Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Bulldogs and possible Steelers draft picks on display

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    well, it does take several years for rookies to learn Dick LeBeau's complicated defensive schemes...
    And the result is Keenan Lewis. The guy gets his one season to start and then he is a Unrestricted Free Agent who we will have to pay top dollar to keep. That is the problem with the "Lebeau way" when you finally get to see what a player can do it is a contract year or within one year of one. You essentially get minimal contribution for 2 years.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hmmm...Things could get very interesting. Ogletree has declared & Clowney may challange NFL rule.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 01-02-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Hmmm...Things could get very interesting. Ogletree has declared and Clowney may challenge the NFL rule.
    Ogletree looked very good yesterday, howver I'm not willing to wait 2 years for him to be allowed to play which is why I would default to the offensive side of the ball in Round 1.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Ogletree looked very good yesterday, howver I'm not willing to wait 2 years for him to be allowed to play which is why I would default to the offensive side of the ball in Round 1.
    If somone drafted high on the defensive side of the ball can't hit the field for the Steelers early next year then he is a bad draft choice. You keeping mentioning your 2-3 year DL theory but it doesn't exist with the veterans be shown the door. There is nobody in front of them that is cemented. The only offensive player I see as a possibility is in a trade down with Wallace going elsewhere. It would have to be a significant trade down because I do not like any of the WRs inside the Top 25.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Please tell me what defensive starter should be replaced by a rookie. I really want to know. I'm sure many will say Foote but he had a very good year ... much better than a board favorite last year ... cough ... Hightower ... cough. Hightower with 60 tackles, 4 sacks and 2 FRs. Foote with 113 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 FFs and 2 FRs.

We could have been starting Lewis for years but he was horrible and it had nothing to do with DL's system. It had to do with him adjusting to the pro game
    So board gurus ... do you go with the better player now or the rookie with the higher upside?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Please tell me what defensive starter should be replaced by a rookie. I really want to know. I'm sure many will say Foote but he had a very good year ... much better than a board favorite last year ... cough ... Hightower ... cough. Hightower with 60 tackles, 4 sacks and 2 FRs. Foote with 113 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 FFs and 2 FRs.

We could have been starting Lewis for years but he was horrible and it had nothing to do with DL's system. It had to do with him adjusting to the pro game
    So board gurus ... do you go with the better player now or the rookie with the higher upside?
    Goodness!! Can you imagine what Hightower will be down the road? If that is what he does his rookie year compared to what Foote did, 20 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 FF's and rarely on the field, then Hightower is going to be a monster.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Simply saying "replaced by a rookie" is a bold statement. Perhaps saying replaced by a player behind them or a rookie who wins out would be better. Based on performance, the Steelers transition, and cap situation:

Gone For 2013:

Harrison - (Worilds, Carter, Robinson, or Rookie) Not worth 10 mil or even the 5 mil min salary possible. Time to move on.

Hampton - (McClendon, Ta'amu, or Fangupo) His replacement is on the roster. Let them battle it out.

Foote - (Spence, Sylvester, or Rookie) I would be ok with him returning....But will he return at the Steelers price? May be best option if they feel Spence is the solution. Again, will he return if he knows he is not long term plan? Foote is probably looking for his last multi year deal. If you are going to say his stats reflect his game...You would be incorrect. Good against the run but still a liability in covergae. Stats don't tell you that.

Keisel - (Hayward) Keisel had a good year but he may be a cap cut. His replacement is already on the roster. He may last 2013.

Gone For 2014:

Polamalu - His replacement not on roster but should be drafted this year.

Taylor - May be cap cut.

Clark - His replacement may be on the roster.

Foote & Keisel if they are on the roster for 2013 won't be for 2014. Both are in contract years in 2013 & will be 35 by season start 2014.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I'll take a pass on Rambo and go for D.J. Swearinger from South Carolina in the second. All told, I would also take Philip Thomas (A freakin Ballhawk) from Fresno in the second over Rambo.
    Not more of a ball hawk than Rambo. If you go by INT's. 16 to 13 over their careers. Or PD's for that matter. 34 to 14. It would appear that Rambo is around a lot more balls than Thomas. And I'd take the SEC player over the Mountain West Conference player.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Goodness!! Can you imagine what Hightower will be down the road? If that is what he does his rookie year compared to what Foote did, 20 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 FF's and rarely on the field, then Hightower is going to be a monster.
    This is a weak, weak response. One of these players was a 1st round draft pick and one was 4th round draft pick.

One stepped in for Kendrell Bell when he couldn't stay healthy and seized a starting spot he didn't let go of for 5 years. When Hightower can match Foote's career production, then you can come up with a better argument.

Hightower is what he is. He will be a good ILB. Just like Jerod Mayo of top ten fame is what he is. They are both decent ILB'ers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

Gone For 2014:

Polamalu - His replacement not on roster but should be drafted this year (D.J. Swearinger in the 2nd Rd).

Taylor - May be cap cut (Allen is his eventual replacement, or perhaps next year is Lewis is re-signed).

Clark - His replacement may be on the roster. (Robert Golden)
    I agree with you a lot about this roster for 2014. 2013 is a little trickier. I think Hampton may come back on a vet minimum deal.

Harrison could come back after he is cut. His cap number is just too high and he is too old with a developing injury issue.

Keisel, Foote, and even Taylor are tough calls for 2013. If the Steelers sign K. Lewis, they may go with Allen, Lewis, and a high draft pick at CB.