the Steelers would have signed him. I don't think they can sign both so Wallace is gone. Wallace made the decision just as much as the Steelers did. I think they will be be OK because QBs make the receiver more than the reverse. As long as Ben can stay healthy and still show willingness to improve, the Steelers will be good at receiver because I think there are good ones out there.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Brown has a rare work ethic, why did he only know the routes for 1 of the WR positions when he was on this team for a year-and-a-half instead of the routes for all 3 of the WR positions?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Brown has a rare work ethic, why did he only know the routes for 1 of the WR positions when he was on this team for a year-and-a-half instead of the routes for all 3 of the WR positions?
    And that's the part of the story that doesn't hold water for me...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Don't believe everything you read. Also when I say rare work ethic, I mean, training in a physical sense, getting in shape and catching passes. I think he surpasses Wallace and most others in that way. Mentally? does he know the routes. I am not sure about that, but I don't place entire faith in 2nd and 3rd hand reports, though.