Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just me or do other steeler fans Hate New England?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Just me or do other steeler fans Hate New England?

There may be a number of reason a Steeler fan may hate the New England Patriots and I am a member of that club. Why im talking about this is purely just because the playoffs are coming up and as usual they are within the top 2 teams in the AFC and i just cant stand watching them go to the Super Bowl again. I dont know if its the two AFC championship kicks in the mouth that they gave us when we were the number 1 seed, the "dynasty" they had which i ofcourse put in quotes since because of the actions of the spygate scandal. I dont know if its the smugness of belichick or just tom brady being tom brady but for me I just cannot stand this team. I know there's not the rival and hatred of the division rivals but does anyone else feel the same way about them as i do. They just put the worst taste in my mouth after those 2 AFC title games and the spygate scandal. My fondest memory was Ryan Clark decleeting Wes Welker but that still doesnt make up for the others. I really hope they dont go back to the title again cuz itll make me sick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Pats are a good team with a good organization. Tom Brady is probably one of the top 5 QB's in NFL history (it doesn't hurt in my eyes that he's a Michigan guy). It's hard because they were the top team in a number of years that we were #2 (probably better than the NFC rival in the SB).

They are a rival because of how good their teams have been over the years. That said, I don't look at them in the same way as the Ravens or Browns. If the Ravens played the Pats, I root for the Pats every time.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Even Ed Bruchette said today he is sick of them too and their coach and would rather see the AFC North Ravens or Cinci win it out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kindlecatsb'ng View Post
    Even Ed Bruchette said today he is sick of them too and their coach and would rather see the AFC North Ravens or Cinci win it out.
    Funny, because those are the two teams I'm actually rooting against.

Starter

User Info Menu

Bouchette is worthless. Everytime I hear him on the radio as the "Steelers insider" he knows nothing and stammers an "I don't know" or just asks a useless question in response to the question he was asked. Other than that, like most every other sports media figure in town, he is a propagandist for the organization and so anytime a serious question is asked that questions coaching or management, you have to listen to him like he were Baghdad Bob to discern the truth is probably the opposite of whatever he says. Ok, maybe that is a little harsh - but only a little!

I'm with you in hating the Pats more. I would much rather watch Baltimore win a SB than watch the Pats even win an AFC Championship. That is just me though. There is no denying the Patriots have shown themselves to be a better coached, prepared and led team than the Steelers during the last decade and that is hard to take, but I think obviously true.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I have a different take on the Pats. I don't hate them but I'll root for the opposing team every time.
    They have established a good record in the past decade and were usually one of the best teams in the AFC for that time period.
    We seen them withnew coaches outside of Belichick and they still have success. They add players to their roster that seem to adjust to their system and have success outside of Chad Johnson who never became relevant there.

What I noticed is they are a very savvy organization in terms of the draft, up to this point they usually had extra picks in the draft and more than not picked higher even though their record was good. Like Manning, the constant is Tom Brady, we may not like him but he wins a lot of games for that team and is the main reason for their success.

Yeah, whoever they play I'll root for the other team, but I do admire the success they had over the years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let me put on my flame-retardant suit here....

...alright there we go. I'm ready to say it...

I've gone from hating Tom Brady to respecting him. I still don't ever want to see him win, but I can't hate the guy for being incredibly good at what he does any more. I wish he had been a Steeler.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I hate the Pats of today but when I was a kid I used to think that the Pats helmet logo was pretty darn cool.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Let me put on my flame-retardant suit here....

...alright there we go. I'm ready to say it...

I've gone from hating Tom Brady to respecting him. I still don't ever want to see him win, but I can't hate the guy for being incredibly good at what he does any more. I wish he had been a Steeler.

I gotta agree with this on some level. I used to hate the Pats with a burning white hot fury. I just can't anymore, they're just too good. You have to respect them on some level.

The only way I would ever root for the Bengals or the Ravens over them is if they had 5 rings and were on their way to the SB. And even then, I'd still rather the Ravens not win... and hope for a SB loss.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I have a buddy in Boston who always ragged on Sid Crosby until we came to the conclusion that its a similar dynamic with Steeler hate towards Brady. It's hard to like Mr. Perfect when he is playing on the other team making millions while beating your team.

As much as I enjoy watching the Brady struggle when teams get pressure on him, my real antipathy for the Pats is towards Belichick for his general priggishness and mean-spiritedness (although damn what a good coach). I also always despised Bruschi, one of the games genuine cheap shot artists IMO.