Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Revenge of Bruce Arians

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Watch Haslam pay Cowher a boatload to become GM and Arians as HC with Gailey as OC then poach Butler for DC.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Andrew Luck was surrounded by a number of veterans which helped him a lot.

Reminded me of Ben when he was drafted and came to the 'Burgh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Arians returning to Cleveland as HC would be quite interesting. He failed miserably as their OC but maybe can make it work as an HC.
    While Indy was respectable this year, I personally think it was a partial mirage due to t heir very weak schedule. Yes, they thumped HOU but I am not convinced HOU pulled out the stops for that game.
    Houston had a bye if they won. They looked really pissed after the loss... why wouldnt they pull out all the stops?

Legend

User Info Menu

I had a feeling Arians would shine this year while we struggled. I defended BA a ton because most fans blamed him for crazy things that were beyond his control. If injuries are an excuse this year then what about every other year with BA? Our OL was always injured, Ben was always dinged up and we still had better chemistry and more wins.

You can say its emotion and Luck but Arians made do with what he had and they players responded to adversity. The exact opposite of what we witnessed in Pittsburgh this year. Love him or hate him I think he was the one guy who kept Ben hungry to win games. It loks like Ben has replaced his chip on the shoulder for other teams with one against our coaching staff. Teqms go the way the QB goes ajd right now it looks like Ben wanted to go home.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I had a feeling Arians would shine this year while we struggled. I defended BA a ton because most fans blamed him for crazy things that were beyond his control. If injuries are an excuse this year then what about every other year with BA? Our OL was always injured, Ben was always dinged up and we still had better chemistry and more wins.

You can say its emotion and Luck but Arians made do with what he had and they players responded to adversity. The exact opposite of what we witnessed in Pittsburgh this year. Love him or hate him I think he was the one guy who kept Ben hungry to win games. It loks like Ben has replaced his chip on the shoulder for other teams with one against our coaching staff. Teqms go the way the QB goes ajd right now it looks like Ben wanted to go home.
    The Steelers have a disgruntled employee who just happens to be their franchise QB. What should the organization do about it now? Give him what he wants (not sure he even knows what that is) or tell him to shut up and man up?

I think they desperately need to fix the OL and get Ben a running game for support. The lack of a bona-fide running game after he came back from injury was the undoing of this season. No one else to shoulder the load, it was all on Ben. That's gotta weigh heavy on someone who isn't 100% physically or mentally.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the FO already told Ben to man up and shut up... it worked for half the season and then the old Ben came back and reared its ugoy head. Maybe it was seeing BA and Luck get praise... maybe it was all the MVP talk in Haleys new O that rubbed him the wrong way, maybe the injury brought the old Ben out and he thought he needed to do it all?

Not sure... we were in most games and it came down to a play or 2 but if you look closer you saw missed check downs missed oped WR's, sacks that knocked us out of FG range and young funny crew making stupid mistakes.

I dont care if Ben had a ton of pressure or a ton on his plate.... he is our franchise QB and he gets paid a ton. The runnijg game sucked.. but it sucked other years and we made do... IMO I think Ben stunk it up and thats OK, it happens.. Ben isnt a Brady type QB and with him its usually good or uuuuuugly. The one thing I cant forgive him for are these sacks that knock us out ofbaFG range. Rokie QB's arent making this mistake but Ben still does. I think its time for Ben to respect his age and the age of his defenders. Those mircle throws while being draped by defenders are rare. Getting hit by 4 guys isnt cool and the ratio of Jacksonville miracle pass to fumble, sack, red zone sack isnt close at all.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think the FO already told Ben to man up and shut up... it worked for half the season and then the old Ben came back and reared its ugoy head. Maybe it was seeing BA and Luck get praise... maybe it was all the MVP talk in Haleys new O that rubbed him the wrong way, maybe the injury brought the old Ben out and he thought he needed to do it all?

Not sure... we were in most games and it came down to a play or 2 but if you look closer you saw missed check downs missed oped WR's, sacks that knocked us out of FG range and young funny crew making stupid mistakes.

I dont care if Ben had a ton of pressure or a ton on his plate.... he is our franchise QB and he gets paid a ton. The runnijg game sucked.. but it sucked other years and we made do... IMO I think Ben stunk it up and thats OK, it happens.. Ben isnt a Brady type QB and with him its usually good or uuuuuugly. The one thing I cant forgive him for are these sacks that knock us out ofbaFG range. Rokie QB's arent making this mistake but Ben still does. I think its time for Ben to respect his age and the age of his defenders. Those mircle throws while being draped by defenders are rare. Getting hit by 4 guys isnt cool and the ratio of Jacksonville miracle pass to fumble, sack, red zone sack isnt close at all.
    I really believe he was rushed back because of our awful backup situation. He was never really right again.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No question Bruce did a great job in Indy, they won what.... 2 games last year.

As for Ben or any QB, you need a supporting cast to do their job especially in critical moments of a game. The offense is only as good as it's other parts, when one part fails so does the offense as a whole.
    The O-line had their bad moments but also times when the blocking was there but the receivers didn't get open, thus Ben Holding the ball too long. When the receivers were open the line broke down and when you combine that with a bad run game it makes matters worse for an offense.
    We lost 5 games by 3 points, we were in most games but one or two plays cost us a win, again mistakes, penalties that killed drives could of been the difference in losing those games.

If one word could describe the 2012 Steelers it would be inconsistent. It seemed like it was pulling teeth for this offense to score points, and waiting for that one mistake to occur that made the difference in the games.
    Everyone is accountable for the lackluster year, players, coaches alike. They have a responsibility to right the ship as we look forward to the 2013 season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I hear you but doesnt it seem like every year we struggle to score points? Lets be honest... Ben is the culprit when it comes to a lack of consistency. Glad he is our QB but the red zone issues are all him.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 12-31-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

BA was and is a bum. The Colts had one lousy season prior to BA's arrival but before that, they were always in the playoffs, in the Super Bowl twice, winning one Super Bowl. The talent was there. Plug in a great rookie QB that played pro style football in college and what do you think ? Of course they would have success.
    If BA wants to impress , allow him a QB that is just okay and then see what that gets him.
    If BA does take a head coaching job, you might as well say goodbye to Kevein Butler from the Steelers.