Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Teams Changes?

Legend

User Info Menu

Special Teams Changes?

Anyone other than me think we need a new Special teams Coach? Amos Jones didn't cut it this season.

I have no idea why the ST Coach "vanished" right before the start of the season but while keeping Jones may have been the safe bet, it turned out bad.

Thoughts?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree completely. The special teams were awful and Amos Jones was not part of the solution. For example, when Brown lined up too deep to field a punt (I believe against Dallas) and cost the Steelers valuable field position late in the game, the ST coach has to bear at least some responsibility for that. The coverage units seemed to step back a bit this year and the penalties on the return unit killed this team time and again.

Jones did not get the job done and should be replaced. I'd also consider replacing Montgomery as the WR coach, but both are long-time Tomlin guys and unlikely to be replaced.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Make Tomlin ST coach.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

jones should have been fired 30 minutes after the cleveland game.

find a new punter too.

Legend

User Info Menu

ST cost us games in TN and Baltimore. They were penalized mercilessly. Our PK has no leg strength. Our punter is awful. Jones deserves blame for quite a few things. But I also wonder if we have a general lack of talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Amos Jones was the assistant special teams coach under Bob Ligashesky. Our special teams sucked, and Ligashesky was canned, but Jones was retained. We hired Al Everest as our new special teams coach, with Amos Jones as his assistant ST coach. Our special teams still sucked, and Everest was canned, but once again Jones was retained (and actually promoted from assistant ST coach to ST coach). And guess what? Special teams suck yet again. I wonder what is the common demonomenator throughout all of this sucky ST play? Amos Jones. Buh-bye.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I can't believe no one has ever gotten to the bottom of why he was fired so abruptly. All Everast said was "it was professional differences, let's just leave it at that." Tomlin said even less. Today, when everything gets out, this has remained hidden. Odd. Even if you have to go to the college ranks, they have to get Jones out of there. He's been putrid.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    find a new punter too.
    Butler was 26th in average and 25th in net, and those numbers were inflated by his 79 yard punt. Tied for 18th in punts downed in the 20, 10th for fair catches and tied for 16th with 6 touchbacks. Tied for 21st in average per return.

I kind of thought that Butler was just an average punter, but after looking at the numbers, he is easily in the bottom third of punters. That said, there is not a huge difference between the bottom third and the middle of the pack. There are a few really good punters and the rest don't make a huge difference.

It really is a shame that the 49ers matched the Steelers offer to Andy Lee when he was an RFA. That guy has become a weapon.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Butler was 26th in average and 25th in net, and those numbers were inflated by his 79 yard punt. Tied for 18th in punts downed in the 20, 10th for fair catches and tied for 16th with 6 touchbacks. Tied for 21st in average per return.

I kind of thought that Butler was just an average punter, but after looking at the numbers, he is easily in the bottom third of punters. That said, there is not a huge difference between the bottom third and the middle of the pack. There are a few really good punters and the rest don't make a huge difference.

It really is a shame that the 49ers matched the Steelers offer to Andy Lee when he was an RFA. That guy has become a weapon.
    yep, also forced us to burn a 4th on spulveda.

the steelers can do better than butler.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's all on tape, and the tape doesn't lie, our special teams were bad and Butler didn't help in the matter. We had this same problem with special teams when Cowher was coach, you would think they could have it resolved by now.

At any rate look for some auditions from Punters in 2013, and a ST coach who can improve the mess.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-03-2013 at 07:20 PM.