Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who was the Steelers' best back after all?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I agree, but I would like to make one differentiation: JD _WAS_ the stud back I thought he would be, but only for a few plays a game, as he has no endurance, hence can't stay on the field long enough to produce like a legit starting NFL back. But, he did make the kind of runs I thought he was capable of - making more out of nothing than Mendy ever has. He just can't carry it enough times without needing to come out. But he _DID_ prove that, when he is out there, he can make plays. But that isn't enough when he has to constantly come out of the game.
    Guess what? Both Redman and Mendenhall also had flashes of good running. All three backs this year showed they can "make plays" here and there, but were mediocre the majority of the time. I like Dwyer and the way he runs but he is *not* this super-awesome-killer-RB that you tried to tout him as. Maybe with conditioning and more experience he will become better, but the same can be said of Redman and even Mendenhall. I'm not really sure what this thread is supposed to be about honestly.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Here's their receiving stats fwiw:

Dwyer: 18 106 5.9

Redman: 19 244 12.8

Mendenhall: 9 62 6.9
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I agree, but I would like to make one differentiation: JD _WAS_ the stud back I thought he would be, but only for a few plays a game, as he has no endurance, hence can't stay on the field long enough to produce like a legit starting NFL back. But, he did make the kind of runs I thought he was capable of - making more out of nothing than Mendy ever has. He just can't carry it enough times without needing to come out. But he _DID_ prove that, when he is out there, he can make plays. But that isn't enough when he has to constantly come out of the game.
    Now thats funny....thats like telling your girl that you are about to show her the best 15 seconds of her life...

I'm just playing now....but obviously we have different definitions of what a stud back should be. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a Dwyer hater by any means...

I was impressed with his performance this year. Hopefully he can continue to train and improve...and be the back we all want to see in black and gold...

Legend

User Info Menu

Both Redman & Dwyer proved that they are decent rotational RB's this season, and can get 'hot' during a game. Both players lack that 'game breaking' ability that Mendenhall has, but Mendy is likely in a different colour next season. Batch didn't stand out at all this season, and the odds look against him. Rainey looks to be the Steelers version of the Chiefs McCluster- hopefully the Steelers can find the right role for him. A breakaway RB that can be used as a passing option and can play as the 3rd down back is required, not necessarily a 'stud' RB. It looks like the Steelers will not be making the RB position a 'large' investment position, and are happy to play the RB rotation game- which is fine, so long as the group are all capable.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    When the offensive line, specifically Willie Colon, was healthy, both Dwyer and Redman had 100 yard performances...

I don't think it is the RBs as much as it is the health of the offensive line...also, I think Haley will put all of our RBs in a better position to succeed next season...

They don't need a stud RB...the Pats do very well with role players at RB...they simply use them correctly....Haley will do this next year as he did in KC....
    Nail = head.
    You don't need to waste a 2nd round pick on a RB. They are literally a dime a dozen. Neither Redman or Dwyer is a bellcow back; but in NFL 2000+, you don't need one.

Add Rainey and Batch to the mix, and I would feel good about going into the next season with that roster (and if need be, pick up a guy in the later rounds).

Legend

User Info Menu

I just don't understand why Dwyer isn't in better shape. He almost didn't make the team the first 2 years (and I believe would have been cut if not for injuries) because he wasn't prepared. And this year he was better but still constantly calling to come out of the game. He's 23. He's listed at 5'11"/229 - it's not so big that a single play should wind him. How is this not being addressed by the coaching staff - give this dude an offseason plan to follow and monitor him throughout (he's admitted he has trouble with eating too much and letting himself go between seasons).

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd also like to add that saying Dwyer was the best back for the Steelers this season is the same as being given an award for being the tallest person at a dwarf convention.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I just don't understand why Dwyer isn't in better shape. He almost didn't make the team the first 2 years (and I believe would have been cut if not for injuries) because he wasn't prepared. And this year he was better but still constantly calling to come out of the game. He's 23. He's listed at 5'11"/229 - it's not so big that a single play should wind him. How is this not being addressed by the coaching staff - give this dude an offseason plan to follow and monitor him throughout (he's admitted he has trouble with eating too much and letting himself go between seasons).
    I don't think it's conditioning of the body.... I think it's mental and I don't think he viewed this year as an opportunity to become THE MAN at RB.

It almost looks like Dwyer and Redman made a deal in practice to make sure they both get touches... I was furious when he ripped off a 9 yarder and waived to the sidelines.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Redman best. He's the most consistent in what he brings to the table. He's not a game breaker, but he gives everything, he runs hard, breaks tackles. I think he's the perfect 3rd down, short yardage, and give a guy a breather back. He's the least talented, but he's got the most determination to make something out of nothing.

I'd try to bring Mendy back and make him carry a football high and tight every hour of every day for the rest of his career. I do think it's fair to consider that Mendy and Batch were coming off injury. Both could be a different back next year.

I'm curious to see if Rainey bulks up any for next season? I'd use him as a WR. He's identical in size to Wes Welker.

Dwyer needs to go work out with Ike this offseason. Get him in shape. It's embarrassing to see him ask to come out after 1 5 yard carry.

I would try to bring in some UDFAs at RB. Get an OLine coach and improve the line and any RB will do.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mendenhall is still the best back on the team from a professional running back skill set standpoint. He needs to hold on to the football, unfortunately, that may have been his undoing this year.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount