Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Andrew Luck with BA's offense

  1. #11
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,843
    Quote Originally Posted by jj28west View Post
    I have never seen a live game so I could only see the small window on TV. I hear how Ben has a tendency to wait until the WR breaks open instead of throwing to a spot. This takes time but as we have seen Ben is willing to pay the price for this. Its easy for me to be critical but a 4 yard completion is still a positive.

    Like you said it would be great if Ben practiced on this touch. I am in Pats country so I see this all the time with Wes.

    I don't think anyone who watches Ben play would mistake him for a timing QB. Whether this is because he dislikes it, doesn't trust his WRs, or he can't read a pre-snap defense well enough to know where to throw I can't really say. But we have plenty of evidence that Ben doesn't throw many timing passes.

  2. #12
    If you even look at his deep balls to Wallace when they were beginning to connect. It took some time for BB to gage Wallace but then again so would many other QBs.

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I don't think anyone who watches Ben play would mistake him for a timing QB. Whether this is because he dislikes it, doesn't trust his WRs, or he can't read a pre-snap defense well enough to know where to throw I can't really say. But we have plenty of evidence that Ben doesn't throw many timing passes.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I don't think anyone who watches Ben play would mistake him for a timing QB. Whether this is because he dislikes it, doesn't trust his WRs, or he can't read a pre-snap defense well enough to know where to throw I can't really say. But we have plenty of evidence that Ben doesn't throw many timing passes.
    As far as I'm concerned, if he couldn't read a defense, then he wouldn't have had less than 2% of his passes intercepted in two of the last three seasons.

    I know he's been burnt by "throwing to a spot" in the past. When the Steelers played the Bengals in Cincinnati in 2009, Santonio Holmes was supposed to be Ben's hot read in the event of a blitz (which there was), and Ben threw it to where Holmes was supposed to be, but the only person there was Johnathan Joseph, who intercepted it for a TD in a game the Steelers ultimately lost by three. You gotta remember that the Steelers have had plenty of mental midgets at WR since Ben's been with the team, so maybe he'd rather just wait for them to get open before he throws it. Besides, even if it's the WR's fault, everybody's just gonna blame Ben if he throws an INT.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,843
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if he couldn't read a defense, then he wouldn't have had less than 2% of his passes intercepted in two of the last three seasons.

    I know he's been burnt by "throwing to a spot" in the past. When the Steelers played the Bengals in Cincinnati in 2009, Santonio Holmes was supposed to be Ben's hot read in the event of a blitz (which there was), and Ben threw it to where Holmes was supposed to be, but the only person there was Johnathan Joseph, who intercepted it for a TD in a game the Steelers ultimately lost by three. You gotta remember that the Steelers have had plenty of mental midgets at WR since Ben's been with the team, so maybe he'd rather just wait for them to get open before he throws it. Besides, even if it's the WR's fault, everybody's just gonna blame Ben if he throws an INT.
    Another explanation of his low INTs might be that he only throws when the WRs have separated from the DBs, i.e. holds the ball longer, not because of his 'read'. An interesting question would be how many completions are to the 2nd 3rd or 4th option?

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Another explanation of his low INTs might be that he only throws when the WRs have separated from the DBs, i.e. holds the ball longer, not because of his 'read'. An interesting question would be how many completions are to the 2nd 3rd or 4th option?
    Probably more than we realize, and definitely more than some people want to believe.

    I distinctly remember Cris Collinsworth showing Roethlisberger going through his progressions on a play during a game a few years ago, and illustrating how he'd progressed to his sixth read before he threw the ball. (The sixth read was actually him just going back to his first read after going through all five and finding nobody open.) A few plays later Collinsworth said something to the effect of, "That time he had to go all the way to his fifth read." It's moments like these that make me question those who question Roethlisberger's discipline and football intelligence.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

  6. #16
    Backup kindlecatsb'ng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West of Clowns Town
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Probably more than we realize, and definitely more than some people want to believe.

    I distinctly remember Cris Collinsworth showing Roethlisberger going through his progressions on a play during a game a few years ago, and illustrating how he'd progressed to his sixth read before he threw the ball. (The sixth read was actually him just going back to his first read after going through all five and finding nobody open.) A few plays later Collinsworth said something to the effect of, "That time he had to go all the way to his fifth read." It's moments like these that make me question those who question Roethlisberger's discipline and football intelligence.
    Ben's play that keeps getting referred to as "backlot or backyard" (or whatever term that is used and sounds derogatory) goes to natural instinctive play somewhat like Troy does on the defense--at least that is how I compare the style of play. That comes from innate natural talent and judgement.

    With the QB and WRs/TE there has to be some sync and symmetry to have it come together. This year with the #17 holdout and the new OC, rhythm has to be re-established in the general scheme of things and/or refinement of some technique(s). That takes some time especially if the philosophy has greatly changed, where once was reflexive now needs some cognitive thought to make it happen. The 'new' plan/style of play has to become instinctual again. Then it all got derailed with injury to Ben.

    I recall Ryan Clark talking about his learning to play alongside of Troy--and learning Troy's style of play so they can be complimentary of each others strength. What Troy does cannot be taught; maybe that is the same with Ben.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •