Thread: Would you change the 2012 draft now?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lets put it this way, by some miracle like last seasons draft Warmack is there for us, I would take him in a heartbeat. Sure we have pressing needs at other positions but, he like Pouncey would start day one. Imagine if that were to occur, we would possibly have 3 Pro-Bowl players on that line with Pouncey,DeCastro, and Warmack.
    I doubt he's there when we pick but you never know, solidifying our O-line would go a long way in improving other aspects of this offense.

I'm a proponent of having good lines on both sides of the ball, most games are won in the trenches, From what I'm seeing the Steelers could use help on those lines but only if we could get an impact player who has the potential to start. Otherwise draft BPA in round one.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Lets put it this way, by some miracle like last seasons draft Warmack is there for us, I would take him in a heartbeat. Sure we have pressing needs at other positions but, he like Pouncey would start day one. Imagine if that were to occur, we would possibly have 3 Pro-Bowl players on that line with Pouncey,DeCastro, and Warmack.
    I doubt he's there when we pick but you never know, solidifying our O-line would go a long way in improving other aspects of this offense.
    You cannot tie up so much investment (i.e. first round money) on one particular area of your team. To answer the question though, you probably would have to know who we will draft this year. For me, I already prefer the DeCastro side, even though his rookie season was a wash. (It's disconcerting that he started his year hurt, and ended his year hurt.)

But, I think the real question should be, do you prefer Hightower/Warmack? Or:

-Decastro/Te'o
    -Decastro/Johnathan Jenkins
    -Decastro/Ogletree
    -etc.

As I said, I think Decastro was an absolute steal at 24, and from a pure value perspective, much better than taking Warmack at 17 (i.e. around where he should get drafted) and have taken Hightower at 24 last year (i.e. around where he was valued).

We got a bargain last year IMO. If we can again, get a good bargain, that's the plan.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You made some good points Shoe, fans get wowed when they see a player dominate like Warmack did but I see your point on tying too much cash up in one area.

Maybe we need to find some fast Willie Parkers out there who go undrafted and we get them on the cheap. There are players out their who are overlooked its just finding them.