Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TE & our crappy WR's

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Our top 3 WR this year are soft. We need a WR in the draft for sure.
    It's interesting. After the Eagles/Steelers game, I had the pleasure of listening to some sports talk radio from both sides of the state. In Philly, they were talking about how the Steelers receivers were tougher than the Eagles group and how the Steelers overall have better WRs.

Just thought the outside perspective was interesting.

I'd like to see a big, physical WR. Somebody who could can downfield or over the middle.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It's interesting. After the Eagles/Steelers game, I had the pleasure of listening to some sports talk radio from both sides of the state. In Philly, they were talking about how the Steelers receivers were tougher than the Eagles group and how the Steelers overall have better WRs.

Just thought the outside perspective was interesting.

I'd like to see a big, physical WR. Somebody who could can downfield or over the middle.
    we have 3 small non physical WR's bottom line and don't run the run and shoot offense. It doesn't work. We need some mismatch or a dominant running game to demand the opponents respect.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

We have good WR's... They look better when they get to utilize their speed instead of running 5 yards routes underneath.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    We have good WR's... They look better when they get to utilize their speed instead of running 5 yards routes underneath.
    I would concur. Sometimes the scheme doesen't fit the players, they should of kept Hines for this type of offense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's what I meant by soft and not a fit. These WR don't fit this system or QB. We need a better OL,RB, and a big WR like a Maurice Stovall or Michael Floyd or second pass catching TE to go with Heath. I mention those two big bodied WR that are second tier to Vince Jackson because I wouldn't drop a first on a WR this year but I think. A second tier BIG WR could excel in this offense with Ben.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 01-07-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    He lacks the physicality and mental toughness to take on a defender with the ball in the air. He truly is a one trick pony.

Eventually he will beat the coverage deep and at a minimum come close to catching the HR ball, if not catching one. That basically makes him almost worthless once the field shortens near the red zone as there isn't enough field to make his one positive attribute, beating a defender in a long foot race, a non factor.
    I hear this often from people but I don't think the facts back them up. Go back over the stats for the last 3 years and see who has caught the most TDs for us of 10 yards and less. I think you might be surprised to find that it is Wallace.

While I agree that Wallace didn't bring his usual effort this year and dropped more balls than usual that doesn't mean he is a bad receiver. He certainly brings more to the table than a deep threat. I don't know why people have to disparage his skills just because he isn't a Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson. If he shows us the same effort going forward as he did his first 3 years I would love to have him on the team.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!