Thread: Ray Ray to retire

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ray Ray to retire

[url]http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ray-lewis-retire-20130102,0,3335562.story[/url]

My take on this is that he is trying to inspire his team to win it all this year, with him on or off the field. He may or may not play in the post season. But this announcement is to inspire the team as much as possible for this run. Will it work? I doubt it. But they will probably take care of the Colts. I don't see them beating Denver or NE though.

Legend

User Info Menu

They're 1 and done. They are the worst team in the playoffs imho.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This isn't relative to Steeler football? Ridiculous.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ray Lewis to retire after this season

Just heard awhile ago. He played for 17 years which is unheard of for a MLB.
    I know most fans hate Ray Lewis, but I think he was one of the greatest to play the position and in 5 years will be inducted to the HOF.
    I had a disagreement with some friends of mine on this subject of the best ILB's ever.

The only one I would say was close to Ray was Jack Splat because of his range from sideline to sideline, Butkus was a great one too and the one who played for the Chicago Bears when they won the SB. Jr. Seau was a beast too but I really think with out being a homer Ray Lewis was the best.

I have my flame retarded outfit on too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I know most fans hate Ray Lewis, but I think he was one of the greatest to play the position and in 5 years will be inducted to the HOF.
    I had a disagreement with some friends of mine on this subject of the best ILB's ever.

The only one I would say was close to Ray was Jack Splat because of his range from sideline to sideline, Butkus was a great one too and the one who played for the Chicago Bears when they won the SB. Jr. Seau was a beast too but I really think with out being a homer Ray Lewis was the best.

slightly different suit than the one I put on the other day talking about Brady...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'll believe it when I see it. Raymond isn't getting enough attention at the moment so he spewed his crap. Also Ray probably knows his team sucks and maybe they'll rally around him in hopes the team can play better. If he was any kind of man he wouldn't annouce this crap at this time of the season. Too much of a distraction and takes away the focus of the team. It has always been about Ray and nothing else. He's a dirt bag and always will be. Probably the only person more asinine than Sapps.

Starter

User Info Menu

Hate to admit it but I will actually miss him in how he played. Hey, we had Porter who was a character himself.

I just hope the thread does not go off topic and turn into a judgement arguement about the SB murder and 6 kids out of wedlock.

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I didn't know he had six kids out of wedlock. More reasons to dislike the guy. I hate people that can't glove up. I had an employee I hired and once I learned he had three kids out of wedlock, I got rid of him as soon as possible. Good worker, kind of shifty and would never look you in the eye.
    My pay company would send parts of his paycheck to the courts or whomever and he didn't make much money after that. I used to call him stubby because all he practically got on pay day was the check stub.

I can almost understand one time but three times for this guy and six times for ray/ray. I don't have any respect for Tom Brady either for knocking up one girl and then dumping her. If your not going to marry the person then wear protection. Every kid deserves two parents under one roof and being raised/loved properly.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

For me, I can't judge Ray Lewis off the field, no ones perfect and there's a skelton in everyones closet.
    I'm looking at what he did on the field and it was amazing, to play that long is a tribute to his work ethic, preparing himself to play at a high level.
    Maybe Woodley should take a page out of Ray's training methods, he owes it to the team for what he's making in salary.

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Ray Lewis agrees to deal to join ESPN
    Posted by Darin Gantt on January 3, 2013, 10:59 AM EST

APIt didn’t take long after Ray Lewis announced his retirement for him to line up his next gig.

According to Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch, the Ravens linebacker will join ESPN’s herd of former players as an analyst. Deitsch reports Lewis will sign a multi-year deal, with a significant role on ESPN’s Monday Night Countdown. An ESPN spokesman declined comment.

Lewis’ ability to captivate an audience (whether it’s a locker room or folks sitting in recliners) is legendary, and he had plenty of suitors.

His representatives met with “several of the NFL broadcast networks” during the season, and one of the things that drew him to ESPN was the flexibility to attend his son’s games at the University of Miami on fall Saturdays, rather than prepping for Sunday shows on other networks.

“Ray Lewis has an intensity about him and a way of communicating that is very infectious,” CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus told Deitsch. “He is a bigger-than-life personality, very articulate and [has] an incredible passion for the game. If Ray Lewis decided to take that same passion and put it into a broadcasting career, I think he would be a terrific studio analyst or I imagine game analyst, too.”

The biggest challenge might be figuring out who to crowbar aside to make room for Lewis, as ESPN often struggles to balance the contributions of the many already on hand. With a set full of Keyshawn Johnsons and Cris Carters, they only have room for so much bluster.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/03/report-ray-lewis-agrees-to-deal-to-join-espn/[/URL]

Richard Deitsch MEDIA CIRCUS

ESPN is on the verge of adding Ray Lewis to its talent lineup.

Multiple sources told SI.com the Ravens linebacker is close to signing a multi-year contract with the network. At ESPN, Lewis is expected to have a significant role on the network's Monday Night Countdown program. As with most ESPN NFL talent, Lewis would also be featured on multiple platforms, including ESPN Radio.

No formal announcement from Lewis or the network is expected until the conclusion of the Ravens season. Lewis announced Wednesday that he planned to retire at the end of Baltimore's season. The Ravens host the Colts on Sunday in the AFC WIld Card round.

An ESPN spokesperson declined comment when contacted Thursday morning.

According to multiple sources, Lewis and his representatives from talent agency William Morris Endeavor met during the season with several of the NFL broadcast networks.

One of Lewis' main requirements, according to sources, was flexibility in his schedule so he could attend the games of his son, Ray Lewis III, who will be a freshman running back/defensive back next season at his father's alma mater, the University of Miami. Such scheduling made Lewis an unlikely fit for a full-time role on the Sunday morning shows aired by CBS or Fox where he'd be required to be part of pre-show meetings on either Saturday or early Sunday. There is a possibility Lewis could work for ESPN on some Sundays depending on his travel. Given his star power, it's very likely Lewis would have a role on ESPN's multiple-day coverage of April's NFL draft.

Every network with an NFL contract has a list of players and coaches who would make good broadcasters. Last month, SI.com interviewed executives at CBS, ESPN, Fox, NBC and The NFL Network to find out who was on their watch lists. Unsurprisingly, Lewis was high on most charts. Some believe he can have a Charles Barkley-like impact in the studio.

"Ray Lewis has an intensity about him and a way of communicating that is very infectious," CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus said. "He is a bigger-than-life personality, very articulate and [has] an incredible passion for the game. If Ray Lewis decided to take that same passion and put it into a broadcasting career, I think he would be a terrific studio analyst or I imagine game analyst, too.

Fox Sports Media group executive producer John Entz echoed McManus. "I see Ray as a guy who would be great in the studio because he is so animated and emotive," Entz said. "I think he could fire people up there."

Lewis had 12 Pro Bowl appearances during his 17 seasons and is a two-time winner of the AP Defensive Player of the Year award, including in 2000, the same season he was voted Super Bowl MVP following his team's win over the New York Giants. Most consider him among the NFL's greatest middle linebackers and a first-ballot Hall of Famer in 2018.

[URL]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130103/ray-lewis-espn/?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.