Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To me, I don't think there is a whole lot wrong with Landry Jones.

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone think we would look at drafting Zac Dysert out of Miami, Ohio? I agree we need to draft a legitimate back-up QB this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    Anyone think we would look at drafting Zac Dysert out of Miami, Ohio? I agree we need to draft a legitimate back-up QB this year.
    I really like Dysert, but I think the problem is that we would have to draft him much earlier than the Steelers will be looking for a QB just like Landry. The Steelers will be looking for a back up not a future starter so they likely won't be looking through the first 5 rounds.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Great size, strong, accurate arm. Can make all the throws. Hardly ever gets sacked. He's been a 63-65% passer the past three years. I know his stock has dropped quite a bit but if he was there in the second and differently in the 3rd, a team would be crazy to pass on him. Who knows what he becomes at the next level. And the risk for a team who already has an established QB wouldn't be all that much (especially if drafted in the 3rd round), but the reward could be huge. See Tom Brady.

And let me add, 122 TD's to only 51 INT's over his career. And that career includes being a 4 year starter.
    #1 Plays in a conference with very little defense played.

#2 He has zero pocket presence. When he even feels a little bit of a rush, he can't handle it and makes very poor decisions. Last night's game was a perfect example of this.

He will be a 3rd round pick because of his size and arm, but he strikes me as a Colt McCoy like prospect with size. i do think he could develop in the right situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post

#2 He has zero pocket presence. When he even feels a little bit of a rush, he can't handle it and makes very poor decisions. Last night's game was a perfect example of this.

He will be a 3rd round pick because of his size and arm, but he strikes me as a Colt McCoy like prospect with size. i do think he could develop in the right situation.
    I wouldn't mind the Browns cutting McCoy and we grab him as a back up.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I really like Dysert, but I think the problem is that we would have to draft him much earlier than the Steelers will be looking for a QB just like Landry. The Steelers will be looking for a back up not a future starter so they likely won't be looking through the first 5 rounds.
    Dysert,Landry Jones, and Ryan Nassib will all be drafted in rounds 2-4. We may take a QB in round 4 and would not mind if it was Nassib.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Lighten up Frances. We are talking about drafting a back up QB who "may" develop into something better down the road. If you want to go by his performance last night or even this year then you are totally not seeing the big picture. His team around him is not very good on both sides of the ball. But again of course he is going to have some flaws. That's the whole idea about a back up 3rd round QB.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Lighten up Frances. We are talking about drafting a back up QB who "may" develop into something better down the road. If you want to go by his performance last night or even this year then you are totally not seeing the big picture. His team around him is not very good on both sides of the ball. But again of course he is going to have some flaws. That's the whole idea about a back up 3rd round QB.
    I think you missed the part where I said he could develop in the right place and would therefore be a good back-up. There's a reason his stock has dropped the last two seasons. No pocket presence.

That usually doesn't develop except in rare situations. He's got SOME talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think you missed the part where I said he could develop in the right place and would therefore be a good back-up. There's a reason his stock has dropped the last two seasons. No pocket presence.

That usually doesn't develop except in rare situations. He's got SOME talent.
    There are some obvious holes in his game. probably why he fell to where he did... he is an anti-Ben in his style of play .... "Jones makes quick, short throws to keep the chains moving, and doesn't do well when he has to go deep into his progressions in the pocket."

Strengths

Jones is very good at crisply and effectively executing plays within an offensive system. His play-fakes are sharp, and he sets up to deliver the ball quickly with the defense still off balance. Jones exhibits the arm strength to out-throw a deep safety's range, and his throws downfield over the middle have good velocity.

With good height, size and athleticism, Jones is an above-average physical [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/nfl"]NFL[/URL] quarterback prospect, and he can use that athleticism to keep plays alive and create a lot of space to operate on rollouts. At times, his patience and field vision create big plays when Jones has to improvise. You'll see two or three difficult throws a game that Jones places perfectly on target, and he can throw with both velocity and distance on the run.

Weaknesses
    Jones doesn't play with much edge, conviction or urgency. Without a clean pocket, many of his passes lack the zip and accuracy to create good run-after-catch opportunities. He operated in an offense that mostly asked him make quick, short throws, and his inconsistent pocket presence indicates that might be his best use in the pros.
    Sometimes Jones seems to surrender under pressure instead of attempting to elude the rusher or throw the ball away. Occasionally, Jones will make terrible decisions under marginal pressure that are at a high risk of turning into interceptions.
    Mobility
    Every now and then, Jones is a perfect QB after the play breaks down
    This is a great area of Jones' game, and if he is successful pro quarterback, mobility will be a big reason why. He is smooth on his rollouts, and Jones also moves instinctively outside of the pocket. He is quick and sudden enough to make a rusher miss when he spots him and keeps his head.

How Does He Attack Defenses?
    Jones' ability to defeat defenses is about play-calling and execution more than his ability to test the defense. Jones makes quick, short throws to keep the chains moving, and doesn't do well when he has to go deep into his progressions in the pocket. He can make things happen when the play breaks down, but he is generally not an aggressive-minded quarterback.

Scheme Versatility/Future Role
    Jones looks like a backup quarterback in a Mike/Kyle Shanahan-style offense with a lot of rollouts (old-school Shanahan), and the pistol formation (new-school Shanahan). He could be a semi-successful starter if he plays with more nerve, but will not flourish if he is asked to hang in the pocket and otherwise "solve" a defense on his own.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    There are some obvious holes in his game. probably why he fell to where he did... he is an anti-Ben in his style of play .... "Jones makes quick, short throws to keep the chains moving, and doesn't do well when he has to go deep into his progressions in the pocket."
    Strengths
    Jones is very good at crisply and effectively executing plays within an offensive system. His play-fakes are sharp, and he sets up to deliver the ball quickly with the defense still off balance. Jones exhibits the arm strength to out-throw a deep safety's range, and his throws downfield over the middle have good velocity.

With good height, size and athleticism, Jones is an above-average physical [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/nfl"]NFL[/URL] quarterback prospect, and he can use that athleticism to keep plays alive and create a lot of space to operate on rollouts. At times, his patience and field vision create big plays when Jones has to improvise. You'll see two or three difficult throws a game that Jones places perfectly on target, and he can throw with both velocity and distance on the run.

Weaknesses
    Jones doesn't play with much edge, conviction or urgency. Without a clean pocket, many of his passes lack the zip and accuracy to create good run-after-catch opportunities. He operated in an offense that mostly asked him make quick, short throws, and his inconsistent pocket presence indicates that might be his best use in the pros.
    Sometimes Jones seems to surrender under pressure instead of attempting to elude the rusher or throw the ball away. Occasionally, Jones will make terrible decisions under marginal pressure that are at a high risk of turning into interceptions.
    Mobility
    Every now and then, Jones is a perfect QB after the play breaks down
    This is a great area of Jones' game, and if he is successful pro quarterback, mobility will be a big reason why. He is smooth on his rollouts, and Jones also moves instinctively outside of the pocket. He is quick and sudden enough to make a rusher miss when he spots him and keeps his head.

How Does He Attack Defenses?
    Jones' ability to defeat defenses is about play-calling and execution more than his ability to test the defense. Jones makes quick, short throws to keep the chains moving, and doesn't do well when he has to go deep into his progressions in the pocket. He can make things happen when the play breaks down, but he is generally not an aggressive-minded quarterback.

Scheme Versatility/Future Role
    Jones looks like a backup quarterback in a Mike/Kyle Shanahan-style offense with a lot of rollouts (old-school Shanahan), and the pistol formation (new-school Shanahan). He could be a semi-successful starter if he plays with more nerve,but
    will not flourish if he is asked to hang in the pocket and otherwise "solve" a defense on his own.

Hmm, what could possibly go wrong if this guy lines up behind our OL?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post

Hmm, what could possibly go wrong if this guy lines up behind our OL?
    He could get rid of the ball quick instead of holding it loking for the low percentage big play downfield.

What is identified as a weakness actually is helped by Haley's system. Plus it is not like we are counting on Jones to start this year or next. He has time to get schooled and get better. I think this will prove to be a good pick.