Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It turns out, Te'o ain't all that

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Like it or not, Notre Dame earned the right to be thrashed in the BCS title game by virtue of being undefeated...

Because of all the BS polls, preseason polls, computer algorithms, etc., we were treated to that spectacle...

Sometimes, an underdog can defeat a more talented team in a one-off game...this is the entire reason Boise State is famous...

Sometimes, in a title game, you can have one for the ages (the 2003 Fiesta Bowl comes to mind - Miami vs. Ohio State)...other times, you have games like last night...

I think Te'o is a good player...I still think he's first round worthy...
    First of all, it's rare for an ILB to be 1st-round worthy; not extremely rare, but not the general rule. Yes, Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis et al are worth first round picks, obviously. But I agree with another poster who said Te'o is about as good as Ray Maualuga, who is decent, just not as good as his hype was either. And, I don't think this game is merely just "one bad game." It was the first time he played a legit top team, and they blew him away, running right at him. He missed tackle after tackle. No way is he a top 10 talent - not even close.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    What this game will do is confirm the concerns scouts have about Te'o. Their study of him will intensify now that the season is over. Still a very good ILB.

His game is not head and shoulders above Ogletree and Minter.
    Again..Ogletree and Minter have a boat load of first round picks on the defenses they play in. Te'o doesnt. That is a reality. And it makes a huge difference.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

When hype goes wrong.... the kid is good but some made him out to be the next Willis. He looked like Arnold last night.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Again..Ogletree and Minter have a boat load of first round picks on the defenses they play in. Te'o doesnt. That is a reality. And it makes a huge difference.
    Placing way way too much on this point. Your scrambling.

There is not much difference between him and the other top ILB prospects. Plain and simple.

Legend

User Info Menu

you can't make excuses for the way Te'o was run through by the Bama RB's... I think most people who are shocked expected Te'o to be the one guy who wouldn't get overwhelmed by Bama's talent.

Kind of reminds me of Brian Bozworth after Bo Jackson ran him over... it's hard to look at Te'o the same after watching that game. I'm curious to see how he does at the Senior Bowl.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It has been said that Te'o will put up avg. numbers at the combine. Maybe he drops to the second were we pick? How nice would that be. Look at the bengals and burfict.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you can't make excuses for the way Te'o was run through by the Bama RB's... I think most people who are shocked expected Te'o to be the one guy who wouldn't get overwhelmed by Bama's talent.

Kind of reminds me of Brian Bozworth after Bo Jackson ran him over... it's hard to look at Te'o the same after watching that game. I'm curious to see how he does at the Senior Bowl.
    I have no excuse...he played poorly last night. But he was never run over by a RB. He missed a few tackles on RB's but never run over by one. That is slightly different thatn waht happened to Brian Bosworth. Now..he did get engulfed and push back a few times by an Alabama O -lineman but what LB wouldnt have?

Saying that it isnt fair to compare Te'o to Ogletree and Minter isnt fair since they have a ton of NFL talent around them and Te'o doesnt. That has nothing to do with excusing his play last night. Minter has maybe 3 NFL first round picks playing in front of him. Ogletree has at least two.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I have no excuse...he played poorly last night. But he was never run over by a RB. He missed a few tackles on RB's but never run over by one. That is slightly different thatn waht happened to Brian Bosworth. Now..he did get engulfed and push back a few times by an Alabama O -lineman but what LB wouldnt have?

Saying that it isnt fair to compare Te'o to Ogletree and Minter isnt fair since they have a ton of NFL talent around them and Te'o doesnt. That has nothing to do with excusing his play last night. Minter has maybe 3 NFL first round picks playing in front of him. Ogletree has at least two.
    I don't care about Minter or Ogletree.... you kept touting Te'o for weeks on here and he looked bad. The kid feasted on 10 teams with 5 losses... let's keep it in perspective. He is a good player but he played a really good team last night and he looked small and played small.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is true. Notre Dame doesn't have as many top picks overall.

However, they may have the best 3-4 defensive linemen in all of college football. Nix is the top rated sophomore defensive tackle according to Cooney's Sports Exchange (draftscout.com). Tuitt is the second rated sophomore DE behind Clowney. Kapron Lewis-Moore got hurt in the game, but he is also a good 3-4 DE who was expected to be drafted in the middle rounds (before he blew his knee out last night). Te'o's fellow linebackers and DBs are not as talented as others. But that front is as good as Georgia's starting 3-4 linemen and Alabama's 3-4 starting linemen, and probably better. As Steeler fans, we know that 3-4 linemen have a lot to do with a linebacker's success, especially against the run. Te'o is not playing with chopped liver as you suggest.

My point is not that I think this game shows that he is a poor prospect. In fact, I still like him and think he'll be a good pro. But, this game raised some red flags. And a lot of the excuses for him are ringing a little hollow.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    It has been said that Te'o will put up avg. numbers at the combine. Maybe he drops to the second were we pick? How nice would that be. Look at the bengals and burfict.
    In Burficts case, NFL teams considered him a problem with off field issues, he was a playmaker on the field but also a loose cannon with several personal foul calls against him.
    Marvin Lewis took a chance on him, they were successful, having some discipline now and a pay check, he realizes whats at stake so he plays hard without the dumb penalties that give the opponent new life.

BTW, led the team in tackles. With T'eo, people who evaluate prospects want to see more, if he screws up in the senior bowl, I might consider the taxi squad.