Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It turns out, Te'o ain't all that

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    In Burficts case, NFL teams considered him a problem with off field issues, he was a playmaker on the field but also a loose cannon with several personal foul calls against him.
    Marvin Lewis took a chance on him, they were successful, having some discipline now and a pay check, he realizes whats at stake so he plays hard without the dumb penalties that give the opponent new life.

BTW, led the team in tackles. With T'eo, people who evaluate prospects want to see more, if he screws up in the senior bowl, I might consider the taxi squad.
    Yes sir know all about Burfict's "problems". He also had a bad combine. Fell from a 1st rd pick to UDFA. Big fall but proved he can still play in the nfl if he can stay out of trouble.
    The senior bowl will be interesting. Even then he is still not a practice squad player.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Plus, Burfict had a totally half-a**ed final year. He looked out of shape and unmotivated.

He probably had too much fun at ASU.
    Last edited by Steelton Maniac; 01-08-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    When hype goes wrong.... the kid is good but some made him out to be the next Willis. He looked like Arnold last night.
    What you talkin bout Willis?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=SS Laser;543147]Yes sir know all about Burfict's "problems". He also had a bad combine. Fell from a 1st rd pick to UDFA. Big fall but proved he can still play in the nfl if he can stay out of trouble.
    The senior bowl will be interesting. Even then he is still not a practice squad player.[/QUOTE]

Laser, I wasn't serious about him regarding the practice squad, just trying to add some levity. Seriously he may turn into a good NFL prospect, but he has to put that vision of himself last night out of everyones mind. For one, MLB's don't usually go high in the draft in this pass happy league, teams are looking for shut down corners and OLB's first to have better success at shutting down pass plays.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So Te'o is sitting there for us in the second round....we draft him right?

Starter

User Info Menu

Good point about Notre Dame and competition integrity or lack of

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Te'O will be a GREAT NFL LB. Not going to defend his play last night but i'm also not stupid enough to think 1 game takes away from his talent and ability to grow in the NFL.

The sad part is Notre Dame isn't in a CONFERENCE and didn't have to beat a top 5 team to get in the Championship Game. What a joke this whole thing was....face it, College Football will do anything to get Notre Dame in the Spotlight b/c of VIEWERSHIP

Legend

User Info Menu

I said it before. The Steelers 1st rd pick HAS to be a 'cant' miss'. There are way too many needs on this team. We got enough Ziggys and Heywards. Steelers need a season 1 contributor whether offense or defense.

In the interest of full disclosure, I seen Teo in a total of 1 game this season... last night. What I seen did not look very impressive. Some said it was because the DL didn't eat up blockers. NEWSFLASH: this is exactly what an ILB will see on this Steelers team until the DL is upgraded. So do we watch Teo get dominated for 2 or 3 yrs waiting for that to happen or do we upgrade the guys in front of him??

Would rather the Steelers target the BPA NT or maybe DE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I said it before. The Steelers 1st rd pick HAS to be a 'cant' miss'. There are way too many needs on this team. We got enough Ziggys and Heywards. Steelers need a season 1 contributor whether offense or defense.

In the interest of full disclosure, I seen Teo in a total of 1 game this season... last night. What I seen did not look very impressive. Some said it was because the DL didn't eat up blockers. NEWSFLASH: this is exactly what an ILB will see on this Steelers team until the DL is upgraded. So do we watch Teo get dominated for 2 or 3 yrs waiting for that to happen or do we upgrade the guys in front of him??

Would rather the Steelers target the BPA NT or maybe DE.
    Can't disagree with the NT part. Spot on. The key to the Steelers D going from 'good' to 'special' is the ability of the DL to soak up the blockers & get those high paid LB's making 'splash plays'.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jj28west View Post
    Good point about Notre Dame and competition integrity or lack of
    Like 'em or not, you can't fault Notre Dame for the schedule they sign up every year. Take a look at this article, which was written before last night's game: [url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1473885-what-we-learned-about-notre-dame-alabama-from-opponents-bowl-games[/url]

From this article.......

Alabama squared off with seven bowl teams, while Notre Dame faced nine this year.
    Alabama’s schedule featured seven teams that made bowl games this fall. The overall record for those teams in the postseason was 3-4.
    Overall, the [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1178154-alabama-2012-football-schedule-keys-to-each-game"]Alabama schedule[/URL] was not that difficult once the season concluded, and the dust has since settled. The Tide did win the games they should have, and they did it convincingly. Former opponents have had mixed bowl success, but every team has been competitive.
    The Irish faced nine teams this year that finished the season as bowl eligible. The overall record of their bowl opponents was 3-6.
    Notre Dame entered year with what was expected to be the toughest schedule in the country, but as the season progressed, it was apparent that the lineup was not as tough as originally thought.
    It became obvious that the Notre Dame and Alabama schedules were not that strong this year. They both found ways to win, but when faced with elite talent, they struggled.
    Because of their exposure, Notre Dame never has the option of playing the "North Dakota States" of the world. They have other schools clamoring to face them and they - or more likely NBC - oblige. They may not have played a top 5 team, but they routinely play high profile teams from major conferences each and every year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Walterfootball is a very knowledgeable and reputable draft site:

1(17) Pittsburgh Steelers: Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame

I think this is a good spot for Manti Te'o. He was brutal in the national championship, but that shouldn't erase all of his other great tape. He's still the favorite to be the first inside linebacker off the board, and the 16-25 range seems right for him. Besides, this is the type of move the Steelers normally make. They often are able to snag talented prospects who fall to them later in the first round for whatever reason.

The Steelers have shown interest in first-round inside linebackers. They wanted Dont'a Hightower last April, but David DeCastro was just too good to pass up at No. 24 overall. Pittsburgh still has to find an inside linebacker because Larry Foote was awful this year. He finished near the top of dubious rankings like missed tackles and touchdowns allowed by players at his position.

Pick change; previously Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB LSU

[URL]http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha