Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 77

Thread: Wallace Reflects on Season

  1. #41
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,576
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I don't think he gets a free pass, but if you don't see the difference of the attitude between the two, then you might be suffering from an inability to perceive.

    MW: Whined and whined about wanting a new deal, even though he was under contract. Didn't show up for any of the camps or pre-season. Made comments showing a non-team attitude. When he finally did show, he played obviously with less than full effort and I mean OBVIOUSLY. Dropped endless balls, didn't hustle ever, and didn't bother to touch Dallas CB for the game-losing int. Just didn't bother.

    AB: Never breathed a word about demanding a new contract. Showed up for all team camps. Took what is considered to be a pretty fair deal with new contract, seen hustling every time the ball was thrown to him ACCEPT the one play where he inexplicably didn't fall on the ball in the end zone vs. SD. Had some drops, but, from the common sense eye test, were not from lacking focus or effort. Even though not a stellar season, the cause was NOT from lack of effort. HUGE difference between that and MW. GIANT, COLOSSAL difference.
    let's talk about perception and reality here:

    Firstly, Wallace was NEVER under contract until he signed his tender, at the end of Training Camp. This is a massive misconception. Not only that, he NEVER publicly complained about the money being offered, as some want you to believe. Every report of this 'top 10' money has never had a Mike Wallace quote in it, ever. And if you can find he quote from Wallace where he complained about the Steelers offer, pease post it, because from here, never saw anything like a pouty Wallace comment about his contract at any time.

    Did he underperform this year? Yeah, he did. Yet he still outperformed his WR peers, even without having. Training Camp to get to know the play book. Chadman would suggest you go back and look at the first half of the season again, though, before you start claiming there was no effort. The hate for Wallace has blinded many to the fact that he was going across the middle, getting hit, catching balls as well as any other WR on the roster.

    Now, Antonio Brown never did make public claims about getting a new contract. Didn't have to- once the FO decided Wallace had rejected them once too often, they tit-for-tatted Wallace's contract offer and gave it to Brown instead. Want to talk about bad team chemistry? How do you think that sat for Wallace? Now, to claim Brown's $42 million deal is 'fair' is kind of laughable- 1 year of production equals $42 million? And how did that pay off? A down year, production wise, and multiple fumbles and dropped catches, or boneheaded running out of bounds at crucial moments of the game.

    Wallace had some bad moments, for sure. But Chadman is struggling to think of when those moments cost the Steelers a game, and possibly, ultimately, a season. One only has to look at the 4th quarter against Dallas to see where Brown cost the Steelers a game.

    ultimately, the Steelers will have to reap what they've sown with the WR's. If investing heavily in a 1 year performer over the multiple year performer is good business, Chadman is yet to see it. So far, the results on the field do not support the Steelers move.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  2. #42
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,107
    Thank you Chadman for injecting a little common sense into the conversation. Thanks also for doing a lot of typing that I didn't want to!!

  3. #43
    Pro Bowler Steelhere10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    man from Sudan
    Posts
    2,061
    I agree with Chad on this one, both parties are to blame but yet the fans jump all over Wallace when players like Woodley have pulled the wool over their eyes he took the money and ran all over the Rooneys and the fans.

  4. #44
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    I agree with Chad on this one, both parties are to blame but yet the fans jump all over Wallace when players like Woodley have pulled the wool over their eyes he took the money and ran all over the Rooneys and the fans.
    To be fair, Woodley has years of production on his side to back up is contract.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  5. #45
    Pro Bowler Steelhere10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    man from Sudan
    Posts
    2,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    To be fair, Woodley has years of production on his side to back up is contract.
    Yes but before the contract after he got paid what have he done ? Wallace had better production in his first 4 years than any player except for three ( I can't remember the names other than Rice ) But my point is since the Steelers value defense and not WR's they tried to low ball Wallace and it will cost them. Heck Woodley , Harrison and Timmons received what 50-60 million dollars contracts.

  6. #46
    Don't bring Brown up to try to defend Wallace...even if the Steelers were wrong to sign Brown, which remains to be seen, two wrongs do not make a right, as the saying goes...

    IF Mike Wallace is a clearly superior receiver, he has not proven it over the last year-and-a-half...again, that's a year-and-a-half...that's not cherry picking...that's a drop-off in production to rival the dreaded "fiscal cliff" that has eaten up journalists' time for the last six months...

    Sure, Wallace was not under contract and was not required to report to training camp last year...so, let's all commend him for doing only what was required of him and nothing more...if he had come to camp in good faith, the Steelers would have bargained in good faith...he didn't, so they didn't...and, if he had come to camp, by his own admission, his peformance would have been better this year...

    But, he wouldn't have done anything differently...

    Buh-bye...

  7. #47
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    let's talk about perception and reality here:

    Firstly, Wallace was NEVER under contract until he signed his tender, at the end of Training Camp. This is a massive misconception. Not only that, he NEVER publicly complained about the money being offered, as some want you to believe. Every report of this 'top 10' money has never had a Mike Wallace quote in it, ever. And if you can find he quote from Wallace where he complained about the Steelers offer, pease post it, because from here, never saw anything like a pouty Wallace comment about his contract at any time.

    Did he underperform this year? Yeah, he did. Yet he still outperformed his WR peers, even without having. Training Camp to get to know the play book. Chadman would suggest you go back and look at the first half of the season again, though, before you start claiming there was no effort. The hate for Wallace has blinded many to the fact that he was going across the middle, getting hit, catching balls as well as any other WR on the roster.

    Now, Antonio Brown never did make public claims about getting a new contract. Didn't have to- once the FO decided Wallace had rejected them once too often, they tit-for-tatted Wallace's contract offer and gave it to Brown instead. Want to talk about bad team chemistry? How do you think that sat for Wallace? Now, to claim Brown's $42 million deal is 'fair' is kind of laughable- 1 year of production equals $42 million? And how did that pay off? A down year, production wise, and multiple fumbles and dropped catches, or boneheaded running out of bounds at crucial moments of the game.

    Wallace had some bad moments, for sure. But Chadman is struggling to think of when those moments cost the Steelers a game, and possibly, ultimately, a season. One only has to look at the 4th quarter against Dallas to see where Brown cost the Steelers a game.

    ultimately, the Steelers will have to reap what they've sown with the WR's. If investing heavily in a 1 year performer over the multiple year performer is good business, Chadman is yet to see it. So far, the results on the field do not support the Steelers move.
    I don't think it was a tit for tat thing with Wallace and Brown. The Steelers felt like they needed to lock up a WR.. if not Wallace why not Brown? The guy has his jersey in Canton, moves the chains, returns punts and has pretty solid hands.

  8. #48
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,576
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't think it was a tit for tat thing with Wallace and Brown. The Steelers felt like they needed to lock up a WR.. if not Wallace why not Brown? The guy has his jersey in Canton, moves the chains, returns punts and has pretty solid hands.
    Signing Brown wasn't 'tit-for-tat', but signing Brown almost immediately after Wallace rejected the contract, to what was reported to be roughly close to what they offered Wallace, was. Go back to last off season & see where we were on resigning Brown- general consensus was 5 years, $20 million- or there abouts. Not $42 million. That's the money you give to the guy that had 3 outstanding seasons behind him, not 1.

    Got nothing against Brown. The guy deserved to be resigned. The Steelers stupidly overpaid him though, because they have 2 guys on the roster that do the exact same job as him in Sanders & Cotchery.

    They have nobody that does the job of Wallace on the roster though.

    And no matter which way you want to slice it, Brown's production was way down this season, after 'getting paid'. Yet he doesn't cop half the spray Wallace gets. The reason Wallace cops the abuse here is because his percieved value of himself is higher than the majority of the fans. As if we pay his wages and all..
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  9. #49
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Don't bring Brown up to try to defend Wallace...even if the Steelers were wrong to sign Brown, which remains to be seen, two wrongs do not make a right, as the saying goes...

    IF Mike Wallace is a clearly superior receiver, he has not proven it over the last year-and-a-half...again, that's a year-and-a-half...that's not cherry picking...that's a drop-off in production to rival the dreaded "fiscal cliff" that has eaten up journalists' time for the last six months...

    Sure, Wallace was not under contract and was not required to report to training camp last year...so, let's all commend him for doing only what was required of him and nothing more...if he had come to camp in good faith, the Steelers would have bargained in good faith...he didn't, so they didn't...and, if he had come to camp, by his own admission, his peformance would have been better this year...

    But, he wouldn't have done anything differently...

    Buh-bye...
    Brown has not outperformed Wallace for a year & a half. The second half of last year, yes- he outperformed Wallace.

    Go back & look at the stats- Wallace was all over every WR on the roster this season- and he apparently mailed it in. Imagine if he'd been motivated like Brown must have been after being (over)paid...

    "Defending Wallace" as it seems to be now known as, is only done because he's become Satan personified in this joint. The attacks on him are so rediculously biased, that bringing up comparisons to board favourites like Brown are the only way to try & show balance. It's easy to like Brown- he seems a quality guy. But to decide Wallace is all that ails the Steelers, and must be ridden out of town because he wants more than some here believe he is 'worth'.....well that's just not right.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  10. #50
    I have gone back and looked at the stats...Wallace has not clearly outperformed Brown this year...

    Wallace per game averages: 4 catches, 55.7 yards, .5 TD

    Brown per game averages: 5 catches, 60.5 yards, .4 TD

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •