Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allen could have bright future

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I agree. The Steelers look as if they have two young corners who could be more than adequate as starters in Lewis and Allen. But for this to happen (signing Lewis), Ike Taylor is going to have to be released. And I think that is the best move...considering the amount over the cap the Steelers are and the fact that Ike will be 33 next season and on the downside of his career.
    What will be the cap implications if they release Ike?

Legend

User Info Menu

I really hope the Steelers find a way to keep Lewis, Ike and Allen. You need three good corners in today's NFL, especially considering that you'll usually have a corner get dinged up for a few games during the season.

If Lewis leaves or if Ike is cut, you have Lewis/Allen, which is an ok starting tandem, but no depth behind them. Victorian? Curtis Brown? Ugh.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    What will be the cap implications if they release Ike?
    I could be wrong but I thought it was BigRob that showed it would save about $6 million dollars if they cut him at some point in this off season.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I could be wrong but I thought it was BigRob that showed it would save about $6 million dollars if they cut him at some point in this off season.
    [url]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ike-taylor/[/url]

He has cap numbers of just about 9.5M and 10.5M the next two years.

He has just under 3.5M in bonus money each of the next two years as well.

My understanding is that any bonus money owed is split over the remaining years if cut after June 1, so his cap hit would be 3.5M each of the next two years if that is the case, saving 6M this year and 7M next year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    [URL]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ike-taylor/[/URL]

He has cap numbers of just about 9.5M and 10.5M the next two years.

He has just under 3.5M in bonus money each of the next two years as well.

My understanding is that any bonus money owed is split over the remaining years if cut after June 1, so his cap hit would be 3.5M each of the next two years if that is the case, saving 6M this year and 7M next year.
    Yes that is what I had thought too. Do you think this is the best way to go? Cutting him and allowing Allen to take his spot and trying to re-sigh Lewis? Ike is on the downside and will be 33.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes that is what I had thought too. Do you think this is the best way to go? Cutting him and allowing Allen to take his spot and trying to re-sigh Lewis? Ike is on the downside and will be 33.

Not yet. I think they need to wait on getting rid of Ike one more year if possible even with Lewis re-signed. That's not to say anything about Lewis and Allen, but more so about the depth behind them.

When looking at defensive vets to cut, I would have to look at Keisel first just because of the guys ready to go behind him. You've got a 1st round pick there, can't wait on him forever if you need cap space opened up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I really hope the Steelers find a way to keep Lewis, Ike and Allen. You need three good corners in today's NFL, especially considering that you'll usually have a corner get dinged up for a few games during the season.

If Lewis leaves or if Ike is cut, you have Lewis/Allen, which is an ok starting tandem, but no depth behind them. Victorian? Curtis Brown? Ugh.
    Agree strongly with phillyesq. Keep all three. Better to go with them and (written with sadness) let James go, and let Casey go. I'd rather keep the three DB's and go without Woodley if it weren't so cap-heavy to let him go. I'd rather see Worilds is Woodley's spot.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I like Cortez a lot. Hope we bring back Keenan as well.
    I don't like him "a lot", but I do like him. Lewis too. (Curtis Brown flopped as a corner though. I'm convinced he is nothing more than a special teams maven, who I don't even like to have playing in dime defenses.

Ike/Keenan are both solid, #2 corners who did grow this year. Neither shows top-notch potential & big-play making ability.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I don't like him "a lot", but I do like him. Lewis too. (Curtis Brown flopped as a corner though. I'm convinced he is nothing more than a special teams maven, who I don't even like to have playing in dime defenses.

Ike/Keenan are both solid, #2 corners who did grow this year. Neither shows top-notch potential & big-play making ability.
    I totally disagree. Lewis showed #1 corner potential this season, especially before he got injured. Cortez also showed he's got the tools to make the big play. He goes up for the ball and challenges it every chance he gets and because of his size he does it a lot. He's only going to get better, the same can be said for Lewis. I'd also argue that Ike is a number 1 corner he just has terrible hands.
    Last edited by Snatch98; 12-31-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Agree strongly with phillyesq. Keep all three. Better to go with them and (written with sadness) let James go, and let Casey go. I'd rather keep the three DB's and go without Woodley if it weren't so cap-heavy to let him go. I'd rather see Worilds is Woodley's spot.
    I think you guys are crazy. To keep Ike who is on the down side of his career, will be 33 next year, and who makes over $9 million dollars just to have depth when the Steelers are nearly $30 million over the cap is crazy.