Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lolley: Steelers' Contract Situations

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    And the plan for finding two starting OLBs that will actually be able to play for LeBeau is exactly what?
    It's a given Harrison is gone and Woodley have underperformed for two straight seasons since payday, so I really don't see a loss. I believe the team think highly of the rookie Robison who actually led the preseason in sacks and pressure.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    If they go with #2, we have to hope they find replacements for our older guys that will make an impact down the road while Ben is still there. Problem is how do you replace Players like Harrison? We seen that pic this year when he was out no one even close to what he does when healthy.
    We got lucky with Harrison. Cowher did everything he could to make sure he was not a Steeler. Can't expect that to happen again which is why you need to make changes on defense that give you a higher probability of finding successful replacements for the player we have now. That could be simplifying what we do or it could be a new scheme. Let the guys who get the big bucks decide but the reality is we have some players running below a quarter tank on the fuel guage. If we go until we are compeltely out of gas we have a bigger problem.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

IMO, this Steelers teams biggest problem this year was health. Sure, there are other issues but it's not like this team was getting blown out or anything. To me, they should maintain what they can on D and do what they can to make the O just a little better. Let these guys heal up and bring in a new Special Teams coach. That's it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The key to success is to know when to cut your losses and move on in a new direction. We have had a great ride but the horses are almost at the glue factory door.
    The key to success is knowing what is actually a loss and what is still useful...

We just have a difference of opinion on that matter...

Legend

User Info Menu

Nowhere in the article does Lolly mention the cap expansion in 2014 when the new TV deal kicks in. Any decision is made with this in mind.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ok I am confused. It has been reported here on Planetsteelers that the Steelers would be close to $30 million over the cap. But Lolley is saying only $13 million. Is this correct? If so this is great news. They aren't in bad shape at all.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ok I am confused. It has been reported here on Planetsteelers that the Steelers would be close to $30 million over the cap. But Lolley is saying only $13 million. Is this correct? If so this is great news. They aren't in bad shape at all.
    I think the $13 million takes only players under contract into consideration...

I don't think it includes any tender offers, tags or the rookie pool under the salary cap...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

IMHO, this team was close to being a super bowl contender but not quite there. I don't think it does us any good to reload for one more year with some of these older guys as opposed to using 2013 as a chance to retool and get in good shape in terms of the cap. As mentioned this is not the last year we have Ben and I would rather see the Steelers set themselves up for five or six more good chances with Ben at the helm rather than try to win one more with a group of guys that seem to be spending an increasing amount of time on the bench.

What's more, I don't think Troy is the disruptive force he used to be -- even when healthy. I think teams have improved the way they plan for him.

So I would definitely be in the rip the band-aid off camp (I actually wanted them to do it last off season).

Out: Troy, Ike, Harrison, Kiesel
    Keep: Anybody who protects Ben, Plax if cheap
    Borderline: Foote, Mendy, Wallace (if he is even interested in staying)

Move Woodley to the right and play Worilds on the left. If Woodley doesn't perform up to his pay level next year, then ship him as well. Given what we are spending on D, it shouldn't take three years to fold players into the starting 11. I like DL, but if I was the FO, it would seem hard to justify spending that much on D and at the same time requiring 2-3 years to get a guy up to speed.

Also, we need a punter who can pin teams deep. I'd gladly give up a few yards per punt if it meant getting a guy who could consistently kill a ball inside the ten.

I know there is a line of thinking that the FO should essentially mortgage the future to try to win with Ben now. But given that there will still be time to do that over the next six years or so, I don't see the point.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I think the $13 million takes only players under contract into consideration...

I don't think it includes any tender offers, tags or the rookie pool under the salary cap...
    Well that's still great. $13 million is a whole lot better than $30 million. And a couple of restructures and that becomes very doable.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Ditch Woodley, Harrison and Colon then restructure Timmons and problem solved.

You need to read [URL="http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/1/9/3853220/steelers-2013-salary-cap-details-news-options-roster-Woodley-Harrison"]this[/URL], it's just not that easy