Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rooney is happy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Well then, thank goodness that the Steelers witnessed Wallace's underperforming season before they threw good money after bad, eh?
    Well played.

Still, go on- admit it- Brown didn't need to be paid $42 million 2 days after Wallace rejected an offer. Not knowing he was a RFA, not UFA, the next off season.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Just keeping an eye on things.

Pappy
    How's the view?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Well played.

Still, go on- admit it- Brown didn't need to be paid $42 million 2 days after Wallace rejected an offer. Not knowing he was a RFA, not UFA, the next off season.
    All I know is what I saw on the field...

With that in mind, I don't believe either player deserved that contract based upon last season...

Brown has the contract because Wallace didn't want it...now, Brown has to earn that contract going forward and Wallace will, most likely, be earning a contract somewhere else...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    All I know is what I saw on the field...

With that in mind, I don't believe either player deserved that contract based upon last season...

Brown has the contract because Wallace didn't want it...now, Brown has to earn that contract going forward and Wallace will, most likely, be earning a contract somewhere else...
    So we agree that the FO messed up?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't recall Rooney saying he wanted to run MORE. He said he wanted to run more EFFECTIVELY.
    True story people overlook!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think I've ever seen Chadman so far off in his analysis as he is in this post.

Here's the sticking points for Chadman from Rooney:

He says the Offense was "right on pace" through 9 games, and that Ben was achieving his goal of 'much fewer sacks'.

That's rubbish. Firstly, Rooney was adamant- so much so that he sacked Arians- that the Offense needed to run more. The result? We ran less this year than ANY YEAR UNDER ARAINS. Even the 2012 Colts, under ARAINS, ran the ball more than the 2012 Steelers. This Offense was not on the pre-2012 season Rooney version of 'Right on pace'. In fact, Haley's offense was doing the polar opposite of what Rooney wanted.
    First wrong point ... Rooney NEVER said we needed to run the ball more. He said we need to run the ball more EFFECTIVELY. Did we do that? Not over the course of the season but if you look at games 7, 8, and 9 you will see we were on track.

As for the sacks- 42 last year, 37 this year. Is 5 'much less'?

Again you missed the point. Rooney said we were on track through game 9. Through the first 9 games in 2011 Ben was sacked 26 times. Through the first 9 games in 2012 Ben was sacked 17 times and almost a third of those sacks came in the first game. I would say knocking your average down by 1 sack a game is a significant improvement.

He then goes on to say 'focus' played it's part in the Steelers woes. Right- agreed. But who was to blame for a lack of focus & team chemistry this season? How about the 'retiring' of Arians, obviously not a choice of Tomlin's, before the season kicked off? How did that work for 'focus'? was it a distraction? The media sure thought so. And then hiring Haley, who everyone knew has the tendency to 'shake things up'. How did that help 'focus' when your star QB is suddenly given an OC designed to 'shake the cage'? And then the Mike Wallace/Antonio Brown contract saga- want to talk about focus & team chemistry? How do you think Brown getting Wallace's 'money' helped 'focus' this season?
    So now you don't want the team to make coaching changes because it will cause them to lose "focus"? So you don't want the owner to try and improve an offense that is an inconsistent mess and would never win anything without its star QB. That doesn't make any sense. You want your offense to be solely dependent on one person so if that person has a bad day you are almost guaranteed a loss. It's a good thing the 49ers of the 80s didn't think that way. If Montana had a bad day then Craig, Rice, Taylor, or Brent Jones would take over.

As far as the receivers contract I don't see a problem. They tried to sign Wallace and when he turned down their final offer they moved on to whom they considered their next highest priority ... Antonio Brown. I think Wallace was going to be a distraction whether they signed Brown or not. He, or his agent, think he is worth more than the Steelers do. Do you want them to just back up the Brinks truck to Wallace's house and pay him whatever he wants so he doesn't lose focus? I don't think that is a very smart plan.

The very things Rooney bemoans as reasons for a poor season stem from him.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

One needs to look within themselves, Chadman suspects.
    I agree that Rooney didn't handle the Arians situation correctly. They should have just fired him instead of trying to be nice and say he retired. That's what happens when you try and be nice ... it comes back to bite you in the azz. Other than that I think you are just tilting at windmills.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Chadman is positively chuffed that he made Hawaiiansteel happy because he had previously made Crash happy.
    I'm happy you are all getting along!

I read Rooney's comments and it sounded like he said, "I'm not hungry but I could eat!"

Legend

User Info Menu

So you don't want the owner to try and improve an offense that is an inconsistent mess and would never win anything without its star QB.

No, I'd rather he let the people he pays to coach his football team do it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

"Joke of a situation"?? What situation are you talking about?
    Oh let me count the ways.

1. Going from 6-3 to 7-8.
    2. Losing to Cle, Oak, TN and SD.
    3. 26th rushing ranking, on a team that cherishes running the ball.
    4. a 3.7 avg. yards per rush. Pathetic.
    5. 24th in sacks, on a team that supposedly has a defense that prioritizes getting to the QB.
    6. a team with players who don't give a full effort - completely unacceptable.
    7. a QB who publicly rips his coaching staff.
    8. a QB who throws bonehead pics in the clutch, losing games from his stupidity.
    9. a coach who makes major gaffs during the games - leading to losses from pure idiocy.
    10. a team that lacks hearts, chemistry and discipline.

Do I need to go on?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Roid - what should Art 2 have said?
    I would have preferred something more appropriate, like, "We have some issues that need addressed and we will address them. Most everyone on this team and staff have areas that need to improve." He didn't have to throw anyone under the bus but they "Gee whiz, everything is super groovy" take is completely unacceptable.