Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your outlook and projections for the Steelers in 2013?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think 1 and 3 are the key to this whole thing. And we should absolutely fix #3 thru the draft. At the end of the day, we know the formula is QB + D = Lombardis.
    But you won't have the QB if you don't improve the OL. We saw what happened after Ben got drill into the turf and missed 3 games. He was never the same coming back therefore fixing #1 is the priority!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    As I mentioned regardless of health because players are going to get injured during a football season I was putting my take on the year. I realize the reality of the cap and salaries of these guys will be an issue, that's for Colbert, Khan and the players to work out. I went at this based on what I saw over the course of the year and the last 4 games with very healthy 43 and 92 the defense was getting a lot of pressure and turnovers. Which to means if contracts can be worked out bringing back James and Troy should be done they still have good football in them, IMO.

Woodley is interesting because he doesn't really say a whole lot, so I'm guessing that his injuries or dings were more substantial than he let on. I'm looking for him to get back to the business of rushing the passer next year at a high level.

This is just my take, two halves to the season, the first half the defense was bad and the offense good enough to be 6-2 or 5-3, the second half, the defense was good and the offense was bad, good enough to go 2-6 or 3-5 for a final of 8-8 and out of the playoffs. And, still had the special teams shown up in either half of the season I think the Steelers would be playing a football game this weekend. They were awful in almost every game this year with the exception of Suisham.

Pappy
    Pappy,

You may have hit on a spark of genius in the two quotes below that captures the essence of the current NFL and provides a guide to success.

the first half the defense was bad and the offense good enough to be 6-2 or 5-3
    the second half, the defense was good and the offense was bad, good enough to go 2-6 or 3-5
    Pretty clear that the offense being its best gets us more wins than the defense being its best! Make the offense better and we will roll to #7.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's way too early to even guess at this point. We don't even know if Haley is staying - although I read local Pgh radio is saying he is. We don't know which free agents are coming or going. We don't know if Starks, Harrison, Lewis, Woodley, Wallace, Mendenhall will be back. It's just a total crap shoot. But I will say this: Typically, when this team comes off a disappointing year, they come back stronger than the media thinks. Chances are, without any other knowledge or insight at this point, they will come back to win the division next year. Right now, that is the only info. we can use in trying to determine what is in store for 2013. That being said, if they don't fix the obvious chemistry and coaching problems, they could do even worse than 2012. They MUST address whatever it is that is wrong with this team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But you won't have the QB if you don't improve the OL. We saw what happened after Ben got drill into the turf and missed 3 games. He was never the same coming back therefore fixing #1 is the priority!
    I say that's on Ben. The better the OLine, the longer he'll hold the ball. I think we need a clever coach for Ben. Someone that will let him think he's getting his way but will subtly encourage him to make better presnap reads/decisions and get rid of the ball faster.

And to this end, I think Ben has actually been lobbying for what he really needs since Plax left originally - a big WR. That gives him more room for error. Do you think he still holds the ball forever if we get him a Megatron or Fitz?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I bring you all tidings of great joy!! Rejoice!

For I am pessimistic about next season.

And the opposite of what I feel usually happens.

So Rejoice Ye Steelers fans!
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I say that's on Ben. The better the OLine, the longer he'll hold the ball. I think we need a clever coach for Ben. Someone that will let him think he's getting his way but will subtly encourage him to make better presnap reads/decisions and get rid of the ball faster.

And to this end, I think Ben has actually been lobbying for what he really needs since Plax left originally - a big WR. That gives him more room for error. Do you think he still holds the ball forever if we get him a Megatron or Fitz?
    agreed flip.

bens injury this year was on ben and not the OL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    agreed flip.

bens injury this year was on ben and not the OL.
    maybe it's on God for taking Adam's rib out and giving it to Eve. If we had different ribs, maybe Ben doesn't have one pressing on his aorta afterall

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    I honestly think we are 1 good off season away from contending. If everyone gets healthy, we keep the guys that we need to and we have a good draft I think we will be ok.
    I agree. It's good that both Troy and James are going into the offseason healthy and not banged up. I also think that many teams will sleep on the Steelers a bit and this team seems to play better with a chip on it's shoulder for some reason.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Obviously, you have gotten smarter in 2013
    He DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night .

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

What do you think the chances are the Steelers think they have the O line set with Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey, Colon, Adams? That's a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks, it should be good (injuries notwithstanding). Like to see Starks back but even Max has publicly said he thinks he's played his last game as a Steeler.

I think the Miller injury can not be overstated. Maybe he's a fast healer, and certainly no on questions his heart or work ethic but I think it's something they have to preare for - him not being ready to go at the start and not getting back to true form until after half way through the season. There's NO ONE to take his place. No one currently on the team can even carry his shoulder pads.

The QB pressure is the biggest concern for me. Guys were throwing down blankets, eating chips and a sandwich, with a nice Cabernet, before they had to throw the ball.