Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hayward and Mclendon

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hayward and Mclendon

Is showing if they get a chance that they are better than what's been playing.. Every time I watch them they are collapsing the pocket and it make the season more frustrating because they haven't received the opportunity.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hayward and Mclendon

Is showing if they get a chance that they are better than what's been playing.. Every time I watch them they are collapsing the pocket and it make the season more frustrating because they haven't received the opportunity.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure why we don't see more of McClendon. Seems to be coming along fine.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm guessing that their problem is that they aren't very aware, because obviously (especially McLendon), they have some ability in collapsing the pocket.

If Heyward isn't starting next year, he is a bust. TBH, he should already be playing significant snaps (if he is a player of worth).

Backup

User Info Menu

With Hampton wanting to return next seasons, will we get to see McClendon as a starter ? Also, how bad is a number one draft pick if he can't make it as a starter ?

Legend

User Info Menu

McClendon not all that good in run support.... that his achilles heal IMO....

Rookie

User Info Menu

Coach Mitchell always defaults to the veteran players. Always.

I don't blame Heyward...nor McClendon for that matter...

Legend

User Info Menu

Who is the one making the decision not to play the players who get after the QB? That is the problem.

Sooner or later more and more folks are going to realize our roster contains defensive linemen suited to play the 4-3. They have the ability to get after the QB and collapse the pocket but one person wants to keep those round holes and pound square pegs into them.

Our current roster doesn't have the depth at LB to successfully continue with the 3-4 and it will take years to rebuild it. With the major roster changes in the off season that are likely to get under the cap, now is the perfect time to change.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 12-30-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

The defense was not the problem this year. McClendon's problem is playing the run - Hampton is still the better player against the run.

I would like to see more of McClendon on passing downs, but if Hampton wants to return on a smaller deal, I have no problem with that. McClendon is fine as a spot player but does not look to be a starter based on his difficulties with the run.

Legend

User Info Menu

Heyward's a bust after 2 years? Pfft.

Heyward is getting the benefit of not being rushed into a starting role like Hood was due to Smith's injuries. We are living through Hood's growing pains as he's had to learn on the run. Not being able to replace Brett Keisel is not a slight on a career.

McLendon is a pocket collapser, but can't draw double teams & stuff the run- the primary role of the Steelers 3-4 NT. He's Chris Hoke- the guy you rotate in to spell the big Bull at NT. We need THAT guy. There should be a few options available in Round 1, or if they have faith in Taámu/Fangupo, maybe Hampton gets another year in the Burgh.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE