Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Haley to Arizona?

Legend

User Info Menu

Insider with Steelers organization says Haley wants Cardinals job badly despite the facade he is letting on. Says Haley has to put facade because he wants to leave Steelers gracefully

Again, if Haley is given the opportunity to take this job, I would be shocked if he turns it down.

Legend

User Info Menu

Todd Haley hasn’t said yes to Cardinals interview

Posted by Josh Alper on January 4, 2013

On Thursday, there was a report that the Cardinals requested permission to interview Todd Haley for their head coaching position.

The Steelers can’t block Haley from taking the interview, but Haley can turn down the opportunity himself. According to Ed Werder of ESPN, Haley might wind up doing just that.

Per Werder, Haley has yet to agree to the interview because “he loves working for” the Steelers. It was a rocky first year for Haley in the role as he and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger never quite seemed to see eye to eye on the best way to run the offense.

Haley had a positive experience coordinating an offense run by Kurt Warner in Arizona before a somewhat less positive experience as the head coach of a Kansas City team quarterbacked by Matt Cassel. Given that, you can understand reticence about leaping into a muddled, to put it mildly, quarterback situation in Arizona even if things weren’t all that smooth in Pittsburgh.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/todd-haley-hasnt-said-yes-to-cardinals-interview/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's face it Haley knows that coaches seldom get fired from the Steelers. If his offense can produce winning seasons he can just about stay here as long as he wants

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Let's face it Haley knows that coaches seldom get fired from the Steelers. If his offense can produce winning seasons he can just about stay here as long as he wants
    That's what BA thought....

Maybe I shouldn't be the one making this point...I was one who was calling for BA to go.
    I still do think it was time for a change, but the team had winning seasons while he was OC.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 01-06-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm beginning to have mixed feelings on this.
    Offense looked OK in the beginning when the OL wasn't in shambles.
    More and more I'm starting to accept that a really bad OL has been our nemesis.
    BA was predictable as hell though.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Does it matter if you're fairly predictable if the other team can't stop it? I think the OL problems were probably more of the issue, though I could be wrong...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Does it matter if you're fairly predictable if the other team can't stop it? I think the OL problems were probably more of the issue, though I could be wrong...
    I agree, control the line of scrimmage, control the game imo.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    I don't know if anyone else saw the Colts - Ratbirds game but watching Luck in the Indy offense sure brought back some memories. You would see Luck drop back to pass and it was either a wide receiver screen or he would stand in that pocket forever waiting for his receivers to complete their routes. The guy took one helluva beating in that game.

Now back to the topic at hand. I wasn't real happy when they hired Haley. I thought he took the credit for other's work ... Whiz in Arizona and Weiss in KC. But he surprised me and by the time we beat the Giants I was really digging his offense. It seemed to frustrate the opponents defense with the way we converted 3d down after 3rd down. We started to get a little creative with our passing inside the 10 yard line instead of running the back up the middle for 2 plays and then throwing an alley oop to one of our undersized receivers.

Ben was staying clean and playing like an MVP, the line was starting to get confident, our TE was becoming unstoppable and then the next wave of injuries hit. We never seemed to recover from those injuries. I'd really like Haley to stick around so I can see him complete what he started with this offense. I think he can make it one of the best in the league.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

The 3rd down conversion rate was great but I'm not sure if that was Haley or Ben... or both. Early in the year it didn't matter what the distance was... Ben was completing the pass to keep the chains moving but did we score a ton of points? Not really... did we make teams pay when we got the occasional TO... no.

Hopefully these things improve...

The one knock I had on Indy was the empty backfield on 4th and 2. That's an Arians staple I don't miss. No threat to run to keep the D honest. WTF?

The real problem with Indy is young players... they didn't look ready for playoff football and it showed. Ray Rice gave them a few chances too. Sure, you can knock Arians for a few things but we watched Indy play a playoff game and have a shot at advancing.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Arians didn't call that playoff game. He was in the hospital....