Thread: Is Be's deep ball in decline?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Is Be's deep ball in decline?

According to the stats in this article it could be, but I don't think its the whole story. When Ben gets a run game and a offensive line that is healthy he'll be fine.
    Now if he has a 2013 season like this one at the end I would be concerned.

[url]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3228681-74/roethlisberger-season-yds#axzz2GxqCwkde[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben has never had a great deep ball.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Ben has never had a great deep ball.
    $$$$$

The only person who doesn't know that Haley's offense is perfect for Ben's strengths is Ben. Ben was never consistent throwing the deep ball and he never will be.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    $$$$$

The only person who doesn't know that Haley's offense is perfect for Ben's strengths is Ben. Ben was never consistent throwing the deep ball and he never will be.
    I agree he has never been that great at it, but those numbers clearly show it is getting worse. I guess injuries to your throwing arm and legs (power generation) will do that to a guy though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    $$$$$

I agree. But he has had more success with it in the past. It's in decline now because of injuries to Ben the past two seasons and with Wallace playing disgruntled this year.

I hate to say it but Flacco's deep ball is much better than Ben's. Give Flacco some time and he lofts beauties right in stride.

Still - Ben has a lot of success with medium-deep throws (20-40 yards). He also has the arm for bombs, which are generally successful because Ben has held onto the ball for so long that someone came wide open deep and can get the ball even if it's not in stride.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I never said BEN "couldn't" throw a deep ball b/c he can (except when injured of course).
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Looking back through the injury reports, since 2010 the Steelers have averaged 6 injuries to offensive linemen which caused them to miss games during the season.

The last season they had a relatively intact line was 2009, which happened to not be a bad year for the offense (12th in the NFL) but was a down year for the defense ('only' ranked 12th in scoring,....the defense since then has been 1st or 2nd in scoring).

Some have asked the question: can the Steelers only have winning seasons with a top ranked defense?.....