Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DeVille Does the Offseason

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Did you see Dion Jordan in the Fiesta Bowl? And you would use a first round pick on him? He has a ton of talent (and even more hype), but on the field, what are we really seeing from him? It's not what you would think or expect.

Fiesta Bowl was probably the worst I've seen him play but his upside in undeniable. See the following from CBSSports hwere he was injured which likely effected his play

[URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631835/dion-jordan"]DE Dion Jordan[/URL], Oregon – When he was on the field, Jordan looked like his usual future-first-rounder self, but he was forced to the sidelines on several occasions, presumably because of a lingering shoulder injury that has limited him much of the season. With his lanky frame, durability will be a question mark moving to the next level and one of the few negatives against the athletic pass rusher
    Besides, it's not like he wouldn't have a year or two before he played under LeBeau anyway. He'll add 10-15 pounds to his frame easy in the NFL.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-05-2013 at 12:28 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Fiesta Bowl was probably the worst I've seen him play but his upside in undeniable. See the following from CBSSports hwere he was injured which likely effected his play

Besides, it's not like he wouldn't have a year or two before he played under LeBeau anyway. He'll add 10-15 pounds to his frame easy in the NFL.
    What good is upside when it doesn't translate over to the field? And again is this really what you want from the number 17 overall pick?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Oh and this that you post from CBS Sports is exactly what I mean in regards to the hype. Dion Jordan made no plays. Not one. Zero tackles. How did he look like a first round pick when he was on the field?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quick revision - Adding RB to the mid-tier needs... Between Mendenhall and now Rainey, needs have changed...

Mock 2.0 (Jan 20)

1. Manti Te’o, ILB, ND – it may take years to determine whether this is a blessing or a curse, but, the scandal ensures this guy is available for the Steelers.(other possibilities, Alec Ogletree, one of the NT’s)
    2. Jessie Williams, Sylvester Williams – with 4-5 first round NT talents, at least one will fall out – not everyone needs an NT.
    3. Landry Jones, QB, Alabama – I just have a hunch on this guy. Good coaching and a couple of seasons to learn a system and he could be a really good QB
    4. Joseph Randle, RB, OSU – decent speed, studly in passing game. A little slim, but, will put his shoulder down, has “wiggle” and is A+ in the passing game(other possibilities, Stepfan Taylor, RB Stanford – underrated runner)
    Last edited by SteelerOfDeVille; 02-12-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Hate to keep re-bumping my post (really, I don't)... however, as the offseason goes on, I've had one realization... I further strengthen my opinion that this team needs at least 1, if not 2 LBs who are ready to contribute NOW... One needs to be a studly run-stuffer. Keeping hope alive on Spence, however, he's a little light in the pants and that scares me. Moreover, even if he starts, who's gonna be the backup? Anybody you trust?

And at OLB, the other needs to be a can't miss OLB, not an Alonzo Jackson. There are some cool names coming up - freakish athletes with one move, no technique, but, ran track. Guys with busted up necks... and fake girlefriends. Trust me, I'm not saying yea or nay to anyone. I'll trust the team to do their homework..

Truth is, I'd love to see another Timmons-Woodley type draft, but, one Timmons (a guy who could play either) would make me happy. Assuming Foote's gone, this team needs an ILB, whether by draft or Free Agency. There's also the threat of losing Harrison. Think of that... LBs are the heart and soul of a 34 and that could be gone.

I know the other needs - WR, RB, NT, DB are there, but, I would truly take best LB available in the 1st. There are several 1st round LB talents... Not so with WR, RB... that's unusual... don't get me wrong, I'd consider NT if the LBs were gone... but, that's my only deviation from the plan this year... 2 positions of need have 1st round gold mines out there - I'd cash in.

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)

Legend

User Info Menu

Truth is, I'd love to see another Timmons-Woodley type draft, but, one Timmons (a guy who could play either) would make me happy
    Check out Stanford's Chase Thomas if you are after that sort of player..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Check out Stanford's Chase Thomas if you are after that sort of player..
    The ILB (Ogltree) at UGa is also like that... The video i've seen of him is less than impressive, though...

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    The ILB (Ogltree) at UGa is also like that... The video i've seen of him is less than impressive, though...

I like Ogletree, but he is more of a run and chase Lb'er. I see him as a better fit in the 4-3. However Kevin Minter fits the bill nicely at 3-4 ILB.

The guy is a game 1 starter at ILB next to Timmons. Unfortunately I think the Ravens snatch him up at pick 32.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Out of our seven picks I hope they address TE,RB,WR and throw in a safety,ILB,OLb and a QB then I'll be happy.

1. If we lose JH, we have Worlids ready to go.

2. Hampton, we have Hood, mclendon, ta'amu,Fangupo, take your pick

3. We lose Colon, we have Beachum in his place, with malecki and Legursky as backups if Legs is signed.

4. If we can't sign Lewis, we still have Ike and Cortez, but I prefer to sign Keenan.

5. With Wallace most likely gone, replacing him won't be easy but we replaced Plax, and Holmes so it can be done.

6. My concern is TE, especially in Haley's offense. We need a TE and a good one, It's a guess how long before Heath returns and we'll need a TE anyway for the near future.

7. RB for sure, one that can carry the load as a feature back with the combo of speed and power.

This offense needs addressed now, if we want to compete. I'm not implying we neglect our defensive needs but I'm tired of seeing this offense pussy-foot down the field and come away with three.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I like Ogletree, but he is more of a run and chase Lb'er. I see him as a better fit in the 4-3. However Kevin Minter fits the bill nicely at 3-4 ILB.

The guy is a game 1 starter at ILB next to Timmons. Unfortunately I think the Ravens snatch him up at pick 32.
    After looking extensively at LBs, that's the guy I want, hands down... I honestly take Minter in the first and it's easy... just updated my mock with that, in fact...
    Speaking of that mock, I actually believe Robert Woods starts, too. Hard worker, good everything (size, speed, hands)...
    And I underrated Montee Ball... His vision is sick. Can't believe he's projected in the 4th in a lot of mocks with his production. He'd beat out all our runners by mid-season... Of the runners, I'm also a fan of Stephan Taylor, Stanford.
    In recap, yup, I just got excited about my mock!!!

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)