Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your outlook and projections for the Steelers in 2013?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What is your outlook and projections for the Steelers in 2013?

Please try and be honest in your thoughts so we can get a feel on what our new season will look like, and if the Steelers can rebound from the 2012 disappointing season.

Supers Take:

I wonder if the window is closing on our steelers, or if we add some players to the roster that can make the difference in the up coming season. The feedback form posts on Steelers planet says the Steelers have their work cut out in order to have a successful 2013. and the main issues must be resolved so they can achieve their goal.
    I'll take a crack at what those main issues are, and look forward to your opinions on this matter as we move forward.

Main issues and objectives:

1. First and formost the Steelers need to stay healthy especially on the offensive line in order to maximize continuity with the same 5 starters. We all know injuries will happen, but if they limit them, the team as a whole should see improvement.

2. QB Play. Lets face it, we only can go as far as Ben Takes us, we need the Ben of the first half of 2012. For whatever reason he wasn't the Ben we could count on in the last quarter of this season and it impacted our playoff hopes.

3. Pressure and pass rush from our front seven, too often we didn't have that in the course of this season and it left our secondary on an Island. Our secondary wasn't playing well in the beginning of the season, but Keenan Lewis, Cortez made big improvements even with the absense of Troy for the majority of the season. We need a dominate NT that can take on blockers to free our ends up, that combination alone will make our LB's better, and if they are healthy and in shape ( Woodley) it would make a big difference.

4. Special teams. This unit has to get better not only in coverage, but discipline by not committing penalty's that kill good field position and returns for TD"S. Our Punter isn't up to snuff as well as our Special teams coach, we'll need changes there or at least change what they are doing that hurts the unit.

Obviously, there are more but these IMHO are valid and need addressed. We have to count on health of the team, getting the right pieces in the draft, and fix the areas' above I mentioned. This no easy task.
    I feel we have a core of really good players to get to the next level, but we still have to find a few impact players in the draft and our coaching staff outside of LeBeau has to improve their decisions on the field.

Overall:
    As Steelers fans, our expectations are high. Anything less than a playoff appearance is an incomplete season, the team goal is the SB as it should be. However, the reality is our Steelers can't meet their expectations or ours unless they fix the issues at hand.
    I'm confident we'll be better in 2013 but will better be enough? I don't really know, other teams are getting better too so we have to take it up a notch or two to stay ahead of the game.
    When we hit rock bottom we'll know it, we ain't there yet and don't want to be there. Playing 500 ball won't do it folks for them or us, but great teams can't last forever we have to see that reality. Lets hope thay have another one in them in the near future, getting #7 would be sweet and keep us King of the NFL!

Legend

User Info Menu

You items #1 and #3 are the keys and may be mutually exclusive in the short term. If we really commit to fixing the OL that will likely require us to use our #1 pick for another OL. That would then mean we aren't getting one of the top NTs or pass rushing OLBs.

Alot of what we fix depends on who stays and who goes. If Harrison goes then a OLB is top priority. If they can't resign Starks then an OL is a top priority. If they lose both we will probably be about 8-8 again next season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You items #1 and #3 are the keys and may be mutually exclusive in the short term. If we really commit to fixing the OL that will likely require us to use our #1 pick for another OL. That would then mean we aren't getting one of the top NTs or pass rushing OLBs.

Alot of what we fix depends on who stays and who goes. If Harrison goes then a OLB is top priority. If they can't resign Starks then an OL is a top priority. If they lose both we will probably be about 8-8 again next season.
    I think 1 and 3 are the key to this whole thing. And we should absolutely fix #3 thru the draft. At the end of the day, we know the formula is QB + D = Lombardis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think 1 and 3 are the key to this whole thing. And we should absolutely fix #3 thru the draft. At the end of the day, we know the formula is QB + D = Lombardis.
    But you won't have the QB if you don't improve the OL. We saw what happened after Ben got drill into the turf and missed 3 games. He was never the same coming back therefore fixing #1 is the priority!

Legend

User Info Menu

But you won't have the QB if you don't improve the OL. We saw what happened after Ben got drill into the turf and missed 3 games. He was never the same coming back therefore fixing #1 is the priority!
    I say that's on Ben. The better the OLine, the longer he'll hold the ball. I think we need a clever coach for Ben. Someone that will let him think he's getting his way but will subtly encourage him to make better presnap reads/decisions and get rid of the ball faster.

And to this end, I think Ben has actually been lobbying for what he really needs since Plax left originally - a big WR. That gives him more room for error. Do you think he still holds the ball forever if we get him a Megatron or Fitz?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I say that's on Ben. The better the OLine, the longer he'll hold the ball. I think we need a clever coach for Ben. Someone that will let him think he's getting his way but will subtly encourage him to make better presnap reads/decisions and get rid of the ball faster.

And to this end, I think Ben has actually been lobbying for what he really needs since Plax left originally - a big WR. That gives him more room for error. Do you think he still holds the ball forever if we get him a Megatron or Fitz?
    agreed flip.

bens injury this year was on ben and not the OL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can't believe this is happening, but I'm about to agree with Oviedo for my third straight post of the morning. Crazy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I can't believe this is happening, but I'm about to agree with Oviedo for my third straight post of the morning. Crazy.
    Obviously, you have gotten smarter in 2013

Legend

User Info Menu

Obviously, you have gotten smarter in 2013
    He DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night .

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hey guys and gals,

Good feedback by all of us here, I believe most of us feel the Steelers are a better team than their record of 8-8, but some might disagree, thats ok. Remember, no matter what your opinions are or mine, we want the same thing as we offer our thoughts looking ahead.
    For me, if we had 5 starting O-linemen most of the year, a safety(Troy) LB (Harrison( QB Ben we could of overcome the other issues.

I really don't see a dominate team in the AFC, sure Denver is consistent and N.E. has a great offense but I don't see any team that we couldn't of beat when all our troops are healthy. From my prospective and maybe yours, our offense needs the most work to get back to being a championship team. We can't be New England, we have the most success when we balance the pass with the run. Beside our shuffling of the line most of the year we simply couldn't run the ball consistently and thats on tape. Fix the run game in combination with the best 5 linemen we can start it should make a difference. WR's dropping the ball can be fixed, our receivers were very good before this year so we know they can perform at a higher level.
    The reality is, we probably can't solve all the issues because of the finacial status. We would love to keep most of our productive players, add a FA if possible and get some help in the draft, thats a tall order in our unfriendly cap situation. As someone mentioned here, it was like two sides of a coin describing our 2012 season, one where the O was working but the D- struggled, then the opposite down the stretch.

Considering what transpired in 2012, I believe the entire organization is going to work that much harder from the top down to achieve a playoff contending team. Our team ownership provides stability, as we move torwards the 2013 season we can count on that, it will be up to the players to go the extra mile in training, preparing, and conditioning...hear that Lamar?

Next year at this time, I want to be screaming like a madman.... in a good way, cheering our Steelers on!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO