Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: He could fall to 17.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd like to see a top safety picked high. I am not a draftnik so no recommendations here. Bleacher report is suggesting Kenny Vaccaro from Texas.

We do need to fill the middle, though. I think Gerald Hodges may be available and well worth a later pick and could be very worthy in the middle of the D. I liked what Mike Mauti showed this season, but those knee injuries ... Just an opinion from an admitted non-draftnik.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have a Co worker who is a big fan of Notre Dame and I asked him about the lb and he told me that he is really overrated and that the only reason that he is noticed because the dl is so good and he also said that the guy miss a lot of tackles. So take it for what it's worth and he watches almost all of their games.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

If we have the supposed #1 defense in the NFL that many seem content with and doesn't require change, why then would we use our #1 pick on a defensive player? According to many, isn't this season's downfall on Haley and the offense's fault and logically shouldn't we improve the offense?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If we have the supposed #1 defense in the NFL that many seem content with and doesn't require change, why then would we use our #1 pick on a defensive player? According to many, isn't this season's downfall on Haley and the offense's fault and logically shouldn't we improve the offense?
    Makes sense to me. BPA is the way to go...

Rookie

User Info Menu

You have to ask yourself this:

Are there 17 better football players than Manti Te'o in this year's draft?

If the answer is no, then you simply draft Te'o....

Don't draft for need unless need and value come together, like DeCastro last draft....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Not hardly. Larry Foote is not a run stuffer nor can he cover like Te'o.

I predict a lot of people will miss the boat on Te'o. I see greatness in him.
    It's not out of the realm, to put Larry Foote's name with Te'o. Foote was Big-10 DPOY one year, when the Big-10 was the still the BIG-10. Anyone who watched UM during his days will tell you he was a player. Maybe not the splash player that Te'o happened to be this particular year, but a player.

For a player like Te'o (who isn't a "Patrick Willis" type beast), what you would like to see as an evaluator, is a redeeming physical quality that belies his "average" physical stature/measurables. Specifically for example, I like to know their hand size. I think it says a lot about their ability to wrap and tackle, when they have large hands (to go with their other talents). Ray Lewis, Troy Polamalu are examples of this. At Pick 17, you couldn't really ask for a better pick though. Follow-up the DeCastro pick, Heyward/Hood (who, despite their failure to make impacts on the field, were drafted a lot on character), with Te'o? Wow. I honestly don't think we can be THAT lucky.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You have to ask yourself this:

Are there 17 better football players than Manti Te'o in this year's draft?

If the answer is no, then you simply draft Te'o....

Don't draft for need unless need and value come together, like DeCastro last draft....
    I'm thinking BPA, unless it's a QB or a C. We could use the help about everywhere else.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    I have a Co worker who is a big fan of Notre Dame and I asked him about the lb and he told me that he is really overrated and that the only reason that he is noticed because the dl is so good and he also said that the guy miss a lot of tackles. So take it for what it's worth and he watches almost all of their games.
    I have probably seen every game Te'o has played as well and I dont agree he is over rated. And I am not a Notre Dame fan. It is an unbiased thought on my behalf. If you look at his overall numbers during his career and he he was used differently the past two season I dont know how all those plays would ever translate into being over-rated.

Every player who plays the game of football misses tackles. But with Te'o he is in position to make more tackles than the average player. It's like Ozzie Smith making errors on balls in the hole that go off his glove. He gets to those plays that others cant. Same with Te'o.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Ok Ovi, does not the fact that the Steelers played one of the worst opponent win-loss percentages play into their defensive ranking? Do you really believe this is a high ranked defense? If so..I'll, I can say is you gotta be kidding me?!

Look at the yardage and points this so called great denseness gave up versus the lowly, Raiders, Titans, Browns (game 1), Chargers, and Cowboys this year.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I'm thinking BPA, unless it's a QB or a C. We could use the help about everywhere else.
    Exactly. If Te'o is the best player, than take him. Simple.