Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's Lynn Swann?

Legend

User Info Menu

Who's Lynn Swann?

Talking to a coworker about sports and somehow we got on the topic of Hockey and the Stanley Cup... this turns into a story about the Pens and Mario and Sid and I tell him they live in the same town I grew up in. From there I tell him about a pee wee football game I was at a few years ago and my cousin is telling me how his son isn't getting the ball because they stopped running once Swann joined the team. Now, I'm thinking he means a kid who plays like Swann... but it's really Lynn Swann's son. This isn't too much of a shock because he also lives in the same town and it's not uncommon to see him walking around...

Anyways... while I'm telling this story my coworker is looking at me like as in WHO THE F@#$ is Lynn Swann? Wait, huh, what??? This guy talks football all day long, is originally from right outside of Philly in NJ but claims he has never heard of Swann. He is in his mid 30's. I backed away slowly and haven't said a word to him in 2 days.

I don't trust him. Is this odd or common?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I suppose it's possible for someone outside the 'burg to have never heard of swanny - but it seems unlikely for anyone who claims to be a fan of the NFL. Even if you only have a passing interest, swann's catches in the superbowl make NFL network and espn several times a year.

I say don't trust him.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No.........way......... !!!! So you work in the post office ? Seriously, if you grew up in any era the flashbacks of the catch Swann made in the Super Bowl has to be an imprint in your mind because they show it so much. That's like asking, who was Joe DeMaggio or Marylnn Monroe.

If someone said that here at work they would be getting drug tested.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Talking to a coworker about sports and somehow we got on the topic of Hockey and the Stanley Cup... this turns into a story about the Pens and Mario and Sid and I tell him they live in the same town I grew up in. From there I tell him about a pee wee football game I was at a few years ago and my cousin is telling me how his son isn't getting the ball because they stopped running once Swann joined the team. Now, I'm thinking he means a kid who plays like Swann... but it's really Lynn Swann's son. This isn't too much of a shock because he also lives in the same town and it's not uncommon to see him walking around...

Anyways... while I'm telling this story my coworker is looking at me like as in WHO THE F@#$ is Lynn Swann? Wait, huh, what??? This guy talks football all day long, is originally from right outside of Philly in NJ but claims he has never heard of Swann. He is in his mid 30's. I backed away slowly and haven't said a word to him in 2 days.

I don't trust him. Is this odd or common?
    He is an alien from another world, posing as a human, and Lynn Swann was accidentally left out of his original programming. I thought you were going to say he was in his early 20s and I _might_ be able to grasp it. But, no, not someone who claims to super be into football. I don't care about the old Packers or Jim Brown et all but I _KNOW_ of them.

Legend

User Info Menu

If he's in his 30s, it's possible he didn't see the Steelers' SuperBowl runs. Although he should at least remember Swanny as a college sideline reporter. Or as a ballerina. Or something.

I met him once walking down the street in AZ of all places when he was covering college football. Then another time, a girl I was dating dragged me to see the Nutcracker. I remember complaining to everyone how lame it was, but I had to go. Then we showed up and who's in the seats right next to us? Swann and his wife. I think that changed my life that day. From then on, I've always felt like there's a potential for something great in any situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    If he's in his 30s, it's possible he didn't see the Steelers' SuperBowl runs. Although he should at least remember Swanny as a college sideline reporter. Or as a ballerina. Or something.
    Or as a guy who ran for governor.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If he's drinking Balantine beer, I can see why he never heard of Swann, the poor soul needs to pump an Iron!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Why did they have cars on the field?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    You know, unless we want to start up a whole new round of Mendenhall hate- it might be advisable to not show Rashard the Youtube options available after Dee Dub's vid....
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE