Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drafting Strategy - Need vs Best Player Available

Legend

User Info Menu

There was a story about Kevin Colbert a couple of years ago about his draft strategy. Essentially, the Steelers compile "Draft Bubbles" of 12 players that they feel (from doing multiple mock drafts amongst staff, from memory) will be available around the Steelers pick. They then prioritize each player from 1-12, and scratch off each name as they are removed from the board on draft day. From memory, there was something about guys they felt would not be available being placed in a seperate bubble, and they get consideration if they fall... but a bit hazy on the details.

As to how the Steelers prioritize- although they haven't said it, pretty sure steelz09 has it right- BPA at a position of need. So, because the Steelers have, say Pouncey at OC... then OC isn't a 'need', and therefore all OC's are off the board... but because NT is a 'need', they'll look at the BPA that is a NT..or a Safety...WR..RB...up to 12 players.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wouldn't have an issue the way Colbert evaluates the draft, for the most part he's done well, I just wished he could of hit it with Hood and Heyward. Maybe both those guys will be better with John Jenkins in the middle.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    guys they felt would not be available being placed in a seperate bubble, and they get consideration if they fall
    I'm guessing that both Mendenhall and Sweed were in that bubble.

I would think that Decastro was there too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll go out on a limb here and say that determining the "BP" in BPA is probably a whole lot more difficult than determining the "need". In otherwords, how do you decide that the 'best' safety available is a better player than the 'best' LB available? If a Troy P is available in the same draft as a P Willis, which do you take? Maybe easy in the first rd, but after that...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I'm guessing that both Mendenhall and Sweed were in that bubble.

I would think that Decastro was there too.
    From memory that is absolutely correct- Sweed they even had given a 1st Round grade to. Ziggy Hood is another that, from memory, came from 'outside the bubble'.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    There was a story about Kevin Colbert a couple of years ago about his draft strategy. Essentially, the Steelers compile "Draft Bubbles" of 12 players that they feel (from doing multiple mock drafts amongst staff, from memory) will be available around the Steelers pick. They then prioritize each player from 1-12, and scratch off each name as they are removed from the board on draft day. From memory, there was something about guys they felt would not be available being placed in a seperate bubble, and they get consideration if they fall... but a bit hazy on the details.

As to how the Steelers prioritize- although they haven't said it, pretty sure steelz09 has it right- BPA at a position of need. So, because the Steelers have, say Pouncey at OC... then OC isn't a 'need', and therefore all OC's are off the board... but because NT is a 'need', they'll look at the BPA that is a NT..or a Safety...WR..RB...up to 12 players.
    I wonder if they adjust the bubbles as the draft unfolds? For example, let's say we draft a FS in round 1. Do we take FS out of all the other bubbles? And does our 13th player take his place in the bubble for that round?

I agree too that there's gotta be some BPA at position of need that goes into the picks. But I wonder how that balances out. Let's say for example, I have Ray Rice on my roster. And AP in in the draft and no one's picked him yet. What do the Steelers do? ie. when is a guy too good to pass up even though you don't need him?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    At the same time, half of our wins were by 4 points or less. We weren't too many more mistakes from being 4-12.

I'm at a loss with this team. The defense is ranked #1 but has been horrible with take-aways and game-changing plays. The offense has potential super stars on it and was hindered by changing systems, terrible mental mistakes and another year of shuffling the line due to multiple injuries and Ben going down with injury.

I don't know what to expect next year at all. Frustrating.
    I'm with you on that one. I would like to think that we are closer to the balanced team that we saw against Cinci (first game) then the following game against the Giants. That was when we were at our healthiest and our D started to hit its stride.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Steelers seem to rule out certain positions in round 1...normally, QB...
    The Steelers can still rule out a QB this year, but there aren't many other positions where you can say that. They probably will rule out DE with Hood/Heyward both recent picks, but other than that and perhaps center, I'm not sure there is any other position they could rule out. Even if Lewis re-signs, you need at least three good corners and Ike isn't getting any younger. There really isn't any position where you could say the Steelers couldn't use an upgrade, either now or in the future.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The Steelers can still rule out a QB this year, but there aren't many other positions where you can say that. They probably will rule out DE with Hood/Heyward both recent picks, but other than that and perhaps center, I'm not sure there is any other position they could rule out. Even if Lewis re-signs, you need at least three good corners and Ike isn't getting any younger. There really isn't any position where you could say the Steelers couldn't use an upgrade, either now or in the future.
    That's the beauty of BPA. They can basically draft just about anybody first and it will ultimately help the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

QB and DE are out.

Other than that? I'd say everything else is in play.