Thread: A measurable that could more accurately reflect player speed.

Starter

User Info Menu

A measurable that could more accurately reflect player speed.

With the talk of Jone's 40 versus game speed I was thinking that maybe acceleration/deceleration may be a better measurement over the span of 40 yards.

If you graphed the time it took the player to reach i.e. 20 mph from the start and then see when the plateau is hit and where the deceleration begins could maybe measure the player's burst more accurately than the other current drills.

just a thought

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jj28west View Post
    With the talk of Jone's 40 versus game speed I was thinking that maybe acceleration/deceleration may be a better measurement over the span of 40 yards.

If you graphed the time it took the player to reach i.e. 20 mph from the start and then see when the plateau is hit and where the deceleration begins could maybe measure the player's burst more accurately than the other current drills.

just a thought
    I always thought it prudent to see if a guy is making plays during a game regardless of how fast he runs from a sprinter's start, they don't get to do that too often in an NFL game. In all seriousness, having a high IQ for the game will make you look faster because you're in the right place at the right time and on time, so it appears that you're fast. If Jarvis Jones is trying to chase down a player that's 25 yards beyond the line of scrimmage then something has gone terribly wrong from a defensive standpoint. If he's trying to chase down a quarterback from the back side behind the line of scrimmage then something has gone very right and then he'll have the sideline helping him.

I'm looking forward to him tightening the pads and playing in training camp.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    4.119 -
    4.120 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm with Pappy here. You just have to see the guy play. And then you clock the guys to make sure he didn't look fast relative to a bunch of really slow guys.

Again, my favorite Jarvis quote I've seen " I'm a student of the game, if I know what you're doing before you do it, it doesn't matter how fast you are."