Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special teams coach

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Special teams coach

Since Smith was fired as coach of the Bears I wonder if special teams coach Dave Toub would be available for the Steelers.
    He's done a great job there and as everyone knows our special teams suck, we could use a coach like him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I guess time will tell on Toub and if he becomes available. There is no doubt we need a new coach. How many fakes were run on us successfully this year? Plus we botched at least one attempt that I've seen, there may have been others but I missed a couple games traveling.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Rookie

User Info Menu

Both Dave Toub (Bears) and Bobby April (Eagles) are signed through 2013...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Both Dave Toub (Bears) and Bobby April (Eagles) are signed through 2013...
    Well in that case, call Steve Tasker the Buff Bills special teams ace who is in the HOF for his special teams play.
    He is a commentator for CBS right now, so he probably has a contract with them.
    I doubt they would pursue him, I don't think he ever coached but he sure was a beast on special teams weighing a little over a buck fifty.

The Steelers will be diligent in their search, we've had bad special teams for years, even when Cowher was coach. I remember Bobby April getting fired under Cowhers watch. They should be searching for a punter as well.
    Whoever they hire, besides the normal things you teach as a coach, I hope they preach discipline as well. Way too many penalty's and if I remember right, Rainey had two returns for TD's that were called back on account of some dumb azz penalty.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bobby April has said in the past he would like to move up from being a special teams coach. I think he's a victim of his own success. I would love to see what he could do as an offensive cordinator. I bet he could keep a defense guessing and be able to get the most out of his players talent.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Bobby April's special teams had a tragically bad season...I don't know that Philly gave him any capable players...

Legend

User Info Menu

Just curious - what makes a guy a good special teams coach or not? What qualities does he need to possess? Is it scheming of some sort? Getting players to listen? The Steelers ST play was horrendous this season. Some of that has to go on the players as well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I oftened wondered that too and I have to guess it's scheme, players being able to understand the scheme and accomplishig what is coached to them. So, I I have to say it's coaching that determines everything that I have mentioned. I realize you will have a player out of position or trying to be a hero at times trying to his own thing but once again, a properly coached team should resolve all the issues.

Legend

User Info Menu

Playing special teams to me is all about wanting to do it (the players) and getting players to want to do it (the coach). You don't really have to be a great football player to be an excellent ST player. A coach has to get the guys on the STs to believe they can make a difference in a game and get them to play with heart and a bit of smarts. Had the Steeler special teams even been average this year the Steelers probably would be in the playoffs; they were dreadful.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have no doubt you have to have the " want to " in you to be good or affective. It has to be orgainized and well coached in my opinion. To have a bunch of wild guys running down the field with no sense of purpose obviously doesn't work.