Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whisenhunt Out in AZ

Legend

User Info Menu

Whisenhunt Out in AZ

There are rumors that Haley is a strong candidate for the AZ job. If he goes, I doubt that Whisenhunt returns - I would imagine that he will end up with another OC gig somewhere.

If this should be moved to the general NFL forum, sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's steeler relevant in my opinion. I also doubt Haley goes, he said the same thing himself and honestly I don't think he should go. We were decimated with injuries this season and prior to Ben's injury he was having a hell of a year. We just need to be able to commit to a running back and keep the o-line healthy and the rest will fall in place. Personally and I'm guessing I'm in the minority I hope they retain Mendenhall for more than just a one year deal and we move forward with him as the guy and the other two backing him up. Intangible wise he's far and away our best option and with getting a full compliment of carries week in and week out I'm fairly confident he'll display he's deserving of the job. Haley as the OC of the Steelers has to be one of his dream jobs, just as a coach for the team. I sincerely doubt he goes anywhere else unless it's something just too good to pass up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    It's steeler relevant in my opinion. I also doubt Haley goes, he said the same thing himself and honestly I don't think he should go. We were decimated with injuries this season and prior to Ben's injury he was having a hell of a year. We just need to be able to commit to a running back and keep the o-line healthy and the rest will fall in place. Personally and I'm guessing I'm in the minority I hope they retain Mendenhall for more than just a one year deal and we move forward with him as the guy and the other two backing him up. Intangible wise he's far and away our best option and with getting a full compliment of carries week in and week out I'm fairly confident he'll display he's deserving of the job. Haley as the OC of the Steelers has to be one of his dream jobs, just as a coach for the team. I sincerely doubt he goes anywhere else unless it's something just too good to pass up.
    Does the "you don't lose your job due to injury" rule apply to coaches as well?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mendenhall may be our best option but that doesn't mean we should sign him. He isn't very good.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Does the "you don't lose your job due to injury" rule apply to coaches as well?
    I'm not sure if you're trying to be cute or not but you can't ignore the laundry list of crap that happened this season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Mendenhall may be our best option but that doesn't mean we should sign him. He isn't very good.
    I disagree. He's had some very solid seasons for the Steelers, then got hurt and this season wasn't really giving a chance after the collective fumble party against Cleveland the first time. I do think he's good and with a full season under his belt with competent offensive line play he'll prove it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I disagree. He's had some very solid seasons for the Steelers, then got hurt and this season wasn't really giving a chance after the collective fumble party against Cleveland the first time. I do think he's good and with a full season under his belt with competent offensive line play he'll prove it.
    Yes, and Willie Colon would be a good lineman if he didn't get hurt. Good thing we signed him to a 2nd contract.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if you're trying to be cute or not but you can't ignore the laundry list of crap that happened this season.
    I think it was said tongue in cheek.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Yes, and Willie Colon would be a good lineman if he didn't get hurt. Good thing we signed him to a 2nd contract.
    Mendenhall has been productive for the Steelers behind really spotty offensive line play. He almost cracked 1000 last season if not for the injury but for the sake of argument say he doesn't get hurt. He then likely has 3 straight 1000 plus yard seasons and in 2010 had 13 td's. He's also the guy that carried us through the Ben suspension. I get that things are very much "what have you done for me lately" but LATELY he rushed for over 1000 yards twice and would have done it last season had he not been hurt. If our line can stay healthy he's got all the tools to be a top tier tailback in this league. I just hope the Steelers resign the guy and I think they will.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

With a solid healthy OL and scheme that uses his strengths (including checking down to him in the open field in the passing game), Mendy could be highly productive beyond his better years here. He is still very young and not yet high-mileage, now with some years of pro experience. I think he would look great in the run schemes in Washington, for example. He may end up in a more favorable scheme elsewhere, and do well enough that some might wish he stayed.