Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your outlook and projections for the Steelers in 2013?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    What do you think the chances are the Steelers think they have the O line set with Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey, Colon, Adams? That's a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks, it should be good (injuries notwithstanding). Like to see Starks back but even Max has publicly said he thinks he's played his last game as a Steeler.

I think the Miller injury can not be overstated. Maybe he's a fast healer, and certainly no on questions his heart or work ethic but I think it's something they have to preare for - him not being ready to go at the start and not getting back to true form until after half way through the season. There's NO ONE to take his place. No one currently on the team can even carry his shoulder pads.

The QB pressure is the biggest concern for me. Guys were throwing down blankets, eating chips and a sandwich, with a nice Cabernet, before they had to throw the ball.
    Not the last 5 games of the season. The pressure on the quarterback was coming the sacks may not have been there, but the pressures forcing errant throws were there. The defense was dominating games at the end of the year and getting timely stops.

I'd have no problem drafting #92s replacement, because I don't believe that player is on the roster, maybe Worilds, maybe not.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hey guys and gals,

Good feedback by all of us here, I believe most of us feel the Steelers are a better team than their record of 8-8, but some might disagree, thats ok. Remember, no matter what your opinions are or mine, we want the same thing as we offer our thoughts looking ahead.
    For me, if we had 5 starting O-linemen most of the year, a safety(Troy) LB (Harrison( QB Ben we could of overcome the other issues.

I really don't see a dominate team in the AFC, sure Denver is consistent and N.E. has a great offense but I don't see any team that we couldn't of beat when all our troops are healthy. From my prospective and maybe yours, our offense needs the most work to get back to being a championship team. We can't be New England, we have the most success when we balance the pass with the run. Beside our shuffling of the line most of the year we simply couldn't run the ball consistently and thats on tape. Fix the run game in combination with the best 5 linemen we can start it should make a difference. WR's dropping the ball can be fixed, our receivers were very good before this year so we know they can perform at a higher level.
    The reality is, we probably can't solve all the issues because of the finacial status. We would love to keep most of our productive players, add a FA if possible and get some help in the draft, thats a tall order in our unfriendly cap situation. As someone mentioned here, it was like two sides of a coin describing our 2012 season, one where the O was working but the D- struggled, then the opposite down the stretch.

Considering what transpired in 2012, I believe the entire organization is going to work that much harder from the top down to achieve a playoff contending team. Our team ownership provides stability, as we move torwards the 2013 season we can count on that, it will be up to the players to go the extra mile in training, preparing, and conditioning...hear that Lamar?

Next year at this time, I want to be screaming like a madman.... in a good way, cheering our Steelers on!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Not the last 5 games of the season. The pressure on the quarterback was coming the sacks may not have been there, but the pressures forcing errant throws were there. The defense was dominating games at the end of the year and getting timely stops.

I'd have no problem drafting #92s replacement, because I don't believe that player is on the roster, maybe Worilds, maybe not.

Pappy

There was a lot less pressure than you remember. Rivers wasn't pressured. Dalton wasn't pressured. Was Romo really pressured? Nothing like what we could do three years ago. The pass rush is a shell of its former self and has been for two seasons running now with 35 sacks last season and 37 this season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    I honestly think we are 1 good off season away from contending. If everyone gets healthy, we keep the guys that we need to and we have a good draft I think we will be ok.
    Agreed. The Steelers lost 5 games by 3 points or less. A little luck (staying healthy), and a good addition or two and this team is competing for championship again.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    I honestly think we are 1 good off season away from contending. If everyone gets healthy, we keep the guys that we need to and we have a good draft I think we will be ok.
    By the way, I like your draft in your signature. It would take some balls to draft Minter 17th overall, but I believe years down the line no one would question it. He is a really solid 3 down LB. He hardly ever came off the field at LSU and he out performed most of his more hyped teammates when they had big games. Swearinger is a little bit of a reach at 2 but I get it. Now what really impress me is the pick of Kruger. He is a true 5 technique 3-4 D-lineman. I think his better days are ahead of him. Chase Thomas is another solid football player. Already has played in a 3-4.

1 – Kevin Minter – ILB – LSU --- 6-2/245
    2 – D.J. Swearinger – FS – South Carolina --- 6-0/210
    3 – Chase Thomas – OLB – Stanford --- 6-4/245
    4 – Joe Kruger – DE – Utah --- 6-7/285
    5 – Shamarko Thomas – SS – Syracuse --- 5-10/210
    6 – Jake Stoneburner – TE – Ohio State ---6-5/245
    7 – Duron Carter – WR – FAU --- 6-5/20
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    There was a lot less pressure than you remember. Rivers wasn't pressured. Dalton wasn't pressured. Was Romo really pressured? Nothing like what we could do three years ago. The pass rush is a shell of its former self and has been for two seasons running now with 35 sacks last season and 37 this season.
    Dalton was pressured enough that his offense scored only 6 points...

I don't think the offense needs a great deal of improvement besides health and ball security...

As Pappy said, something must be done with Special Teams...they were the difference in the Titans and Ravens game in Pittsburgh...they didn't help in the San Diego loss...