Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Haley to Arizona?

Legend

User Info Menu

Arizona gets permission to interview Steelers’ Haleyhttp://triblive.com/mobile/3232904-81/haley-steelers-cardinals
    By Alan Robinson
    Sports Reporter

Published: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 11:44 a.m.
    Updated 8 minutes ago

Only a week ago, Todd Haley said he was exactly where he wanted to be as offensive coordinator of his hometown Steelers.

The Arizona Cardinals apparently want to find out if Haley is interested in returning to another place he once called home. They were granted permission Thursday to interview Haley for their head coaching job.

Haley, 45, was the Cardinals‘ offensive coordinator when they lost to the Steelers, 27-23, in Super Bowl XLIII. The Cardinals thought highly of his work with quarterback Kurt Warner in an offense that was the NFL‘s fourth-best in 2008. Haley ran the Arizona offense for two seasons.

Haley became the Kansas City Chiefs‘ head coach in 2009, but he was fired late in the 2011 season despite having a 10-6 record and winning the AFC West the season before. He had a 19-26 record in three seasons with the Chiefs.

The Cardinals were interested in bringing back Haley last year as an assistant under Ken Whisenhunt, but the Steelers made him their offensive coordinator after Bruce Arians was let go.

Despite an up-and-down first season in Pittsburgh in which Ben Roethlisberger apologized for criticizing Haley‘s playcalling during an overtime loss last month in Dallas, Haley said he was happy being in Pittsburgh.

His father, Dick, once was the Steelers‘ player-personnel director, and Haley and his family built a home in Upper St. Clair, where he grew up.

“I have said a bunch of times ... this is where I want to be,” Haley said last week. “And I will occasionally say to coach (Mike) Tomlin, ‘This is a lot more fun than what you have to deal with.‘ You get to coach and work with the players on a daily basis and interact all the time.”

The Cardinals have interviewed former Steelers secondary coach Ray Horton, and they plan to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy this weekend, according to the Arizona Republic.

Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at [email]arobinson@tribweb.com[/email] or @arobinson_Trib.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

When a coach says he isn't going anywhere it's another way of saying "show me the money"

..and Geno Smith is a bust waiting to happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    If he's offered the Cardinals job, he'd be a fool to turn it down. Head Coach jobs don't just get handed out like lolly bags. It's possibly the best job in sports, regardless of the team you are in charge of. Opportunity does not always knock a second time. This is why Butler is foolish- he should have accepted any DC job he was offered, instead of waiting for the Steelers job once Lebeau retires. Who can say when Lebeau moves on? More to the point, what if Tomlin has moved on by then? Is there any guarantee the next HC will give Butler the job?

If Haley gets offered the job, good luck to him. He got rough-ridden in KC & deserves a better crack at the big time. Unlike Whiz, here's hoping Haley is smart enough to not count on scrub QB's.
    I have to disagree. Taking a job you will likely fail at will likely mean the death of his HC career. The overriding point is to tie your fortunes to a franchise QB... he has that in Ben. He needs to hitch his wagon with him for a spell, and then he can write his ticket. Look at the genius that Tom Moore became with Manning (he was a pedestrian OC for us for years, with Bubby Brister and Mark Malone). Look at Mike Holmgren--genius with Joe Montana & Brett Favre, ham & egger with Matt Hasselbeck. Shanahan is a guru with RG3 and Elway... sub-.500 coach with names like Jeff Lewis, Rex Grossman, etc.

Another coaching job will come, if he sticks it out with Ben.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    When a coach says he isn't going anywhere it's another way of saying "show me the money"

..and Geno Smith is a bust waiting to happen.
    Absolutely not and I don't understand why everyone is over thinking this Haley situation. Coaching the Steeler in any capacity is certainly one of his dream jobs, maybe he's just happy to be a coordinator. The article Ford linked says exactly that, that he's happy to be a coordinator because he REALLY gets to enjoy his players and coach them up week in and week out. I don't see him going anywhere and frankly I was pretty pleased with him post the Ben injury and the slew of other injuries. If this team had only stayed healthy and didn't get fumbilities we'd still be watching Steeler games.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I have to disagree. Taking a job you will likely fail at will likely mean the death of his HC career. The overriding point is to tie your fortunes to a franchise QB... he has that in Ben. He needs to hitch his wagon with him for a spell, and then he can write his ticket. Look at the genius that Tom Moore became with Manning (he was a pedestrian OC for us for years, with Bubby Brister and Mark Malone). Look at Mike Holmgren--genius with Joe Montana & Brett Favre, ham & egger with Matt Hasselbeck. Shanahan is a guru with RG3 and Elway... sub-.500 coach with names like Jeff Lewis, Rex Grossman, etc.

And that job will likely be replacing a HC that had a crappy QB. What's the difference to going for it now? HC's with good QB's don't tend to lose their jobs. It's up to the guy replacing him to not fall into the same trap.

Chadman says 'go for it' and create your own team. Hell, Bruce Arians has just shown the NFL how quickly things can change with the right players. And his team had a crappy QB last season.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

The NFL is an amazing recycler...of head coaches...

If Haley takes this and fails, there will be another opportunity...

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's see...stay as OC on an 8-8 team whose franchise QB doesn't like you all that much...or be HC of a team where you can rebuild your way (with a chance to get your own franchise QB)...

If the HC job is offered to Haley, I'd be shocked if he turned it down.

Unlike some other voices, I don't think Haley's departure would represent a crisis for the Steelers' offense. Promote somebody that's already there (Randy Fichtner), and they won't have to completely overhaul what's in place, just make some needed adjustments. Not a big problem.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

Didn't Holmgren take Seattle to the SB with Hasselback? That's success in my eyes when you view the history of Seattle. It didn't work out long term but long term employment and HC aren't the norm. Holmgren was also the GM and that puts more pressure on your job IMO.

There is no death of a career if you fail at turning around a bad franchise.... Haley went 8- with Ben this year and if Ben isn't all in I can't see why Haley would stick around unless he truly wants to be an OC instead of a HC.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    And that job will likely be replacing a HC that had a crappy QB. What's the difference to going for it now? HC's with good QB's don't tend to lose their jobs. It's up to the guy replacing him to not fall into the same trap.

Chadman says 'go for it' and create your own team. Hell, Bruce Arians has just shown the NFL how quickly things can change with the right players. And his team had a crappy QB last season.
    Head coaching in the NFL has to be the crappiest job prospect there is. 90% of the time you are given a failure of a team that other people have left in complete disarray and told you have 1, maybe 2, years to fix it. If you don't get a team in position to draft a great young quarterback you can pretty much expect to be a failure too.

I'd say the only difference in Haley going for it now or at a later time is the quarterback prospects available this year look like they will just lead to another round of HC firings in a couple years. Unless of course he lucks into a great situation like Tomlin did where you get a team in their prime because the other coach has been around for awhile and wants out of the game. That's pretty darn rare though.

Legend

User Info Menu

The latest report for what it's worth:

Ed Werder@Edwerderespn[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/Edwerderespn/status/287204446662975491"]1h[/URL]Steelers OC Todd Haley has not yet agreed to interview for Cardinals HC job and proceeding cautiously because he loves working for Steelers