Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allen could have bright future

Legend

User Info Menu

Allen could have bright future

Steelers' Allen could have bright future
    [url]http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/12/28/steelers-allen-could-have-bright-future[/url]
    Posted Dec. 28, 2012 @ 10:08 p.m. ET

By Mike Wilkening
    Two days before the Steelers’ season finale, CB Cortez Allen was asked what he would take away from his second NFL campaign.

“I still have a lot of growing to do,” Allen said. “ … There’s still so much to learn.”

More improvement from Allen would be an exciting prospect for the Steelers considering the promise he has shown in 2012.

Allen’s potential was on full display in the Week 16 loss to Cincinnati, when he had a hand in all three Bengals turnovers. He twice intercepted Bengals QB Andy Dalton, and he forced an A.J. Green fumble recovered by S Ryan Clark in Pittsburgh territory. The interceptions were the first of the 24-year-old Allen’s NFL career. Allen shared credit for the takeaways with his teammates, saying that the defense’s collective play “enabled me to make the plays I did.’

Improved technique will be a focus of Allen’s offseason workouts. He figures to be no worse than the Steelers’ third cornerback in 2013, and a starting spot is quite possible, especially if Keenan Lewis departs in free agency.

We may look back and see 2012 as a “bridge” season of sorts for Allen, a campaign where he showed he could be a consistent contributor for an older defense that will need its younger players to continue to step forward.

“I do feel like I’ve progressed a little each week,” Allen said.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Cortez a lot. Hope we bring back Keenan as well.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I like Cortez a lot. Hope we bring back Keenan as well.
    Same. They're the future of our defensive secondary.

Legend

User Info Menu

The future could be now if Lewis gets a decent offer elsewhere.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    I think the Steelers offer him a nice contract and he stays, especially if they do the same with Wallace.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Lewis looked like a young Ike this season 0 INT's. He should stick around for awhile like Ike I hope. Now Cortez looks like a playmaker better sign him up before he hits the open market in a couple years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not good that Gay finally became an NFL CB only to leave via FA, and now Lewis starts and looks good then becomes a FA, and now we are talking about Allen maybe being ready in year 3 if Lewis leaves.

does the CB's steep learning curve have anything to do with recognizing when they have no safety help by reading what Troy is up to? If so, I would rather our SS play SS and not a 5th LB at the LOS.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 12-31-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Not good that Gay finally became an NFL CB only to leave via FA, and now Lewis starts and looks good then becomes a FA, and now we are talking about Allen maybe being ready in year 3 if Lewis leaves.

does the CB's steep learning curve have anything to do with recognizing when they have no safety help by reading what Troy is up to? If so, I would rather our SS play SS and not a 5th LB at the LOS.

This team looked the most sound defensively with Troy out and everyone playing their roles. They also couldn't get a turnover to save their lives at that point.

It wasn't until the last couple weeks here that some turnovers happened. I'm wondering if that is because they all finally got used to playing with Troy and everything had finally come together.

I can never make my mind up on the role I want to see Troy playing for this defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Troy's interception while Cleveland was driving was a key momentum stopper.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I think the Steelers offer him a nice contract and he stays, especially if they do the same with Wallace.
    I agree. The Steelers look as if they have two young corners who could be more than adequate as starters in Lewis and Allen. But for this to happen (signing Lewis), Ike Taylor is going to have to be released. And I think that is the best move...considering the amount over the cap the Steelers are and the fact that Ike will be 33 next season and on the downside of his career.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash