Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you change the 2012 draft now?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Would you change the 2012 draft now?

So with Decastro going down and in a spot to draft a even "better" guard in Warmack would you change last years pick? If so who. Would anyone want Hightower now looking back?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hightower would be nice BUT i seriously dread thinking about the future of our O-Line w/out the prospect of having DeCastro
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Warmack on the left and Foster on the right not good enough? Sid I am just poking the bear here. Thinking way outside the box and bored.

Legend

User Info Menu

We need DeCastro AND Warmack to fix the OL. Not one or the other.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

No. I hope that helps...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    How about Zeittler?
    I don't think his leg could take Gilbert falling on it either....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    How about Zeittler?
    That would be an interesting one, looking back with 100% hindsight. I get the sense that the Steelers would have taken Hightower over Zeitler, but that is pure speculation.

Zeitler has been a very solid pick, but down the road I think the Steelers will be fine with DD.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    So with Decastro going down and in a spot to draft a even "better" guard in Warmack would you change last years pick? If so who. Would anyone want Hightower now looking back?
    Who is this Warmack guy? I had to google him to find out.

It's interesting. Todd McShay has described Chance Warmack as the best interior lineman he has evaluated in the last decade, the greatest prospect since Steve Hutchinson in 2001. Here is what McShay said about Decastro, just a year ago:

"[DeCastro is] as ready as I think I've ever evaluated a player in terms of being ready to come in and play at a high level," ESPN's Todd McShay told the San Antonio Express-News in a conference call. "I wrote balance down about 90 times when I was watching his tape. Everything's in balance and under control. He's instinctive. He's absolutely just nasty. Tough, physical, just plays with the temperament you're looking for. Competes and is highly respected by his teammates," McShay continued. "He's the elite of the elite when it comes to guard."

Who cares about Warmack when we already have the guy described above. It's like marrying a hot chick, and then seeing a slightly younger chick and wanting her. Be thankful you got that hot chick. As to changing that draft, I was touting Mychal Kendricks in that spot (24)... I'm not sure how well he played, but couple that with the fact that Spence's career could be over before it began... and Mike Adams reaffirming my original claim (that he'd be a flat-out flop), I would've loved to have seen Kendricks in Round 2 for us.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wouldn't change anything about our draft in 2012.

1. DeCastro would of started day one @ RG if it wasn't for his injury, with missing so much playing time it hurt his progress.

2. Adams would of been our RT with Gilbert being injured, but he too got injured.

3. Beacham contributed this year.

4. Spence would of at least been on the special team unit and possibly get some snaps at MLB.

5.David Paulson contributed

6. Chris Rainey contributed and if it wasn't for some dumb penalty's on Returns he takes two back for TD's. IMHO he wasn't used enough in screen plays where he could of did some damage with his speed.

That's six players making a contribution out of nine picks, pretty good I would think.

Btw, If DeCastro completes training camp and finishes the 2013 season uninjured, he could possibly be our second ALL-PRO on that line. Usually it takes a few years to see draft picks make an impact, I think we have a jump on that with these guys getting playing time their first year.