Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The scoring problem has nothing to do with the passing game

Backup

User Info Menu

Arrow The scoring problem has nothing to do with the passing game

Overall, the Steelers are tied for 22nd in the NFL in total TDs scored this season (36), but that's not a reflection of inefficiency in the passing game. Despite the backup QBs combining for one whole TD pass in the three-and-a-half games that Ben Roethlisberger didn't play, the Steelers tied for 8th in TD passes this season (27). It's everything else that's the problem. The Steelers tied for 27th in TD runs (8.), tied for 25th in TDs scored by the defense (1), and tied for dead last in TDs scored by the special teams (0). Simply put, the Steelers were one of the 10 best teams in the NFL at scoring TDs through the air, but one of the 10 worst teams in the NFL at scoring TDs on the ground, by defense and by special teams. The passing game was not the problem this season.

By the way, if Roethlisberger played all 16 games this season and threw 33 TD passes as I determined he would at the pace he was throwing them, the Steelers would have ranked 5th in TD passes, and tied for 15th in total TDs if the scoring output from the running game, defense and special teams remained the same.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Some may not agree but thats our idenity now, but we still have to get better in the run game to compliment our passing game and have some balance.
    I liked the fact that the Steelers utilized Heath Miller more under Haley and he produced on the field second to wallace in receptions.
    I'm worried about next season should we lose Max Starks, he was our most consistent O-lineman and he's not that old. I think most Steeler fans don't have much confidence in Gilbert playing LT to this point, I'm hearing he will compete with Adams for that position and the loser will play RT.

If we could only get 5 starters on our O-line to play together all season we may see good results in our offense, it starts up front. Even if we lose Wallace we still can be productive as he was more of a deep threat. If we look back earlier in the season, especially the 4 game win streak Ben was having one of his best years. We were tops in in third down conversions, and dominating in time of possesion something Haley envisioned when he took over at OC, then the injuries piled up.

The type of offense Haley runs is more of a short to medium passing game, if our receivers would of held onto the ball this offense would of worked for the most part. I would like to see the Steelers keep Plax and Cotchery, they would fit right in to this type of offense with Brown and Sanders being the speed guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Overall scoring production is generally a result of the way the QB plays. More points are produced as a result of the passing game. The QB generally sets the tone for the entire offense. I don't need to look up statistics to reach that conclusion. Ben's style of play makes it difficult for the offense to maintain the consistency necessary to score more points. If the history of this offense under Ben is any indication, the offense will continue to under perform(scoring points) up to many fan's expectations.

Legend

User Info Menu

Fix the OL and get another quality Guard like Chance Warmack and that will make the offense better. Need to resign Starks. If we go into next season trying to figure out IF Gilbert and Adams can man the OT positions then we will have problems.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

supersteeler said: "Some may not agree but thats our idenity now---

If you are saying they contribute nothing on defense, special teams and the running game to the offense and a little more than nothing in the passing game---then I agree.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    If you are saying they contribute nothing on defense, special teams and the running game to the offense and a little more than nothing in the passing game---then I agree.
    How is being in the top 10 in TD passes "a little more than nothing" exactly?

Some of the comments I hear about this team make me glad they're not in the playoffs, in a way, because maybe it'll force people to find new hobbies and interests.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you want to use stats, I think you need to compare first half to second half of the season. It really is a tale of two teams.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A team Being -14 in turnover differential is going nowhere.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    A team Being -14 in turnover differential is going nowhere.
    It's actually -10: +1 when Roethlisberger played, and -11 when he didn't.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    It's actually -10: +1 when Roethlisberger played, and -11 when he didn't.
    Thanks.

Ben was -2 himself in crunch time.