Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you change the 2012 draft now?

Legend

User Info Menu

I would like to sincerely congratulate TE David Paulson for being the only member of the 2012 draft class to not get either injured, arrested, or cut...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I would like to sincerely congratulate TE David Paulson for being the only member of the 2012 draft class to not get either injured, arrested, or cut...

ha, nice!!

I am so glad we got DeCastro, I think he'll be one of the best.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lets put it this way, by some miracle like last seasons draft Warmack is there for us, I would take him in a heartbeat. Sure we have pressing needs at other positions but, he like Pouncey would start day one. Imagine if that were to occur, we would possibly have 3 Pro-Bowl players on that line with Pouncey,DeCastro, and Warmack.
    I doubt he's there when we pick but you never know, solidifying our O-line would go a long way in improving other aspects of this offense.

I'm a proponent of having good lines on both sides of the ball, most games are won in the trenches, From what I'm seeing the Steelers could use help on those lines but only if we could get an impact player who has the potential to start. Otherwise draft BPA in round one.

Legend

User Info Menu

My question about the scenario and drafting Warmack this year potentially is this. Do the Steelers look at the roster and try to project who will be getting upgrades in salary? For instance, we have Pouncey and DeCastro and by all outlooks everyone believes that DeCastro will be a pro-bowl player along with Pouncey. If you draft Warmack and potentially have three pro-bowl players that are separated by 4 years in age how do you handle contracts? or, can you even afford to have that many pro-bowl players on one unit?

Or, do they draft a slightly lesser player in a later round that will take time to develop into a pro-bowl player giving them breathing room (cutting veterans) in the cap for a couple of years before they have to find a way to pay each player?

I would love to be able to be part of the strategy of drafting, signing and determining needs, etc just to see how the Steelers go about this process and especially now with the cap situation.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was obviously in Hightower's corner and wanted us to pick him, however, with DeCastro there, they did get good value considering he was a top 15 pick.... The Adams pick was a little concerning, in my opinion, and I hope it ends up working out for us.

With this said, I would actually prefer Te'o if we can somehow get him in this year's draft. So, Warmack and Hightower wouldn't be as good (in my opinion) as DD and Te'o.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Lets put it this way, by some miracle like last seasons draft Warmack is there for us, I would take him in a heartbeat. Sure we have pressing needs at other positions but, he like Pouncey would start day one. Imagine if that were to occur, we would possibly have 3 Pro-Bowl players on that line with Pouncey,DeCastro, and Warmack.
    I doubt he's there when we pick but you never know, solidifying our O-line would go a long way in improving other aspects of this offense.
    You cannot tie up so much investment (i.e. first round money) on one particular area of your team. To answer the question though, you probably would have to know who we will draft this year. For me, I already prefer the DeCastro side, even though his rookie season was a wash. (It's disconcerting that he started his year hurt, and ended his year hurt.)

But, I think the real question should be, do you prefer Hightower/Warmack? Or:

-Decastro/Te'o
    -Decastro/Johnathan Jenkins
    -Decastro/Ogletree
    -etc.

As I said, I think Decastro was an absolute steal at 24, and from a pure value perspective, much better than taking Warmack at 17 (i.e. around where he should get drafted) and have taken Hightower at 24 last year (i.e. around where he was valued).

We got a bargain last year IMO. If we can again, get a good bargain, that's the plan.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You made some good points Shoe, fans get wowed when they see a player dominate like Warmack did but I see your point on tying too much cash up in one area.

Maybe we need to find some fast Willie Parkers out there who go undrafted and we get them on the cheap. There are players out their who are overlooked its just finding them.

Legend

User Info Menu

if your gonna go back in draft years

go to 09 and take unger instead of Hood who has been average at best

then in pouncey's year there's dez or D thomas right there for us