Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the most significant thing Steelers can do to improve in 2013?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What is the most significant thing Steelers can do to improve in 2013?

For me, it's staying healthy and limiting injuries especially the O-line/ scoring points. If we look back one of the issues we had was scoring points, we only hit 30 or more one time, 5 losses @ 3 points was a killer for us not making the post season.
    It all starts up front, our O-line played well in spurts but never had the continuity, as so many players were injured in the course of the season. When you have good blocking the other parts of the offense fall into place especially running the ball, something we didn't do well in.
    Ben didn't play well down the stretch, we had the fumbles in Cleveland, dropped passes in some games, special team blunders, and lack of a pass rush at times. Even with those issues winning two of those 5 losses and we would be playing Sunday, thats why I contend the offense was our thorn in the side.
    Early in the season we had some defensive breakdowns, but they were corrected and they started to play well, but the offense took its turn to breakdown, we never had both units on the same page outside of the 4 game win streak.
    Not to compare us with New Englands offense but we only averaged 21 points a game, while they averaged almost 35. If this offense could of musterd up an average of 24 points a game we would of had a different outcome this season.
    Yeah, we had issues at times on defense but they still managed to be one of the tops in the league. It all comes back on the offense and its been a trend for sometime now, the inability to score points when you have to.
    Sorry, but 21 points a game average isn't doing it. The Steelers need to take a long look at correcting this problem we've had not only this year but years past. I thought we had the talent in skilled positions, receivers, TE, QB, and even running back, it all goes back to having a great line, one that can stay healthy. I'm not going to blame Haley, this offense was doing well in other departments earlier in the season. Ben was having his best year, we were a leader in third down conversions, and was dominating time of possesion. The only issue even then was scoring points.
    We had the same issue in B.A.'s offense....scoring points. Yeah, we were productive from the 20 to the 20 but too often had to settle for 3 instead of 7"s.

Message to the Steelers:

Find a way to get that paltry average of 21 points a game to 24 and we may see a big difference in the outcome of the 2013 season.

Side Note:
    Obviously you need all 3 units clicking to have success not just the offense, but when you can score points even when the other units are having issues you can still win ball games.....See New England!

Legend

User Info Menu

1. Find the Carnell Lake of OLine coaches and fix the OLine

2. Improve the D front 7 and start getting to the QB regularly.

3. Fix ST. Get a coach. Find a real punter. Get a kicker with enough leg for when Tomlin wants to try a 54 yarder.

4. Get the team focused on nutrition and conditioning.

5. Bring in a vet who can provide leadership in the lockerroom.

6. Get rid of the malcontents. No idea who they are, but the Steelers do from the inside. Might even be guys we don't expect.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Flippy, all good points you made, but name me just ONE significant area they could get better at to improve in 2013?

I don't care how they do it but we need to score MORE points!
    When a RB has too many fumbles, a team might make him carry the ball around all through practice and even on the sideline...all week. The Steelers offense should take a page out of that RB senario and carry signs.......Score More Points! ......Just sayin.

Legend

User Info Menu

Fix the offensive line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Flippy, all good points you made, but name me just ONE significant area they could get better at to improve in 2013?

I don't care how they do it but we need to score MORE points!
    When a RB has too many fumbles, a team might make him carry the ball around all through practice and even on the sideline...all week. The Steelers offense should take a page out of that RB senario and carry signs.......Score More Points! ......Just sayin.
    I'd go with #1. Get the right OLine coach and get this unit rolling.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Act like professionals and don't give the ball to the other team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pick your best RB in training camp and go with him after you've addressed the O-Line
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Act like professionals
    You coulda stopped there

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Pick your best RB in training camp and go with him after you've addressed the O-Line
    I'd settle for using the RBs that you have in situations that maximize their strengths...

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers need to improve their pass rush. This includes more push from the guys inside, particularly Ziggy Hood, and from the outside. Harrison began to improve as the year went on but Woodley was awful. He needs to show up in shape next year and ready to contribute. He was routinely handled by subpar right tackles and even tight ends. That simply cannot happen. An improved pass rush should lead to more mistakes and turnovers.

On the offensive side, better health is needed from the offensive line. Gilbert and Colon in particular both need to work on their conditioning. Colon was a very good run blocker, but I have to think that his giant gut contributed to his knee issues. Gilbert's inability to finish games is a major liability, and counting on him going into the season is a major risk.

Better health on the offensive line should help the running game, but so will better backs. Dwyer cannot carry the ball more than twice consecutively without leaving the game, Mendenhall's lack of ball security has not improved since his rookie year and Redman is a fine situational player but ill suited to carrying a significant load. Rainey was a good returner, but I saw little from him as a pass catcher or runner to lead me to believe that he is part of the solution at RB.