Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is this the year Cowher Returns To Coaching?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124092/article/bill-cowher-reportedly-wont-coach-for-4-to-5-years[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Ok, Chadman wades in..

History tells us that Tomlin & the Steelers will not have back-to-back failed seasons. They'll be in the playoffs next season. To be honest- they were really not that far off now.

Cowher will always have a place for most of us. Will he coach again? Maybe. You know what? The longer he stays out, the less likely it is to happen. So if he wants back in, now is the time. He would do WONDERS for an organisation like Cleveland if given the right amount of control.

Tomlin certainly inherited a bunch of hardened vets from Cowher. Every new coach inherits good players from the previous guy. Instead of holding it against Tomlin that he found success with some of Cowher's guys- we should congratulate him for doing what was best for the organisation, instead of trying to change things just because he was the new guy in town. He was smart enough to see he had a good team, and he used that. He now faces a greater challenge in that those guys that won it for him are rapidly leaving his service. Now we'll see what sort of talent accumulater Tomlin is. But be careful before you put the fork in him as we see the Steelers new-comers struggling...what we are experiencing right now is 'rapid change'- lots of new guys being rushed into starting roles as old guys are shipped out... it'll take some time before we see "Tomlin's guys" at their best.

But Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Adams, Hood, Heyward, Brown, Sanders, Wallace, Woodley, Timmons, Lewis, Allen.... these are not bad pieces to put together. They are not at their peak yet, but the new framework looks promising.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I'm still waiting for his team to "not go gentle" & "unleash hell".

Players are an extension of their coaches. Late game collapses & not winning the games you should are the footprints of a mentally soft team. Talking about getting it corrected isn't the same as doing it. He lacks discipline among his players which is evident by the lack of their attention to detail. They are professionals. Don't be afraid to hurt their ego and not challenge them. Tomlin is what dictates the balance between team chemistry & accountabilty. I believe he is more of a "players coach" than someone who can coach a player. It is only getting more difficult as this team gets younger. Not everyone is self sufficient...Most Vets are. The young guys need direction and it is lacking. Tomlin can get this going in the right direction but I believe he needs to expect more out of his young players and make it known to them. I don't think he challanges his players enough. There is a difference between trying to motivate them with words & pushing them to get better. Tomlin seems like he rather pat them on the back when they are winning rather than kick them in the A$$ & tell them they need to get better.

That is my opinion. I could be wrong...And to be honest I hope I am so they get it turned around. Until I see the youth core respond the way they should...I have my doubts.
    One could say that losing AFC championship games at home is also the extension of the coach...

We have to take the good with the bad...

With every bad/disagreeable thing that Tomlin has done, Cowher did it before and more often...

Bur, give Tomlin time....he'll catch up....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    One could say that losing AFC championship games at home is also the extension of the coach...

With every bad/disagreeable thing that Tomlin has done, Cowher did it before and more often...

I agree, many seems to forget all those blown AFFCG against teams we were favorite against in Cowher era.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Very much so! I know it hurts losing but isn't getting there in itself something to speak of? Cowher got to the AFC Championship Game 6 out of the 15 years he was here. He went 2-4 in those games with losses to SD, Denver, & NE twice. 3 of those 4 losses turned out to be the SB Champs. 3 years with BB he went to 2 AFCCG (1-1) & 1 SB win. Tomlin has 6 years with BB, has 2 AFCCG (2-0) & 1 SB win.

You look at Tomlin & Cowher they are close. Arguments will be made about Tomlin doing it with Cowher's players. Tomlin won his SB with 18 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. His SB loss had 12 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. Last year it was 11 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. That may give a little insight to my concerns & point. Tomlin's fingerprints should be showing as "his players" start. As Cowher's starters leave his numbers look to be going the wrong direction. If it continues? This team could see 7 players that started for Cowher starting here next year. As little as 2-3 in 2014. At some point Tomlin & his players have make there mark. Isn't it reasonable to expect it in 2013 or 2014? I believe it is. Cowher had his 2-3 year slump with no QB and got it going. Tomlin had his franchise guy here & went 1 & done and then 8-8. Maybe I have less patience than the next but missing the playoffs in 2013 with BB at the helm will have me starting to push him out the door.

Again, I'm not saying we should get Cowher back for Tomlin. I'm saying I would take Cowher back if Tomlin can't right this ship. I have noticed things that are a concern. I see a trend. Tomlin & his players have to step forward now that the vet core is being turned over. I haven't seen that yet. I hope he does because I don't want to live through mediocrity.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Very much so! I know it hurts losing but isn't getting there in itself something to speak of? Cowher got to the AFC Championship Game 6 out of the 15 years he was here. He went 2-4 in those games with losses to SD, Denver, & NE twice. 3 of those 4 losses turned out to be the SB Champs. 3 years with BB he went to 2 AFCCG (1-1) & 1 SB win. Tomlin has 6 years with BB, has 2 AFCCG (2-0) & 1 SB win.

You look at Tomlin & Cowher they are close. Arguments will be made about Tomlin doing it with Cowher's players. Tomlin won his SB with 18 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. His SB loss had 12 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. Last year it was 11 out of 22 starters that started for Cowher. That may give a little insight to my concerns & point. Tomlin's fingerprints should be showing as "his players" start. As Cowher's starters leave his numbers look to be going the wrong direction. If it continues? This team could see 7 players that started for Cowher starting here next year. As little as 2-3 in 2014. At some point Tomlin & his players have make there mark. Isn't it reasonable to expect it in 2013 or 2014? I believe it is. Cowher had his 2-3 year slump with no QB and got it going. Tomlin had his franchise guy here & went 1 & done and then 8-8. Maybe I have less patience than the next but missing the playoffs in 2013 with BB at the helm will have me starting to push him out the door.

Again, I'm not saying we should get Cowher back for Tomlin. I'm saying I would take Cowher back if Tomlin can't right this ship. I have noticed things that are a concern. I see a trend. Tomlin & his players have to step forward now that the vet core is being turned over. I haven't seen that yet. I hope he does because I don't want to live through mediocrity.
    I think Tomlin will be given the same opportunity as Cowher was...but, I honestly don't think Tomlin will go three consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    I agree, many seems to forget all those blown AFFCG against teams we were favorite against in Cowher era.
    I certainly remember those losses and some of them still hurt. I think that Cowher was a victim of his own success. I believe that Steeler fans think that those teams were much more talented than they really were. How many of those players were ever heard from again after they left the Cowher led Steelers? If you think back you will find that it wasn't that many.

In my mind Cowher was a master motivator ... second only to Vince Lombardi. He got those players to play above their talent level. Somehow, week after week, he found a way to push a players button so that he would perform above and beyond his capabilities. However, this could only take him so far. He had a couple of things working against him. The first was he isn't a great 'X's and O's type of guy and he didn't always listen to the assistants that were. The second was no matter how much you motivate a QB he has to have talent.

If you go back and remember when Cowher decided he wasn't going to yell and scream on the sidelines, he thought it sent a bad message to his girls, and we were lousy that year. Then there was his last year when he mailed it in ... we were bad that year also. Sure, there were other years we weren't great but by and large the Steelers were a team of over-achievers under Cowher.

The only reason we were in those AFCCGs was because Cowher got us there. So I don't think of his legacy in the Burgh was he lost the big game. I think it is he got us to the big game.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Tomlin will be given the same opportunity as Cowher was...but, I honestly don't think Tomlin will go three consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance...
    I have some doubts until I see some signs. I do think the Rooney's will take into consideration having BB & where he is at in his career if and/or when a decision has to be made. I don't think they will wait until Tomlin misses three season in a row to turn up the heat on him. Let's hope this discussion doesn't heat up after the 2013 season. Let's hope the conversation is about if a "hangover" will happen the 3rd time around.