Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Chadman's 2013 Off-Season Analysis Thread...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Agree with alot of what you say there. Cutting Colon is a tough one. Is he overpriced? Yeah, sure... most likely. Thing is, cutting Colon means another spot to fill on the roster, but only saving just over a million. (Unless after June 1- then yes, a much bigger saving). The other thing to keep in mind with Colon is, if you cut him, the Steelers almost are forced to try & sign Foster, who would cost what? $1.5m a year? $2? More than the savings on Colon- that's for sure. If Colon, Starks & Foster are cut from the roster- the OL is almost too young, and do we really believe the Steelers will put all their eggs in Kelvin Beachum's basket just yet?

The Cap situation might almost dictate that Colon 'needs' to stay, in order to get some value from his roster spot in 2013.

James Harrison might very well 'do a Hampton' & take a paycut. That would just about be ideal, giving Worilds one more season to work his way into a starting role. Alot will depend on the Steelers desire to get younger, but Harrison, like Troy, might be one of those guys that you just have to hold on to.

Unless a major cut- Harrison, Taylor, Polamalu, Clark or even... gulp... Heath Miller happens, Chadman can't see how Lewis can be afforded. The FA market is pretty bare, and Lewis will be one of the more marquee signings available. The Steelers can't compete with that. How ruthless is the Steelers FO prepared to be?

Pretty much resigned to saying goodbye to Starks..
    Colon needs to be cut even if it saves just 1.5. Enough is enough already with that guy. Cut your loses and move on. If nothing else, it opens up a roster spot for a future player such as a draft pick and/or UDFA..
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    But will the Steelers do that? Ike is still a productive starter on this team- not the sort of player the Steelers generally part with. And the deflated FA market will mean Lewis will be a high priority for teams- raising his contract cost. Is he worth overpaying?
    I would disagree, Ike is exactly the type of player the Steelers part with...aging...best playing days behind him. I have never known the Steelers to let a young very talented player walk to sign a guy who is 33 years old. Now the Steelers have been known to re-sign a guy like Ike to a lower old guy cap friendly retire in the Burgh contract.
    Trolls are people too.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Here is what I think we should do...

Say goodybe to the following players....

1) Foote
    2) Hampton
    3) Mendenhall
    4) Wallace
    5) David Johnson
    6) Colon

Restructure Ben's contract, Woodley's and Timmons.

Try to get Harrison to sign a Hampton-like paycut and play 1 more year. He is still one of our best defensive players when healthy but he probably has 1 really good year left in him.

Do what you can to keep Clark and Polamalu for at least 1 more year. Clark probably has a year left. I don't see Polamalu "hanging on" to long when he recognizes his career is about over. I think he and the Steelers know that his playing days are winding down but not over. He will be 32 by the start of next season.

Try to get Ike to take a paycut.

If Harrison won't take a paycut... you cut him.

If Ike won't take a paycut... you cut him.

I would make every effort to sign Foster and Starks to a cap friendly deal. People think Max is old because he's been on this team forever. He JUST turned 31 and he was one of our most consistent offensive player (not just o-lineman). Who knows what Foster is asking for. Legursky is a very valuable backup especially at center... especially with Pouncey's ankle issues.

The Steelers can NOT sacrifice the future of this team by hanging onto players that have 1 or MAYBE 2 years left. That means, you cut Ike if it means signing Lewis.

Rookie

User Info Menu

While Foster and Starks have been consistent and (mostly) durable players, they may not fit the new blocking schemes that Bicknell will install...

If they don't fit, allow them to find a place elsewhere...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    While Foster and Starks have been consistent and (mostly) durable players, they may not fit the new blocking schemes that Bicknell will install...

If they don't fit, allow them to find a place elsewhere...
    Even though I might not agree with it... I could see the Steelers signing Foster for relatively cheap compared to Starks. The primary reason is the position... Foster has been backup that has played decent because of injuries. Starks on the other hand is a starter in this league and he plays the most expensive position on the o-line: LT

For financial reasons, they might sign Foster to a cap-friendly deal and let Starks walk. They invested high picks in both Gilbert and Adams. The Steelers obviously planned them to be starters and that could spell the end for Starks in Pittsburgh. Depth is a whole seperate issue. You don't draft a 2nd rounder (i.e. Gilberts/Adams) for depth. You also don't keep Starks for depth (to expensive and he's starter material).

I'm really hoping they draft a 1st or 2nd round ILB with intentions of him starting from day 1 to replace Foote. It's obvious replacing Foote was the Steelers plan last year when they all but said Hightower was going to be the pick but they couldn't pass on DD.

I could see ILB, S and WR as being the selection in the first three rounds (no particular order). I would like to see us replace Mike Wallace with DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson. I would also like to see us draft Kevin Minter to replace Larry Foote.

As far as safety goes... I like the kid from South Carolina.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Here is what I think we should do...

Say goodybe to the following players....

1) Foote
    2) Hampton
    3) Mendenhall
    4) Wallace
    5) David Johnson
    6) Colon

Restructure Ben's contract, Woodley's and Timmons.

Try to get Harrison to sign a Hampton-like paycut and play 1 more year. He is still one of our best defensive players when healthy but he probably has 1 really good year left in him.

Do what you can to keep Clark and Polamalu for at least 1 more year. Clark probably has a year left. I don't see Polamalu "hanging on" to long when he recognizes his career is about over. I think he and the Steelers know that his playing days are winding down but not over. He will be 32 by the start of next season.

Try to get Ike to take a paycut.

If Harrison won't take a paycut... you cut him.

If Ike won't take a paycut... you cut him.

I would make every effort to sign Foster and Starks to a cap friendly deal. People think Max is old because he's been on this team forever. He JUST turned 31 and he was one of our most consistent offensive player (not just o-lineman). Who knows what Foster is asking for. Legursky is a very valuable backup especially at center... especially with Pouncey's ankle issues.

The Steelers can NOT sacrifice the future of this team by hanging onto players that have 1 or MAYBE 2 years left. That means, you cut Ike if it means signing Lewis.
    Sounds logical to me, I hope Harrison will stick around 1 more year. He came on at the end and should be in great shape for the 2013 season.
    The issue is will he take a pay cut?
    I figure 3 mill is better than no mill!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I would disagree, Ike is exactly the type of player the Steelers part with...aging...best playing days behind him. I have never known the Steelers to let a young very talented player walk to sign a guy who is 33 years old. Now the Steelers have been known to re-sign a guy like Ike to a lower old guy cap friendly retire in the Burgh contract.
    Yup yup. If we pay Lewis and a Allen, sure, there is a chance that they regress and aren't worth what we are paying them a couple of years from now (but from what I've seen so far, it's a reasonable risk to assume that both are ascending talents in this league). Ike on the other hand, is 100% guaranteed to regress and not be worth what we are paying him a couple of years from now. Ike's been remarkably reliable for us over the years, but it's not a great time for him to suffer a hairline leg fracture when he is a soon-to-be-33 year old playing a position that requires top speed.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Too many replies to single out anything individual!!

Here's a question- after cutting a number of Vet leaders last season, and then watching some undisciplined, sloppy play from the youngsters translate into an 8-8 season- can the Steelers really afford to cut Vet's like Harrison & Taylor without suffering another hit in leadership?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Colon needs to be cut even if it saves just 1.5. Enough is enough already with that guy. Cut your loses and move on. If nothing else, it opens up a roster spot for a future player such as a draft pick and/or UDFA..
    Can understand that statement- but cutting Colon requires signing someone to replace him, relying on a draft pick, or relying on Kelvin Beachum. Signing Ramon Foster is the obvious answer- but will cutting Colon save enough against the cap to sign Foster?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

A little caveat to the whole pondering of Steeler woes-

Brett Keisel, when asked about James Harrison, said he thinks James will be back but something needs to be done about the contract. That's different from last season when guys were saying they 'hope' Farrior comes back.

Starting to lean towards Harrison will be returning, at a lower rate. What does that mean for Taylor?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE