Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers 2012: Lawyers Gone Mad

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers 2012: Lawyers Gone Mad

Now, we tried it Art II's way and what happened? 8-8.

Now maybe the lawyer will know his place and leave the football decisions to those who are paid to do it.

Todd Haley's play-calling sucks. He makes Bruce Arians who had issues with tipping plays based on formation look like Einstein. From his micro-management of the run game to his insistence on giving no hopers like David Paulson and Will Johnson snaps it was obvious from day one that this was going to be a failure.

The 3rd down Ben offense was doomed from the start. All it did was set him up to get crunched. And that's what happened. Spare me the OL injuries. Ben was Housini on 3rd down long before the injuries hit. Not to mention the fact that the run game sucked because every freaking run was between the tackles. Also, how many times are we going to line up a RB 8 1/2 yards behind the LOS on 2nd and 3rd and 1 only to see it fail before something changes?

Blaming Ben for the Dallas and Cincy games is the easy way out. Facts are it should have never been that close. Simply put, we don't attack teams anymore. We are so obsessed with resting and preserving the defense's reputation (more on that in a bit) that we sacrifice our offense at the expense of points to do it.

Three examples right off the top:

Antonio Brown's return to the Dallas 50.

Next three plays? Run run pass.

Cortez Allen's pick against the Bengals FINALLY gives the offense a short field.

Next three plays? Run run pass.

First down at the Steelers 46 in a tie game at Cincy.

Next 5 plays?

WR screen (BA got flogged for those btw), run run run Ben scramble, miss a 53 yard FG.

Now be honest with yourselves, if that's Arians calling the same plays what's said? He'd get destroyed and you all know it.

So don't let the local golf pro off the hook.

What's funny though is I don't think Ben and Haley have issues. Do they disagree on playcalling? Probably. Philosophy on offense? Perhaps.

But I think Ben also knows that Haley is only doing what ownership wants. I think Ben realizes that even a puppet has to eat and pay his bills.

If Ben has any beef's, it's with Art. After Art blamed Ben and Arians for 2012, then he sits there and sees Arians in the playoffs you don't think Ben's pissed? Going to be real interesting what Art decides to do if Arians gets a head coaching gig in the NFC (I don't think Art's that dumb to trade him in his own conference).

The status quo can't continue, one of three things must occur.

1. Tomlin is allowed to fire Haley, and hire his own OC. If not, I could see a proud man like Tomlin walking.

2. Art needs to step aside, and allow Haley to run the offense as HE (and not Art II) sees fit.

2. If Haley stays and this is the offense Art AND Haley wants? Then Ben has to go. You can't pay a guy $15 million a year to be Trent Dilfer. To dink and dunk your way on 3rd down all year, and then when that doesn't work all of the sudden in the last two minutes of a game yell "Ben, save us!". It's not fair to Ben, nor is it fair to the rest of the offense, to be handcuffed by the desires of ownership to relive the past. You can't play this way with 6th round picks and un-drafted free agents.

If this is what Art wants them to be? Trade Ben for two #1's, load up on running backs and more defense (Because paying that side of the ball double than what the offense gets to blow 4th quarter leads all year didn't work) and quit the square peg into round holes BS that's going on now.

It's 2013 people, if Art II doesn't realize it? Expect more of the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with a lot of this... not on trading Ben or Tomlin walking but I think the 3rd down conversion was all Ben and not really a testimony of how good the O was due to play calling. Also need to stop running up the gut. We have Rainey and he ran off tackle how many times?

...and those bubble screens, hated them before and hate them now. This offense doesn't attack and that's the one area where BA was good... he loved to go vertical and with small, fast WR's that makes sense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

"Spare me the OL injuries."

NO

it was a MAJOR reason for our problems. Not saying Haley was any good or not, but the root problem was OL injuries that led to Big Ben injury which led to 8-8.
    We went about fixing the OL in the offseason, but at 6-3 we just couldn't keep any traction after injuries began mounting.
    Blame what you want, but only after OL damage is acknowledged as the root problem with the O.
    Personally I didn't like the O nor Haley, but it would have worked well enough and we could have done some post-season damage had the OL not been a total mess ruining Ben's year with a nasty rb injury.
    Last edited by aggiebones; 01-09-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is John Elway vs. Dan Reeves all over again.

But the guy Ben has issues with isn't the head coach, he's the owner.

Wonder if Ben's been to Philly recently?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    "Spare me the OL injuries."

NO

it was a MAJOR reason for our problems. Not saying Haley was any good or not, but the root problem was OL injuries that led to Big Ben injury which led to 8-8.
    We went about fixing the OL in the offseason, but at 6-3 we just couldn't keep any traction after injuries began mounting.
    Blame what you want, but only after OL damage is acknowledged as the root problem with the O.
    Arians dealt with injuries to his OL also. His running game wasn't nearly this awful.

The offense's problem is predictable play-calling.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nice...Crash is back
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman agrees with this straw being stirred.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

This post is almost as dopey as moving Woodley to the right side
    Last edited by pittpete; 01-09-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not going to defend Haley's play-calling the last 3 or 4 games...it wasn't very good. But giving Haley all the blame for the 8-8 season? Seems to me there are plenty of others to share it with him.

You might get your wish, anyway...I wouldn't be surprised to see Haley coaching the Redbirds next season. Maybe Kirby Wilson will run an offense more to your liking.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Just get a OC that will let Ben call all the plays then Crash will be happy.