Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible FA Replacement For Mike Wallace

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Possible FA Replacement For Mike Wallace

Its assumed Mike Wallace is gone, but I don't know if thats for sure, but it looks that way. Even having his worst season as a Steeler, he led the team in receptions and I think TD's as well.
    If Mike indeed leaves, the Steelers might want to get aggressive in the FA market, but a replacement won't come cheap unless they just want another body.
    I would strongly consider Dwayne Bowe of KC, he isn't happy there and you can't blame him, with a better QB like Ben he would flourish in our offense. At 6'2 215 he's a big target, and the physical receiver fans have been talking about, but it will come with a price.
    Can they find a way to even consider a receiver like him? I don't really know, but if we let Wallace walk your letting your most productive receiver go even if you don't agree he is.
    Wallace proved he can be a tremendous receiver for us outside of this year, but even Brown had a bad year, so there is still a slight possibility the Steelers could work out a deal. He won't command the money he wants, and with a decent deal here he may elect to stay.
    Either way, signing Mike or Bowe won't come cheap.
    I know most fans are disappointed how this season ended, the Steelers front office is too, but they should be pissed that we had one of the best defenses and sitting home for the playoffs.

There is talk about releasing players and how it will effect our cap, sooner or later we will be in a bind because of it. Sorry but the Steelers need to remove unproductive players and ones that are in the tub every year.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Knowing what I know about both Wallace and Bowe as well as our salary cap...

Well, the Steelers may be better off letting Wallace leave for a big contract and simply taking the 3rd or 4th round pick it will net us next year (because someone will pay him a huge amount of money!!) and simply drafting a replacement this year...

Legend

User Info Menu

Bowe is going to want as much if not more money than Wallace. The crux of the problem is that we have no money for anyone. We are going to be in the "cut mode" not the "sign mode"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwayne Bowe, as Ovi pointed out, is going to cost "Mike Wallace" money, so if they can't afford Wallace, they can't afford Bowe.

As far as FA WR's go, Chadman has 3 that might suit- Plaxico, Dominik Hixon or Ramses Bardon. Obviously, we know Plax. as a short term option, and with the drafting of a young guy, Chadman thinks Plax could be of some use, without breaking the bank, next season.

More long-term options are the 2 Giants- Hixon & Bardon. Hixon is what you see- a bigger target that could be a nice foil to Antonio Brown. Pretty quick & has the ability to go deep. On top of that- he's not about to command top coin, so he's more the type of target the Steelers might be able to look at. If they want an even younger version of Hixon, then his team mate in Bardon might be an even more budget option for the Steelers. Biggest drawback is that Bardon has never really proven he can be 'the guy', but there are flashes.

Bardon is more your bigger possession WR, but in a Todd Haley offense- that guy has a role.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Dwayne Bowe, as Ovi pointed out, is going to cost "Mike Wallace" money, so if they can't afford Wallace, they can't afford Bowe.

As far as FA WR's go, Chadman has 3 that might suit- Plaxico, Dominik Hixon or Ramses Bardon. Obviously, we know Plax. as a short term option, and with the drafting of a young guy, Chadman thinks Plax could be of some use, without breaking the bank, next season.

More long-term options are the 2 Giants- Hixon & Bardon. Hixon is what you see- a bigger target that could be a nice foil to Antonio Brown. Pretty quick & has the ability to go deep. On top of that- he's not about to command top coin, so he's more the type of target the Steelers might be able to look at. If they want an even younger version of Hixon, then his team mate in Bardon might be an even more budget option for the Steelers. Biggest drawback is that Bardon has never really proven he can be 'the guy', but there are flashes.

Bardon is more your bigger possession WR, but in a Todd Haley offense- that guy has a role.
    Marques Colston is a bigger possession WR...there is nothing wrong with being a bigger possession WR...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Bowe is going to want as much if not more money than Wallace. The crux of the problem is that we have no money for anyone. We are going to be in the "cut mode" not the "sign mode"

If this the case then we should be aggressive in that department too. Why are we keeping an unproductive OLB Woodley? He is the Shawn Merriman (lights out) version of the Steelers minus the roids. We could trade him but probably suffer a cap hit, it won't matter, we will suffer hits no matter what we do. Woodley has a responsibility to be in tip top shape when he comes to camp, when he has a 65 million price tag. No one should have to tell this guy about off season training.
    Everyone is so quick to let Silverback walk and keep Woodley, sorry I put Jason Worlids in his spot, keep Silverback and try to trade Woodley. Some might say thats crazy, well we're talking aggressive here about removing unproductive players. I realize he had injuries for the last few years but we can't afford to pay someone in the tub either.
    At least Harrison came on at the end, and did anyone notice our defense was better when James was in the lineup?
    The Steelers won't do what I'm suggesting but it was just a thought, paying 65 mil for a sloth is questionable in my mind.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The more I think about it, the more I like going after a Ramses Barden...he's huge and can block...he's a good complementary WR for Sanders and Brown...especially if the Steelers continue to throw the short and intermediate routes more than the deep routes...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We don't need WR's. We need an offensive line. Sign Plaxico on a one year deal and play him.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    We don't need WR's. We need an offensive line. Sign Plaxico on a one year deal and play him.
    How about we just sign the best TE we can get? He can help with protection, but also catch passes. With Heath being injured, it's good to have someone on the team that will be able to replace him or team with him when needed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    If this the case then we should be aggressive in that department too. Why are we keeping an unproductive OLB Woodley? He is the Shawn Merriman (lights out) version of the Steelers minus the roids. We could trade him but probably suffer a cap hit, it won't matter, we will suffer hits no matter what we do. Woodley has a responsibility to be in tip top shape when he comes to camp, when he has a 65 million price tag. No one should have to tell this guy about off season training.
    Everyone is so quick to let Silverback walk and keep Woodley, sorry I put Jason Worlids in his spot, keep Silverback and try to trade Woodley. Some might say thats crazy, well we're talking aggressive here about removing unproductive players. I realize he had injuries for the last few years but we can't afford to pay someone in the tub either.
    At least Harrison came on at the end, and did anyone notice our defense was better when James was in the lineup?
    The Steelers won't do what I'm suggesting but it was just a thought, paying 65 mil for a sloth is questionable in my mind.

Trading Woodley would be the type of aggressive move the Patriots would make to get more drfat picks. It is not something the Steelers would do especially as thin as they are at OLB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"