Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who was the Steelers' best back after all?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Who was the Steelers' best back after all?

Jonathan Dwyer 156 623 4.0 34 2
    Isaac Redman 110 410 3.7 28 2
    Rashard Mendenhall 51 182 3.6 20 0

JD has the most yards, and the highest yards per carry. Yea, it was really disappointing how he had zero endurance and waved his arm to get out of the game every time he had two carries in a row, but he was still out best back, no matter how you analyze it. I recall someone saying that would be the case if he got enough carries way back in July. I still will accept JD on this team as a _part time_ back, but we do need to find the bread and butter back; I don't think that guy is on the roster yet. I would take Lacy out of AL in the 2nd if he is there.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Don't forget:

Dwyer - 18 catches - 106 yards - 5.9 avg - 0 TD also 2 Fumbles
    Redman - 19 catches - 244 yards - 12.8 avg - 0 TD also 3 Fumbles
    Mendy - 9 catches - 51 yards - 6.9 yards - 1 TD also 3 Fumbles

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the best answer is probably none of the above. They all showed some flashes of playing well - flashes that mostly coincided with the play of the offensive line - and all showed terrible ineffectiveness at other times.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwyer, and if had been in decent shape things might have been different

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I think the best answer is probably none of the above. They all showed some flashes of playing well - flashes that mostly coincided with the play of the offensive line - and all showed terrible ineffectiveness at other times.
    Dwyer was the only one who showed he could still make plays, even if the OL didn't make a hole. He kept plays going when they looked like there was nothing there. IR sometimes PLOWED through defenders when holes weren't there, but a little less effective. RM did bounce a few plays outside, but not enough. Only problem with JD was after a few (2) decent carries he took himself out of the game. In only ONE game did he NOT do this. And I thought he would be work horse from then on, but it didn't happen; he once again took himself out of the game ever few carries just as he had previously.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Dwyer, and if had been in decent shape things might have been different
    Like I said in another post, I thought the would "play" himself into shape, but that doesn't happen if you constantly take yourself out of the game after 2 carries. As soon as he was winded at all, he wanted out. Just doesn't have the drive to push himself. All he can be is a back up, as he is now. We need a bread and butter back. We don't have one. And I just don't think Mendy is the answer, if he hasn't been the answer yet after all these seasons. While will he all of a sudden be a quality back? It's not going to happen. All he shows are flashes. Just never quite breaks it loose.
    Last edited by lloydroid; 01-02-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

I give you credit/props for backing Dwyer before the season started. He was arguably the best back, but that is not saying much.

He certainly was NOT the stud you made him out to be....

I think what we learned about the Steeler RBs this season is that:

-Neither Redman or Dwyer are lead backs in this league.

-Mendy is soft and has attitude problems (but we already knew this)

Legend

User Info Menu

IMHO, we did not have an NFL grade running back this season. I would like the Steelers to bring in a vet like DeAngelo Williams and draft a young back in the 3rd or 4th round, Ed Lacy perhaps.

Rookie

User Info Menu

When the offensive line, specifically Willie Colon, was healthy, both Dwyer and Redman had 100 yard performances...

I don't think it is the RBs as much as it is the health of the offensive line...also, I think Haley will put all of our RBs in a better position to succeed next season...

They don't need a stud RB...the Pats do very well with role players at RB...they simply use them correctly....Haley will do this next year as he did in KC....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    I give you credit/props for backing Dwyer before the season started. He was arguably the best back, but that is not saying much.

He certainly was NOT the stud you made him out to be....

I think what we learned about the Steeler RBs this season is that:

-Neither Redman or Dwyer are lead backs in this league.

-Mendy is soft and has attitude problems (but we already knew this)
    I agree, but I would like to make one differentiation: JD _WAS_ the stud back I thought he would be, but only for a few plays a game, as he has no endurance, hence can't stay on the field long enough to produce like a legit starting NFL back. But, he did make the kind of runs I thought he was capable of - making more out of nothing than Mendy ever has. He just can't carry it enough times without needing to come out. But he _DID_ prove that, when he is out there, he can make plays. But that isn't enough when he has to constantly come out of the game.