Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Main Reason for disappointing season - Mike Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    $$$$

This season was Tomlin's worst performance as Steelers' head coach. Don't see why pointing that out raises such ire...I think it was fairly obvious. I'm pulling for him to turn it around next season.
    I agree.

The team was 8-8, and ultimately, the head coach bears responsibility for that record. The line is always "the standard is the standard" and that should apply to Tomlin as well.

The team did not seem ready to play in a lot of games this year, as many have noted, not only on this message board, but even in comments from guys like Keisel and Polamalu.

Additionally, we saw some very questionable in-game decisions. Most troubling to me was when Tomlin, by his own words, gave no consideration to punting late in the Bengals game instead of putting Suisham out there for a 54 yard field goal. If he was not considering that 54 yards is beyond Suisham's typical range, was into the open end and would be the longest kick ever at Heinz, then he simply wasn't doing his job. He should weigh those factors, and if he found that something led him to another decision, fine - but those are things that a coach needs to consider.

The special teams were a disaster. They repeatedly put the team in poor field position with dumb penalties. Additionally, there were issues like Brown being lined up too deep on a punt return in I believe the Cowboys game. The overall lack of discipline is, at least in part, a coaching issue. Amos Jones is Tomlin's buddy from back in the day, but he should be gone. If not, full responsibility for the STs failures rests with Tomlin.

Just like Ben, Tomlin had a bad year. I'd like to see both guys return next year, and see both of them have better years.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    He failed to have them ready to not turn the ball over...it's called better practices, focus......when you have 3 different RB fumble in a game
    that is focus and basic football practices ...
    This...and this.

Mike Tomlin began showing his inability to prepare this team each week. Penalties, turnovers, and bone head decision making (players and coaches) left all of Steeler Nation reeling at the end of each game. If gun control measures are ever passed, it might help out the Steelers because maybe then they can stop shooting themselves in the foot every week. Tomlin lacked the ability to prepare this team against lesser opponents (see Raiders, Titans, Chiefs, Browns). Even when the house of cards was about to fall on this season, the Steelers were given golden opportunities to make a race out of the division and overtake the Baltimore Ravens. Instead of fighting when their backs were up against the wall, this team failed to show any fight, any heart, to make a true playoff push.

Tomlin’s failures are essentially a very damning part of the failures for the 2012 Steelers and is the most disappointing one for me. It’s the head coach’s responsibility to get a team prepared each week no matter who the opponent is or how strong or weak a schedule you have. Poor game management once the clock starts ticking makes it even worse. Tomlin has lots to prove over the next few seasons – player development, preparedness, and game management.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer View Post
    Isn't this just a matter of semantics? Coaches, like a CEO or other top manager, are responsible for the overall performance of the organization?
    Usually, CEOs are the highest paid members of the organization. If others made as much, if not more, than the CEO, I'd hold them just as accountable, if not more so....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    No. Head coaches don't win games. Players do. If head coaches won games, "genius" Belichick would have had SB rings in Cleveland....
    This is a very dumb statement. First off... Billicheat wasn't a genius in Cleveland. Second... plenty of people said Billicheat developed a win at all cost attitude after Cleveland. Ever since Billicheat WON games.. they have won SB's, spanked us more than a few times and pretty much win 10 to 12 games every year and he hasn't been anywhere near a hot seat.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This is a very dumb statement. First off... Billicheat wasn't a genius in Cleveland. Second... plenty of people said Billicheat developed a win at all cost attitude after Cleveland. Ever since Billicheat WON games.. they have won SB's, spanked us more than a few times and pretty much win 10 to 12 games every year and he hasn't been anywhere near a hot seat.
    ....after he lucked into Tom Brady and also cheated....

You don't suddenly become a genius. That is the dumb statement....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    $$$$$

Fans just like to blame coaches because it is an easy target versus a real analysis of how multiple players screwed the pooch. Plus fans haven't invested emotionally and economically (Jerseys) in coaches.

Belichek is now a "genius" because he has one of the greatest QBs every to play the game. When Brady retires we could see a wholly different Belichek again.

There are many things a coach can't control.
    Billicheat made Cassel rich... and it isn't like Brady was a 1st round beast he was a 6th round nobody. Billicheat is a genius because he gets the most out of his players and he doesn't have a problem switching to a 4-3 or 3-4 from week to week. Brady isn't the best in the game because he has the best arm, best athleticism or is some freak athlete. Billicheat designs his offense to fit the players they have and they exploit teams weaknesses.

Look at how long it took for us to finally attack the Pats weakness and get a win over them with Brady? It takes our coaching staff 8 years to figure this out.... it would take Billicheat 8 plays to make the proper adjustments.

...and yes, the Pats have Brady but they don't have Doug Flutie and Drew Bledsoe backing him up. They went out and selected Mallet. Once again, a step ahead of us.

I'm a huge Tomlin fan but I think he has a lot of room for growth...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    ....after he lucked into Tom Brady and also cheated....

You don't suddenly become a genius. That is the dumb statement....
    Call it whatever you want but it sounds like jealousy to me. I call him Bellicheat so there is no need to remind me of the obvious. Cheating was part of his win at all cost after leaving Cleveland. Oh well... but since being caught he hasn't had a problem winning a bunch of games.

..and it wasn't all of a sudden. He didn't leave Cleveland and win 3 SB's in a row the next 3 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    $$$$$

Fans just like to blame coaches because it is an easy target versus a real analysis of how multiple players screwed the pooch. Plus fans haven't invested emotionally and economically (Jerseys) in coaches.

Belichek is now a "genius" because he has one of the greatest QBs every to play the game. When Brady retires we could see a wholly different Belichek again.

There are many things a coach can't control.
    I always pictured you in a Dick Lebeau jersey every Sunday

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This is a very dumb statement. First off... Billicheat wasn't a genius in Cleveland.
    I agree. And yes, Thomas Edison was a failed inventor for most of his life. It matters not that BB didn't have all the answers in his first stint as head coach (although he did get Cleveland to the play offs - something that almost never happens ever since the Kosar era). It has been proven that good coaches do make a difference. To deny that is ridiculous.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I agree.

The team was 8-8, and ultimately, the head coach bears responsibility for that record. The line is always "the standard is the standard" and that should apply to Tomlin as well.
    He's been around the track enough times to have figured this out.