Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Let's take a look at 3-4 OLB's on the roster

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Not sure what Worilds has done wrong to be completely written off as a failure at this point. He looks just about on track to be peaking as James Harrison leaves the building.
    Is Worilds a FA this year? I'd like to see the Steelers keep him on, albeit at a reasonable price. He seems to be getting better. I think that at this point, he's better than Woodley.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Saying that Woodley is a 'fail' because he didn't play at his usual standard this season is like calling Hampton a 'fail' because he wasn't dominant this season. Woodley is fine. Injury is his biggest concern- always has been. Same with Troy, but you don't hear people clamoring to get rid of Troy.
    Woodley was a "fail" this season. He came in out of shape (inexcusable for a professional football player), and as a result, he couldn't get healthy the whole season. How helpful can he be if he's always at half-strength? Too much money tied up in a player who, unless he drastically changes his ways, will likely have more of the same problems with injuries as he gets older. As for Troy? He doesn't come in out of shape, and he's been fantastic in the past, but I have to wonder if he's reached the point of diminishing returns. The kind of athlete he is, and the way he plays, he's apt to have more of the same kinds of problems with injuries as he ages. I actually thought the secondary played pretty well when Allen took his place. And Allen's salary is a lot lower than Troy's. I'll add James Harrison to the conversation. I think he could still contribute to this team, and he's still the best OLB on the roster, but for the salary he's making, and at his age, you have to wonder if we can afford to keep him. I'd like to see him stay, but unless he takes a drastic pay cut, I would think the Steelers would need to give him his walking papers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Steelers have used a few 'measurables' at the combine to pinpoint their LB options over the last few years, so until we see how they measure up, it's too hard to even guess at who they would look at. That said, Ohio St's John Simon looks interesting as a 2nd round type prospect, or if they look later in the draft Nebraska's Eric Martin looks to have just the right amount of nasty in him. Could even add Florida's Lerentee McCray as a mid round option.
    It would be fine to try to find a good LB later in the draft, but if we're going to continue to run the defense we do, where the LB's are the focal point, seems to me we're going to have to spend a first or second round pick on one before long.

  2. #22
    Let me tell you something, drafting a guy like Zach Boren in the 4th as your thumper ILB is a great value. The guy was a fullback. After an injury this season, he begged the coaches to try him out. He was an insta-starter for the Buckeyes...and my favorite linebacker to watch play. He only has room to grow, and is just a beast. I believe with only a season of grooming he would start for the Steelers.

  3. #23
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Let me tell you something, drafting a guy like Zach Boren in the 4th as your thumper ILB is a great value. The guy was a fullback. After an injury this season, he begged the coaches to try him out. He was an insta-starter for the Buckeyes...and my favorite linebacker to watch play. He only has room to grow, and is just a beast. I believe with only a season of grooming he would start for the Steelers.

    I'm think Jon Bostic from Florida would look great next to Timmons. Guy can fly around the field.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #24
    Backup Chucktownsteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    323
    I think we need to seriously look at LB in the first round, but it will always come to BPA. I think Hightower was the pick last season until David DeCastro fell in our laps.

    No one, including the Steelers thought DeCastro would be there.

  5. #25
    John Simon is a relentless, high motor player...props to Chadman for recognizing...

    Simon has also played a stand-up role in pass rushing...he wasn't asked to drop much at all, but I bet he would be as effective as a LaMarr Woodley in the short area...

    Zach Boren has LB instincts as good as any I've seen...to be so effective after playing FB for years is amazing...
    Last edited by Slapstick; 01-05-2013 at 01:27 PM.

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Not sure what Worilds has done wrong to be completely written off as a failure at this point. He looks just about on track to be peaking as James Harrison leaves the building.

    Saying that Woodley is a 'fail' because he didn't play at his usual standard this season is like calling Hampton a 'fail' because he wasn't dominant this season. Woodley is fine. Injury is his biggest concern- always has been. Same with Troy, but you don't hear people clamoring to get rid of Troy.
    How can you say Woodley isn't a FAIL? Here are his average numbers over the last five years B.C. (Before Contract), and A.D. (After Deal :P)

    Games played
    BC: 15.33
    AD: 11.5

    Sacks
    BC: 11.67
    AD: 6.5

    Forced Fumbles
    BC: 2
    AD: 0.5

    If you look at this production, and take into account his physical condition, he looks like your classic Shaun Alexander, take-the-money-and-run type player.

  7. #27
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    How can you say Woodley isn't a FAIL? Here are his average numbers over the last five years B.C. (Before Contract), and A.D. (After Deal :P)

    Games played
    BC: 15.33
    AD: 11.5

    Sacks
    BC: 11.67
    AD: 6.5

    Forced Fumbles
    BC: 2
    AD: 0.5

    If you look at this production, and take into account his physical condition, he looks like your classic Shaun Alexander, take-the-money-and-run type player.
    It looks like a natural 4-3 DE who is being required to play as a 3-4 OLB and his body isn't holding up to the constant running covering receivers. Therefore we see the numerous and repeated leg injuries.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  8. #28
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It looks like a natural 4-3 DE who is being required to play as a 3-4 OLB and his body isn't holding up to the constant running covering receivers. Therefore we see the numerous and repeated leg injuries.
    That is a ridiculous notion. First of all, if he was doing his job as a rusher, they wouldn't make him drop into coverage as much as he does. Did you ever see Kevin Greene drop into coverage? No, because a) he wasn't good at it, and b) he was getting to the quarterback anyway. I'm not saying that I don't agree that he should be a DL--I do. But he's not getting to the QB. That's why they're dropping him more.

    Second, the main part of his body failing him is his hamstrings. I've pulled my hamstring once in my life. It happened at a time when I was out-of-shape and overweight. Never did it happen when I was in-shape (not overweight). A fat guy is way more likely to pull a hammy. If he doesn't want to pull a hammy, lose weight (i.e. fat).

  9. #29
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    John Simon is a relentless, high motor player...props to Chadman for recognizing...

    Simon has also played a stand-up role in pass rushing...he wasn't asked to drop much at all, but I bet he would be as effective as a LaMarr Woodley in the short area...

    Zach Boren has LB instincts as good as any I've seen...to be so effective after playing FB for years is amazing...
    Simon has alligator arms, no thank you. He's going to struggle in the pros. I am interested to see him in the Senior Bowl.

    Strike me interested in Boren late in the draft or as an UDFA.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Not sure what Worilds has done wrong to be completely written off as a failure at this point. He looks just about on track to be peaking as James Harrison leaves the building.

    Saying that Woodley is a 'fail' because he didn't play at his usual standard this season is like calling Hampton a 'fail' because he wasn't dominant this season. Woodley is fine. Injury is his biggest concern- always has been. Same with Troy, but you don't hear people clamoring to get rid of Troy.

    Steelers have used a few 'measurables' at the combine to pinpoint their LB options over the last few years, so until we see how they measure up, it's too hard to even guess at who they would look at. That said, Ohio St's John Simon looks interesting as a 2nd round type prospect, or if they look later in the draft Nebraska's Eric Martin looks to have just the right amount of nasty in him. Could even add Florida's Lerentee McCray as a mid round option.


    I think both of these would fit into LeBeau's 3-4. Martin is a Harrison clone, 6'-0" & 250, & McCray plays pretty well in space.


    Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •