Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Main Reason for disappointing season - Mike Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Did LeBeau really change it for the better? Thirteen other teams in the NFL had more sacks than we did and eighteen had more INTs. Do they play in a different NFL than we do or are their Def Coords more adaptable with what they do and how they gameplan? The "fast paced quick throws 2 or 3 step drops" seem a little less difficult for them to deal with.
    #1 in yardage allowed and #6 in points allowed (not sure if that accounts for offensive turnovers that are returned for scores).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    #1 in yardage allowed and #6 in points allowed (not sure if that accounts for offensive turnovers that are returned for scores).

...and out of the play offs. I think the sack and INTs stats are far more telling that the meaningless #1 defense stat. You have to get to the QB and take the ball away. We get worse every year at doing that.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I blame Tomlin for the QB debacle after Ben went down. Ben is injury prone and we had 2 injury prone backups. Should have groomed a back up last year IMO.
    Good point. It is crazy how much of a beating Ben takes for no apparent reason. I remember that game in SF with the lights going out. I don't know the score off-hand, but I remember the game was out of reach at the end but there Ben was in garbage time taking hit after hit after hit.

The Tomlin coaching fiasco of the year was probably when we didn't run the 2 pt conversions against San Diego. Tomlin claimed a couple reasons why we didn't do this, but eventually settled on some sort of rationale that we didn't want to show our cards for 2 pt conversions because the game was effectively out of reach. Ok, I think that is ridiculous, but it's an explanation. So why did Ben stay in anyway if the game was out of reach?

One begins to wonder if Ben is staying in games to protect our even more injury-prone backups. That sounds insane, but so did the various rationales Tomlin gave for the no 2pt conversion explanation.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I find it bizarre that some don't think Tomlin is responsible for team focus, effort and discipline. Anyone ever watch "Restaurant Impossible?" It's a reality show where this dude comes in and fixes eateries that are going out of business. You know the #1 thing he usually has to fix to get a failing joint back on track? The biggest glare is usually because there is no real manager or boss, and everyone is allowed to just kind of do their own thing. In other words, with no actually boss, managing the people, leads to a crappy service and cooking situation. No one in charge, and human being tend to lack full effort. It is a fact of human nature. So who is the main "boss" of an NFL team? The head coach. Thus, any problems such as lack of focus, effort and discipline is on Tomlin. For the fools who say "the football players are making millions of $ so they should need to management" are so out-of-touch with the reality of the human race.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfnxjMcKfU[/url]

Rookie

User Info Menu

No, being a cook and a professional athlete are two different things....

I think a football player looks (or should look) at their responsibility like a teacher...you are under contract with an organization...you work with a team, but are responsible for your duties...there is a manager and evaluator who observes and offers input, but no one is there holding your hand throughout the day...you are judged by your results...I don't need anyone to come up with my motivation...I love my job and I am lucky to have the opportunity to do it...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

...and out of the play offs. I think the sack and INTs stats are far more telling that the meaningless #1 defense stat. You have to get to the QB and take the ball away. We get worse every year at doing that.
    I give you that being #1 defensively is a meaningless stat but doesn't defense come down to how many points you give up? We seem to do damn well in that category every year under LeBeau. We started out horrible this year and he managed to turn it around ... without his star players being healthy.

We are not out of the playoffs because of the defense. We are out of the playoffs because of our inconsistent offense and poor offensive line play.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

I don't care about anything but points allowed...the other stuff is window dressing...

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers lost 2 home games in which the defense did not allow a touchdown. Which side of the ball was a problem again?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I don't care about anything but points allowed...the other stuff is window dressing...
    Fair point, but it's tough to argue with being #6 in points allowed.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Fair point, but it's tough to argue with being #6 in points allowed.
    I'm agreeing with you...