Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DeVille Does the Offseason

Legend

User Info Menu

DeVille Does the Offseason

(been working on this a couple of days - let me know if I've got old info - blush)

Team Review (8-:

At times, it was hard to pinpoint problems on the 2012 team. There were a few injuries, but, that happens to everyone, every year. I did have my concerns about the ILB core – I thought they made the wrong call keeping Foote instead of Farrior… turns out, it was a big problem.

This ILB move was key though, because late in games when the team needed to stop the run, they did tend to struggle, right up the middle. Foote is a UFA and rumor is Foote is considering retirement, he gets paid too much for how he performed, anyway. I don’t see him being re-upped – at least not at a starter’s salary.

Offensively, a few key injuries threw off the rhythm, but, my gut says they’ll be ok, with or without Haley, as long as Ben is healthy and works with Haley on a little give and take. EVEN MINUS WALLACE...

Key Upcoming Free Agents:
    Free agency will be huge for 2013. There are quite a few players that are slated to be Free Agents (both restricted and unrestricted). I’ll list them all and highlight a few key players.

• UFA: Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall, Keenan Lewis, Ramon Foster, Max Starks, Larry Foote, Casey Hampton, Will Allen, Doug Legursky, Plaxico Burress, Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich, Greg Warren, Ryan Mundy, Brandon Johnson, Leonard Pope, Justin King
    • RFA: Emmanuel Sanders, Steve McLendon, Jonathan Dwyer, Issac Redman, Stevenson Sylvester
    • EFA: Baron Batch, DeMarcus Van Dyke
    • David Johnson and Jeremy Kapinos are listed as FAs as well, but, have been
    • Notes on key FAs
      • Mike Wallace (UFA) – will likely get a similar contract offer to what he was given last year. Not likely to re-sign with team, making WR a potential need
      • Rashard Mendenhall (UFA) – My guess is that he’ll think he’s worth more than the team is willing to offer – especially considering Dwyer’s solid season. Apparently contract talks are in progress.
      • Jonathan Dwyer (RFA), Isaac Redman (RFA) – both likely to be tendered; If deal can’t be reached with Mendenhall, these guys would ask for more in a long-term deal
      • Keenan Lewis (UFA) – kid was actually solid; and quite possibly won’t be resigned because he’ll up his asking price… he knows he’s good
      • Emmanuel Sanders (RFA) – he’ll get tendered; ideally, he’ll get a low-to-mid-priced extension
      • Foster and Legursky would be good resignings – both are solid replacements and should come at reasonable prices

Resulting team needs:

I expect the team to move on from Foote. I expect that Hampton’s price is likely too big to sign him to a new contract. Considering Willie Colon’s injury history, he’ll either be cut or asked to take a pay cut – he’s not worth the $7.6 million cap hit he’ll cost. With any luck, they re-sign Foster and Legursky and have a solid core, with only mid-to-late rounders needed on the o-line.

Again, based on my gut feel on the offense, most of the offseason focus should be on the defense… How does the #1 defense needs help? Mostly due to losses, both, this offseason and expected in the next 2 years. It’s time to start planning for life after Harrison. He’s aging and now very pricey. When the season starts, Harrison will be 35; I've also read rumors he may be a cap casualty. Polamalu seems to be slowed more frequently by injuries and he’s also 30+. Finding a safety isn’t as pressing, however with him having injuries coupled with the fact that he and Clark are both in their 30’s, it wouldn’t hurt to keep an eye to the future if a 2-4th round quality safety was available in this upcoming draft. In the meantime, lock up Will Allen.

Addressing those needs
    NT: If they do part with Casey, they’ll need a solid NT, either in FA (Terrence Knighton?) or early in this draft. Because there are three or four projected 1st rounders, I wouldn’t be surprised if the team jumps in on that action. If not, there’s decent talent in the mid-rounds

ILB: A solid, affordable run stuffer may be found in free agency (I could see Tomlin calling on EJ Henderson at a bargain price as a stop-gap); otherwise, this draft doesn’t have any worthy players projected where the team selects in the 1st. The kid from ND (Te’o) will likely be gone, and the next guy (Alec Ogletree) has character flaws (failed drug test) and not the type the Steelers are likely to select. Expect an ILB in rounds 1-4, excluding a key FA signing

OLB: If something can’t be worked out to lower Harrison’s cap, I worry he could be a cap casualty. Expect a good pass rusher to be drafted early to either replace him or at least compete with the young talent

WR: If Wallace is gone, they’ll look for a WR in rounds 2-5 in the draft. Still, they’ll have Cotchery and could re-sign Plaxico Burress. WR’s think highly of themselves, so, best case FA would be another Cotchery-level player

CB: Depends on what happens with Lewis. If re-signed, I’m actually ok with the core; they could wait another year to find Ike’s eventual successor.

TE: This is lower on the priority list, but, we miss Spaeth. I could see a TE selected in mid-rounds to compliment Heath

QB: Expect a flier on a younger kid to compliment Ben. I’m sure Batch and/or Leftwich will be back… but… meh.

OL: There's always opportunity to take some, however, if Foster and Legursky are locked up, they young linemen taken in the last couple of drafts are gonna have the training wheels removed.

(Early) 2013 Draft possibilities:
    NT, ILB, OLB, WR, DB (In order anticipated of priority – not necessarily order to be taken)

Based on talent available, likely to take NT. There are 3 first round talents at NT...

Round 1 Possibliites (ILB, OLB, NT)
    ILB – Manti Te’o, ND; some mocks have him falling out of the top 10. If he does, look out
    OLB - Barkevious Mingo, LSU; if he’s there, this is the “sexy” pick;
    If NT is the pick, I wouldn't mind a trade down - I'd take any of the following 3 NTs
    NT – Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State; Sylvester Williams, UNC; Johnathan Jenkins, UGa
    ILB – Alec Ogltree, UGa; solid player with character flaws (failed drug test)
    ILB – Kevin Minter, LSU; small reach… may be best with a trade down

Round 2 Possibliites (CB, WR, OLB, ILB, TE)
    CB – David Amerson, NC State; Desmond Trufant, Washington
    OLB –Alex Okafor, Texas; DE, who has played in a 2-pt stance
    ILB - Shayne Skov, Stanford;
    TE – Zach Ertz, Stanford (may well be BPA when they draft)

Ton of WRs here in the 2nd... and it's way early in our offseason... so, i'll stop there and wait for the combine before i try to "seed" more players in rounds... happy reading
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

4 first round NT talents- you missed Alabama's Jesse Williams..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Excellent assessment. The only area I would take exception to is making OL an afterthought. Our OL is still a mess and IMO it is a much higher priority to resign Starks more than either Foster or Legursky. We also need to take a Guard for a long term option opposite of DeCastro.

I think TE is a position we need to watch because we have no idea how long Miller may be out recovering from surgery. May have to go earlier at this position than we would like or bring in another FA. Neither Paulson or Pope can handle the starting role.

As far as OLB, Harrison is going to have to take a significant paycut. Whether his "angry man" ego allows him to or not is going to be interesting to watch. I would not touch Mingo. I think he has 1st Round bust written all over him. If we go OLB I'd rather have Jordan from Oregon or Ansah from BYU.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would take a long look at Rashad Jennings from Jacksonville. When MJD was down no one seemed too worried because Jennings looked like a capable replacement. Then he sucked. I think there's a good chance he sucked because he was in Jacksonville this year. It's hard not to suck there in that offense.

I bet he will be significantly cheaper than Mendenhall would be.

Legend

User Info Menu

It was a real shame not getting to see what they had in Spence out of Miami. He could have gotten some decent playing time this year for a good evaluation on what they had.

OL: it's a bummer that the steelers have spent 1st or 2nd round picks on OL the last 4 drafts: 2012 - 1st (G) & 2nd (tackle); 2011 - 2nd (Tackle); 2010: 1st (Center); 2009 - 2nd (Tackle) and it's still a need. It'd be great to just write in the 4 picks from 2010 - 2012 as starters and adress other concerns.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Excellent assessment. The only area I would take exception to is making OL an afterthought. Our OL is still a mess and IMO it is a much higher priority to resign Starks more than either Foster or Legursky. We also need to take a Guard for a long term option opposite of DeCastro.
    With Starks, i wonder if they young OTs will be able to get it together. I would like to see Starks retained, but, as another body "cuz the youngin's are gonna grow into good players"

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    4 first round NT talents- you missed Alabama's Jesse Williams..
    Crap, how'd i do that? Anyway, you're right.

Crazy, i just read Rob "boomer"Rang's mock draft... Te'o going 15th... I'd sell the farm to move up 2 spots...

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It was a real shame not getting to see what they had in Spence out of Miami. He could have gotten some decent playing time this year for a good evaluation on what they had.

OL: it's a bummer that the steelers have spent 1st or 2nd round picks on OL the last 4 drafts: 2012 - 1st (G) & 2nd (tackle); 2011 - 2nd (Tackle); 2010: 1st (Center); 2009 - 2nd (Tackle) and it's still a need. It'd be great to just write in the 4 picks from 2010 - 2012 as starters and adress other concerns.
    It's a shame we've spent so many premium picks on both lines and we're still could use OLine and DLinemen early in the draft again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It's a shame we've spent so many premium picks on both lines and we're still could use OLine and DLinemen early in the draft again.
    but, we havent' spent a premium pick on NT... that's the only one i think we need... i think injuries caught up with the team on the oline.... personally would like to see an NT and not much else in the trenches...

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    but, we havent' spent a premium pick on NT... that's the only one i think we need... i think injuries caught up with the team on the oline.... personally would like to see an NT and not much else in the trenches...
    I'm with ya. I think NT is our big need and there's probably gonna be a good one available when we pick.

I have this feeling though that the BPA when we pick is gonna be Warmack. And we need another interior OLineman like we need a hole in the head. But somehow Colbert will pick him because he's BPA.

Just as important imho is Deebo's future successor. As long as we're running 3-4, OLBs should be our star player. We don't get to pick this high very often, so maybe we consider a pass rusher. I'm just not sure who I'd take and have a feeling we might reach if we do take someone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm with ya. I think NT is our big need and there's probably gonna be a good one available when we pick.

I have this feeling though that the BPA when we pick is gonna be Warmack. And we need another interior OLineman like we need a hole in the head. But somehow Colbert will pick him because he's BPA.

Just as important imho is Deebo's future successor. As long as we're running 3-4, OLBs should be our star player. We don't get to pick this high very often, so maybe we consider a pass rusher. I'm just not sure who I'd take and have a feeling we might reach if we do take someone.
    For OLB in Round 1, I like:

Dion Jordan
    Ezekial Ansah
    Corey Lemonier

In Round 2:

Sam Montgomery
    Alex Okafor
    Tank Carradine

I want no parts of Bar. Mingo.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"