Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good article on Plax, coaching, etc

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Agreed. I think Gilreath gets a spot. And I think a draft pick or a different FA. Plax is old slow. Same reason people want rid of other old productive players.
    Unlike you, I still think he has plenty to offer our offense...the decision makers couldn't include him in the plan over Barron freaking Batch though....
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't get it. Ben needs a big receiver who can get open. His current stable just isn't enough. Steelers fans wearing rose colored glasses don't make a good receiving corps (with the exception of Miller - who couldn't be stopped, and then the coaches forget about him in the second half of the Dallas game).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i think many are still holding anger against plax for sins of the past. he was a physically gifted WR his first run with us, but not a complete package. I think his time with the giants and tom coughlin helped him mature into a savvy vet who knows how to get open, fight for the ball, draw penalties and has the ability to make the clutch catch. yes, he's not a speed demon - but (like hines ward) he can get you first downs. when you add that to the fact that we only have cotchery as the other veteran AND plax has to realize his next opportunity will likely be his last - I think he will be motivated, work hard and if used properly will be an asset. I also think he will not be highly sought after and there's nothing wrong with paying the league minimum for a guy who still has gas in the tank.

I hope we bring him back.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    i think many are still holding anger against plax for sins of the past. he was a physically gifted WR his first run with us, but not a complete package. I think his time with the giants and tom coughlin helped him mature into a savvy vet who knows how to get open, fight for the ball, draw penalties and has the ability to make the clutch catch. yes, he's not a speed demon - but (like hines ward) he can get you first downs. when you add that to the fact that we only have cotchery as the other veteran AND plax has to realize his next opportunity will likely be his last - I think he will be motivated, work hard and if used properly will be an asset. I also think he will not be highly sought after and there's nothing wrong with paying the league minimum for a guy who still has gas in the tank.

I hope we bring him back.
    This! They want to run this all control offense with 3 yard runs and the chain moving pass designs but then have small framed speed receivers that can't get separation off the LOS, run poor routes, don't block we'll for one another or for the RB half the time, and have made some killer mistakes that have thwarted some huge drives.

We had Plax outside but I would play him in the slot with Brown outside.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I still don't see Burress as anything special at this point in his career. He's a #4 WR and should be played like one.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Ben likes him, he can make the occasional catch and he's cheap, why not? As a #4 WR, he'd be a mismatch for whomever would cover him...or, he'd draw a better CB and create a mismatch elsewhere...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A #4 receiver? I believe he can be much higher than that. Sanders is better than Burress? I think us Steeler fans overrate our receiving corps. It needs to be addressed in the draft this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This! They want to run this all control offense with 3 yard runs and the chain moving pass designs but then have small framed speed receivers that can't get separation off the LOS, run poor routes, don't block we'll for one another or for the RB half the time, and have made some killer mistakes that have thwarted some huge drives.

We had Plax outside but I would play him in the slot with Brown outside.
    TOTALLY THIS!!

Our receivers cannot get open and run routes and create separation. It's one of the reasons Ben holds the ball so long.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not even a Burress fan but it was stupid to have him out vs Cincy in a must win game. Unlike the other WR's Plax knows how to draw a PI flag. I don't care if he;s old and slow... he is valuable in the red zone and we STINK in the red zone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Given that Haley plays the dink & dunk offense, and there are so many short to medium WR routes, separation just won't happen all the time. This is why a big-bodied guy like Burress is valuable, because even when he's covered, he's open due to his height. Reckon we'd be surprised how much Ben would look Plex's way...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE