Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If he could come relatively affordable, could the Steelers make a run at..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I remember reading that they were pretty happy with Spence before the injury, so much so that they expected him to contribute immediately. I could be wrong on that but I swear I remember reading it. However you are correct. A LOT of variables involved with Spence AND it can't hurt to add a guy like maualuga. If they could do it, it could be a Farrior like signing.
    True but Spence's injury will probably cost him a potentially great career. I doubt he can get all the way back in 2013.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Given that the Steelers face potentially multiple roster/cap problems, it might simply be easier, and safer to go with the guy you know & re-sign Foote. This gives the team another year to evaluate Spence, see how he recovers from his injury, and get him ready to play a larger role.

Fact is, despite everyone wanting to bag him, Foote went pretty well this year. On top of that, he might be one of the older heads next season, and his prescence might be of benefit to the younger guys trying to learn 'the Steeler Way'. The Steelers could even draft a young, athletic mid-round guy to push Sylvester, or potentially have higher responsibilities down the track.

Here's the thing- the ILB's went quite well for the Steelers this year DESPITE a less than dominant performance from the DL who are supposed to help make the LB's look good. How will the ILB's look next year if the NT^position gets upgraded?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Given that the Steelers face potentially multiple roster/cap problems, it might simply be easier, and safer to go with the guy you know & re-sign Foote. This gives the team another year to evaluate Spence, see how he recovers from his injury, and get him ready to play a larger role.

Fact is, despite everyone wanting to bag him, Foote went pretty well this year. On top of that, he might be one of the older heads next season, and his prescence might be of benefit to the younger guys trying to learn 'the Steeler Way'. The Steelers could even draft a young, athletic mid-round guy to push Sylvester, or potentially have higher responsibilities down the track.

Here's the thing- the ILB's went quite well for the Steelers this year DESPITE a less than dominant performance from the DL who are supposed to help make the LB's look good. How will the ILB's look next year if the NT^position gets upgraded?
    On a scale of 1-10 Foote was probably somewhere between 6 and 7. He is however where Farrior was and that is a major liability in pass coverage. In today's league that create major problems.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    On a scale of 1-10 Foote was probably somewhere between 6 and 7. He is however where Farrior was and that is a major liability in pass coverage. In today's league that create major problems.
    Agree with this. And even though Spence is small he isn't fast. He just reacts well but ran like a 4.7 40yds at the combine. And that was pre knee shredding.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

Chad, could you imagine the splash plays Maualuga and Timmons could make coming forward if they were kept clean by a guy in front of them like Jesse Williams? Maualuga is 26 and Foote is 33. If it is the same money or close to it why not get the younger better player? And Maualuga has never had the luxury of playing for a defensive coordinator like LeBeau. He will improve. And you can bet his ceiling hasnt been reached. Larry Foote's ceiling is long gone.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Not a great game by Rey today...his weaknesses were exposed by the Texans. Don't know if he'd be much of an upgrade over Foote. And I think he might end up costing quite a bit more than Foote.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Not a great game by Rey today...his weaknesses were exposed by the Texans. Don't know if he'd be much of an upgrade over Foote. And I think he might end up costing quite a bit more than Foote.
    Yep, he was exposed again today. He's just not very good. He's no good in coverage and sucks in space trying to tackle backs. He only gets tackles when their terrific d-line ties the backs up inside.

Foote had 15 more solo tackles than him this year. Why would we want to replace him with someone worse again?

Get over the love you had for him when he was at USC. There is a reason two other players went before him in that draft.

Backup

User Info Menu

He looked pretty pathetic today.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

keep that stiff as far away from pittsburgh as you can.

just awful today.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No thanks, he looked like Molasses out there in coverage. Foote can still play and I think he had a decent year, but everyone seems to want to can him.