Thread: Who else thinks......

Starter

User Info Menu

Who else thinks......

Who else thinks Marcus Wheaton has a chance to make an immediate impact? I can see him playing in 3 wr sets over Cotchery game 1

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Wheaton will start on special teams...He will most likely be KR/PR guy who will get a chance to be the 3rd WR on depth chart.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

i cant wait to see him play i think he has a real chance

Legend

User Info Menu

It is a tough spot. I think that his game is similar to both Brown and Sanders, while Cotchery or Plax bring something different to the table. I would think that he'd be more likely to spot one of the starters than take the spot of Cotch or Plax as the third guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if he'll make an impact in week 1 but I can see him contributing throughout the season. From what I remember with Sanders, he did not contribute much early but was getting a lot of looks later in his rookie season, and I can see a similar path for Wheaton.

If he plays special teams, there is actually a chance that he'll be active early in the season and perhaps play in 4 WR sets. It will be tough to carry Plaxico and Cotchery active if neither plays special teams.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    It is a tough spot. I think that his game is similar to both Brown and Sanders, while Cotchery or Plax bring something different to the table. I would think that he'd be more likely to spot one of the starters than take the spot of Cotch or Plax as the third guy.
    I was thinking the same thing... But then I thought, how tough is it to cover THREE guys like that at the same time? Someone's going to be matched up against someone who can't keep up with the quickness.

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe Wheaton to be the real deal. I think he gets PT early and thrives.

Legend

User Info Menu

People assume the Steelers need three WRs who have a completely different game. But, I would be VERY ok if we ran with Antonio Brown times three. But, that isn't what we have. Wheaton compares more to Wallace in terms of straight line football speed...but has better route running and is more polished than Wallace was as a rookie. Wheaton can take the top off or play underneath. He is the complete package.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    People assume the Steelers need three WRs who have a completely different game. But, I would be VERY ok if we ran with Antonio Brown times three. But, that isn't what we have. Wheaton compares more to Wallace in terms of straight line football speed...but has better route running and is more polished than Wallace was as a rookie. Wheaton can take the top off or play underneath. He is the complete package.
    You stole my thoughts... totally agree. The Broncos 3 Amigos were all the same size and were a really dynamic group... Wheaton is an upgrade to what we have behind Brown and Sanders. He said he has run in the 4.3 range and was disappointed at his combine time. He has great hands and can stretch the field like Wallace did. I was crossing my fingers that the Steelers would draft someone like Wheaton. Get him in the mix asap. Great pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wheaton will see time.. it's much easier to get on the field as a WR.. especially given our circumstances.