Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Is this the year Cowher Returns To Coaching?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I would give you that evaluation..That is fair. I'm more proactive & get agitated quicker.
    Oh, and I would rather have my first two picks (Terrence Williams and Kevin Minter), than your first two (Alec Olgetree and Eric Reid).....
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Probably no worse when Noll players left Bill. If Bill couldn't win with
    A good healthy Ol, Dl a hall of fame Rb loylld, Brown, Green, Kirkland, Woodson, Lake, Perry, and the wrs he had then what make you think he could win now?
    Very similar situations....Cowher went to a bowl with them...then they retired/left via FA like we are seeing now. Cowher then built the team that went on to win a SB for him and another for Tomlin. Let's see if Tomlin can now build a stud team now that the vets are leaving.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Cowher was more of a "buddy" with his favorite players than Tomlin is...

Cowher inherited two Hall of Famers, Woodson and Dawson, one on each side of the ball...in addition to players like Barry Foster, Merril Hoge and Eric Green on offense...Greg Lloyd, Hardy Nickerson and Carnell Lake on defense...

Please, let's don't pretend that Cowher did not inherit any talent...
    Cowher had Rod and Lloyd till around 96 or 97, so around 5 years each, but the last year or two of each of their careers in Pgh were spent injured. Sort of like Troy and Harrison. So Cowher and Tomlin took over teams with some talent, I never said they didn't. What I said is lets see if Tomlin can build the team that Cowher did.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cowher...A buddy??? What did you watch or what did you read? Cowher was anything but someones buddy on the field. He didn't wait to approach you. He would get you coming off the field.

I didn't see you mention Cowher inheriting a SB QB. Noll's last 7 years here saw the Steelers miss the playoffs 6 out of 7 years. Cowher came in coming off of the Malone / Brister run with O'Donell coming off his 8 start 2nd year. Cowhers run had O'Donnell, Tomzak, Stewart, & Maddox before he got BB. The names Aikman, Young, Favre, Ellway, Warner, & Brady highlighted the SBs over that time. Yeah...Cowher had the talent at QB to compete with that. So Tomlin inherits a team that was in the playoffs 4 out of 6 years with a SB win, a franchise QB, and possibly double the hall of famers & Pro Bowlers...But you think Cowher came into the same talent situation? Wow. Disagree there. Did you forget Cowher took that team he inherited to the playoffs the first 6 years he was here before his first 2 losing seasons? I'm not going to compare their body of work yet but Tomlin's has to take "his core" of players back to the top before I anoint him better than Cowher. That is where he is at right now. Tomlin got to utilize BB in his prime since he came here. My expectations are higher because of that and need to be met before I give him his due acolades. The real Mike Tomlin will stand up over the next 2-3 years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Oh, and I would rather have my first two picks (Terrence Williams and Kevin Minter), than your first two (Alec Olgetree and Eric Reid).....
    I have no problem with your fist two picks. To be honest, like all the players in your mock. Just don't know what they are thinking or how the offseason pans out.

The Steelers signed Brian Rolle to a future contract. I'm starting to get the feeling the Steelers are leaning toward an ILB later, if at all, because they know the status of Spence & Foote. Spence may be a PUP canidate & Foote brought back as insurance. Rolle would be good depth & ST player. Rolle could very well find himself on the field with Timmons sliding over. Maybe Foote won't be brought back...Who knows. I'm starting to lean towards an ILB later now. Someone like Nico Johnson if he falls in the 3rd or Kiko Alonso in the 4th.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Cowher...A buddy??? What did you watch or what did you read? Cowher was anything but someones buddy on the field. He didn't wait to approach you. He would get you coming off the field.
    When I see a player kiss Tomlin, I will believe that he's the players' "buddy"...

cowherkissfrontx.jpg

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When I see a player kiss Tomlin, I will believe that he's the players' "buddy"...

cowherkissfrontx.jpg
    Or cater to Kordell after benching him. Besides it was Cowhers fault that he decided to stick with Stewart and didn't Even want Ben.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I didn't intend for this thread to be about Cowher vs Tomlin, only that Cowher is getting ansy and might want to re-enter the NFL as a coach.
    As I stated the speculation is there every year about Bill, what he will do is up in the air as it always is until he says one way or another what his intentions are.

From what I'm gathering, Bill is content with his current gig, but at the same time the rumor is he wants a new challenge. He got the chance to spend time with his kids, so whats left but what he knows. If he does return to coaching I wish him well, no matter where he goes or what he does he's still a pittsburgh guy.

He did well in his life, not bad for a guy from Crafton!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

cowherkissfrontx.jpg
    That's what you theory is based on???? Incredible! Now I see what I'm dealing with.

Rookie

User Info Menu

That's what you theory is based on???? Incredible! Now I see what I'm dealing with.
    Just an example, JPN...

By the way, what exactly is YOUR theory based on? Hmmm?